The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Believe it or not... » » Coney Island Memories (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

dpe666
View Profile
Inner circle
2894 Posts

Profile of dpe666
This is probably the best Coney video I have seen so far. Oh, BTW, I had my 1st sideshow performance yesterday, and it was fantastic. The audience ate it up. I can't wait to do the show again. Smile

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WqkUjHn-r......resh+div
Harley Newman
View Profile
Inner circle
5112 Posts

Profile of Harley Newman
I'm guessing it was pretty different than doing magic. Keep it up!
“You can’t depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus” -Mark Twain

www.bladewalker.com
dpe666
View Profile
Inner circle
2894 Posts

Profile of dpe666
Quote:
On 2009-07-26 20:03, Harley Newman wrote:
I'm guessing it was pretty different than doing magic. Keep it up!

It was FARRRRRRRRRRRR better than doing magic! Smile
Harley Newman
View Profile
Inner circle
5112 Posts

Profile of Harley Newman
I think one of the things I like best about it...if you're doing something the audience perceives as real, their response is also real. If they perceive illusion, it's different.
“You can’t depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus” -Mark Twain

www.bladewalker.com
Todd Robbins
View Profile
V.I.P.
New York
2907 Posts

Profile of Todd Robbins
That film is very nice. As I watched some of the modern footage I realized that much of what is shown there has also disappeared.
Addy
View Profile
Loyal user
NY
243 Posts

Profile of Addy
You really must check out Charles Denson's site http://www.coneyislandhistory.org/
Get to the oral history archive. Some great testimonials and interviews. I was at Denson's lecture today about Coney Island Creek. It was very informative and he had a great powerpoint show with some beautiful old photos of the area back when everything north of Neptune Ave. was farmland.
And congrats on your first sideshow performance. Which acts did you perform?
dpe666
View Profile
Inner circle
2894 Posts

Profile of dpe666
Quote:
On 2009-07-27 00:13, Addy wrote:
Which acts did you perform?

Aside from some "regular" magic I ate fire and glass, put my hand in an animal trap, popcorn kernal from the eye, blockhead, a chain escape, a straightjacket, and broke a cider block over my head. Apparently, I am the only person in Idaho who does these things. So, my "ten-in-one" is a one man show. Oh, also I have a belly dancer who does the most incredible dance I have ever seen. Smile
Kondini
View Profile
Inner circle
3612 Posts

Profile of Kondini
Have you any pics / video of the belly dancer !
dpe666
View Profile
Inner circle
2894 Posts

Profile of dpe666
Quote:
On 2009-07-27 13:29, Kondini wrote:
Have you any pics / video of the belly dancer !

Pretty soon. Smile
Addy
View Profile
Loyal user
NY
243 Posts

Profile of Addy
Nice!
dpe666
View Profile
Inner circle
2894 Posts

Profile of dpe666
There is another stunt that I really want to learn. The mouse trap on the tongue. If anyone out there is willing to help me learn this one, PM me plz. Smile
Harley Newman
View Profile
Inner circle
5112 Posts

Profile of Harley Newman
Brad Byers is from Idaho, and is a talented performer.

www.bladewalker.com
dpe666
View Profile
Inner circle
2894 Posts

Profile of dpe666
Quote:
On 2009-07-27 23:47, Harley Newman wrote:
Brad Byers is from Idaho, and is a talented performer.

Any contact information for him? Smile
Freak Prodigy
View Profile
Inner circle
NYC & LA
1805 Posts

Profile of Freak Prodigy
His website.
Blog:
http://www.bloudermilk.blogspot.com
View Profile
Inner circle
5112 Posts

Profile of Harley Newman

www.bladewalker.com
Doug Higley
View Profile
V.I.P.
Here and There
7173 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
And Brad owns a Higley! I made him a weird Spider YEARS and years ago for his Spider show. Very cool guy.

Steeple Chase stuff From 'Scary Dark Rides'

"The main drag was and is Surf Avenue where brothers in-law Fred Sindell and Dave Rosen had their huge competing side shows. Prior to those two there was the gigantic Wagner Grump Circus Side Show that took up an entire block! Sometimes an abandoned store front was taken over by some ambitious soul and turned into a 'Single-O'. This was a one act or one exhibit show that would cost a dime. In one of these you could see a famous human oddity like Emmit,The Alligator Man (when he was freelancing) or some odd ball museum exhibit like John Dillinger's pickled weenie. Fun Houses were everywhere as were the rides left over from the days when lawyers hadn't been invented yet. Rides that would scare the hell out of you just by looking at them! The Steeple Chase Park and Luna Park come to mind. Just remnants of their former glory (which began in the early 19th century...Coney attractions had the HOT rides in the 1890's!). These two parks were still money traps to 50's kids. Steeple Chase was a fenced area which was semi-themed and had an admission with a ticket that got punched as you rode the paid for amount of rides, years before Disney did it with A through E tickets. Luna in the 50's was just whatever rides were left over from the old days with a few independent operators leasing space for more modern rides. It was Steeple Chase I remember more. As a little kid I hated it! But my Mother always dragged me in anyway. There were spinning discs that threatened to catch and rip out your hair (they never did) as you spun on to them after a fast trip down a huge wooden slide that would give you friction burn scars for life. There was the namesake ride, the Steeple Chase, which was a cross between a roller coaster and an insane merry-go-round from hell. You got on the horses which traveled very near the speed of light along a track of camel humps and sharp turns and you were on the friggin' horse un-encumbered by anything resembling a safety devise! Then...when you got off the ride there was the EVIL MIDGET CLOWN (Clown? Ha!) who held a real electric cattle prod! This little *** loved to see a 10 year old come through so he could goose him full power. I hate electric shocks and that 'clown' to this day! I have forgiven everyone else in my long life but not him. Never."
Higley's Giant Flea Pocket Zibit
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Believe it or not... » » Coney Island Memories (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.24 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL