The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » 5 Zibits (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Jay Are
View Profile
Inner circle
4186 Posts

Profile of Jay Are
Hey everyone...

I am putting 5 exhibits together for a "victorian" era costume ball for a corperate client.

The pieces are going to be a mix of some cursed/ haunted items, some DH work, and a few other goodies.

My question to the board...

Guests will be milling about and looking at the exhibits un guided.

I want to be sure that no one is able to touch these rare and beautiful gems...

any suggestions for having exhibits on display in an un supervised enviroment. I am thinking of a museum style set up but have no source for the fixtures, and am wondering if that will hinder the "mystery" of the pieces at all.

Another option is having each one of the pieces in a seperate room behind a closed door.

hmmm...

thoughts?

J
xxx
Doug Higley
View Profile
1942 - 2022
7152 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
The more accessable the better but not som accessable as to get 'lifted' or damaged.

I would use wooden boxes. Take the box and cut an appropriate opening. Take a Frame with Plexiglass and make a WINDOW to look in to. Attach over the cut out on the box. Make sure any lighting in the box is not overly HOT. These can be wall monted(have a small shelf in the box) or laying down to look into. Use Plexiglass and not real glass for saftey. Make as many as you need...they will be cheap and you can paint them black or white or whatever.
Higley's Giant Flea Pocket Zibit
Jay Are
View Profile
Inner circle
4186 Posts

Profile of Jay Are
Thanks doug...great tips.

Anyone have plans for an easily tansportable wooden box?

J
xxx
Doug Higley
View Profile
1942 - 2022
7152 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
Uh...take 6 pieces of wood...adhere them to one enother....Smile
Philemon Vanderbeck
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
4698 Posts

Profile of Philemon Vanderbeck
For the truly adventurous, you can take 24 pieces of wood and attach them all to right angles to each other, and create a hypercube box that will allow you to display up to 6 Zibits simultaneously.
Professor Philemon Vanderbeck
That Creepy Magician
"I use my sixth sense to create the illusion of possessing the other five."
hou_dini
View Profile
Regular user
103 Posts

Profile of hou_dini
Make a second window topside (the other in front) so exterior lighting can be used. that way you won't necessarily heat up the inside of the box and the zibit.
Doug Higley
View Profile
1942 - 2022
7152 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
Yep.
Or get a shelf unit. SDcreew a piece of plywood over it. Cut 'windows in the plkywood infront of the shelves. Take Picture frames with plexi and create a wall of 'cases' even thogh the exhibits are just sitting on the shelves. (Backing can be used with a piece of black cloth stapled to the shelf unit.)
KOTAH
View Profile
Inner circle
2290 Posts

Profile of KOTAH
Allthis talk of boards and boxes makes me want to ressurrect my story Wood shop teachers and Lumber jacks,"

Where is Pete Seeger when you really need him?

Kotah
Waterloophai
View Profile
Inner circle
Belgium
1369 Posts

Profile of Waterloophai
In my country you can hire special exhibit cases and tables like the ones in museums.
Surely you can too in your country.
ghostgaff
View Profile
Regular user
North Carolina
106 Posts

Profile of ghostgaff
Quote:
On 2009-07-27 17:56, Philemon Vanderbeck wrote:
For the truly adventurous, you can take 24 pieces of wood and attach them all to right angles to each other, and create a hypercube box that will allow you to display up to 6 Zibits simultaneously.

That would be 24 pieces of wood and a 4th dimention, but heck, if you can get a 4th dimention, do ahead ang get another, then tell me where one might accuire another dimention (memories of math class and the twilight zone are flashing before my eyes).
"The prince of darkness is a gentleman"-
"All the world's a stage, and the people merley actors."-
Shakespeare
The Curator
View Profile
V.I.P.
Beware Vampire, I have
3910 Posts

Profile of The Curator
Quote:
On 2009-07-28 03:35, Waterloophai wrote:
In my country you can hire special exhibit cases and tables like the ones in museums.
Surely you can too in your country.

Any address ?
I'd like to compare prices.
handa
View Profile
Inner circle
Pittsburgh, PA
1357 Posts

Profile of handa
Your local craft store (for me it is Michael's or JoAnn's) should sell display cases of various sizes for a reasonable price. Both places have rolling sales on framing/display items, and Michael's publishes a 40% off coupon for one item per purchase every other week.

I've also had considerable luck w/ finding display cases at a local closeout store. The smallest size I've seen at closeout stores is intended to display a baseball and the largest has been a coffee table with a hinged lid that doubles as a display case. In-between, you find cases intended for footballs, basketballs, model cars, model airplanes (more flat and my turtle girl is in one of these), and various size collector dolls.

Chris
RicHeka
View Profile
Inner circle
3999 Posts

Profile of RicHeka
I purchased a Victorian style wood case at Michaels[I have also seen similar cases at other craft/art stores].[Around $20.00]

Then I had a local glass store make a custom glass cover to fit inside the case.[$30.00].

It looks nice and makes for easy transport and display.

http://s284.photobucket.com/albums/ll36/MahaRichie/

Rich
Waterloophai
View Profile
Inner circle
Belgium
1369 Posts

Profile of Waterloophai
Quote:
Any address ?
I'd like to compare prices.

Here are some.
http://www.expogamma.be/N_verhuur_list.asp?category_id=1

http://vindopkaart.truvo.be/Expo_Gamma_N......918.html

If you search via Google (toonkasten te huur or vitrine louer)
you find several.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » 5 Zibits (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL