The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » What PS3 game are you currently playing? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
Voldemort
View Profile
Special user
Florida
562 Posts

Profile of Voldemort
Have you played 'Eternal Sonata' Ed? It originally came out on the 360 but was updated and released for the PS3 later. Beautiful, Beautiful game.

You sound like quite an RPG fan. I am as well.
"Flight from death"
Buy the WILD AT HEART e-book to help Rachael Columbini here: http://www.lybrary.com/wild-heart-p-76110.html
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2732 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Kinda. I seem to prefer RPG or Platform games with RPG elements. On my old PS2, I loved "Ratchet and Clank" and "Kingdom Hearts"

I've discovered Half-Life 2 on "The Orange Box" (got it originally for "Portal.")
"There's no time to lose," I heard her say.
"Catch your dreams before they slip away."
"Dying all the time, lose your dreams and you could lose your mind.
Ain't life unkind?"
Voldemort
View Profile
Special user
Florida
562 Posts

Profile of Voldemort
Sounds just about the same as me.

If you haven't tried Eternal Sonata I highly recommend it. I'm sure you would like it given that you like Kingdom Hearts.
"Flight from death"
Buy the WILD AT HEART e-book to help Rachael Columbini here: http://www.lybrary.com/wild-heart-p-76110.html
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2732 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
I'm going to have to keep an eye on this thread and start writing down some names!

Thanks for the suggestions everyone.

...and, when KH3 gets released here, there WILL be a PS3 in the Rhodes household!
Ain't life unkind?"
Voldemort
View Profile
Special user
Florida
562 Posts

Profile of Voldemort
Well at least the price for the PS3 is coming down now. The slim 120 GB version is $300.00. Not bad considering that in the beginning they were almost $600.00 for a 20GB.

So its good that you waited Ed.
"Flight from death"
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2732 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Oh yeah, I'm never "cutting edge." I wait and see what shakes out before I make my decision. I'd like to say that's because I'm a shrewd, calulating observer of trends and fads... but actually I'm just both cheap and poor and have to wait.
Ain't life unkind?"
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2732 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Wife wants to know, does the 80 GB PS3 support Blu-ray or only the 160 GB? I'd like to avoid spending another $100 for the upgrade if I don't have to.
Ain't life unkind?"
Dirko
View Profile
Loyal user
Michigan
295 Posts

Profile of Dirko
Yes the 8o gb is also a blue ray player.
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2732 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Thank you. There will be a PS3 in the house... oh yes, there will!
Ain't life unkind?"
Voldemort
View Profile
Special user
Florida
562 Posts

Profile of Voldemort
Yeah there are no upgrades Ed. Every PS3 is a blu-ray player from the first one ever sold to the ones on the market today. Right out of the box.
"Flight from death"
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3079 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
So, if I'm going to get a PS3 for Christmas, I've got questions. The first one is whether I should buy now, or should I expect a bunch of special offers as Christmas approaches?

The second question is where to even start finding a game I would like. My son wants the console mainly for FIFA 10, so that's what he's going to get under the tree. But I ain't buying him a machine unless I can find something for ME. (Hey, it's my money, right?) Keep in mind that here in Germany the current titles cost about $100 a pop--roughly twice what you'd pay by ordering from Amazon in the States. Do you know how many Higleys I could buy for $100?

I haven't owned a console since the original Playstation. Here's my taste in games: I played Tomb Raider a lot (1 and 2; bought 3 and 4 but never played them through), enjoyed Resident Evil, but totally MASTERED Final Fantasy VII. On the PC I played through Wolfenstein, Doom, Diablo and then Diablo II as they came out. I still play Diablo II online. I'm still waiting for Exmortis 3 to come online.

What I LOVE is atmosphere...preferably dark and creepy. Action is almost irrelevant. What I loved about Tomb Raider was the exploration...the feeling like I was in another world. When she had to pull out her guns I thought it a bore.

I just watched a video review of "Batman: Arkham Asylum", at it has EXACTLY the dark and creepy look I like. Has anyone played it? I'm not sure if the martial arts angle will appeal to me. Never played a game like that before.

I also watched a movie with Brigitte Lahaie this afternoon, but that has nothing to do with this thread.

Lastly, I also just watched a demo of Drake's Fortune. Looks like a great game in the tradition of Tomb Raider. But it doesn't seem very dark and creepy, and the stuff I didn't like about tomb raider--all the shooting, which I found irritating--seems to be VERY important (based on the demo I watched).

So, any thoughts?

Oh, and are all controllers wireless these days? Does that work, or do you have to keep your hands pointed at the console all the time?

Any other purchasing tips would also be appreciated.
Geoff Weber
View Profile
Inner circle
Washington DC
1359 Posts

Profile of Geoff Weber
Quote:
On 2009-09-12 16:44, stoneunhinged wrote:
What I LOVE is atmosphere...preferably dark and creepy. Action is almost irrelevant. What I loved about Tomb Raider was the exploration...the feeling like I was in another world. When she had to pull out her guns I thought it a bore.

I just watched a video review of "Batman: Arkham Asylum", at it has EXACTLY the dark and creepy look I like. Has anyone played it? I'm not sure if the martial arts angle will appeal to me. Never played a game like that before.

I would say Bioshock is the game for you. That game has tons of atmosphere. I have also heard great things about Arkham Asylum.
Dirko
View Profile
Loyal user
Michigan
295 Posts

Profile of Dirko
I bought Arkham Asylum and give it 2 thumbs up!
kcg5
View Profile
Inner circle
who wants four fried chickens and a coke
1875 Posts

Profile of kcg5
You can also charge things with a USB port from the ps3, upload a USB memory stick to it, and use it as a cd player ( or save the music to the hard drive)

jeff, go to gamespot.com. U can search for reviews on all games.
Nobody expects the spanish inquisition!!!!!

"History will be kind to me, as I intend to write it"- Sir Winston Churchill
kid iowa
View Profile
Loyal user
Oklahoma
300 Posts

Profile of kid iowa
Are you able to play PS2 games on the PS3? I've been reading conflicting info about that aspect.
Any man who may be asked in this century what he did to make his life worthwhile...can respond with a good deal of pride and satisfaction, "I served in the United States Navy." J.F.K.
Voldemort
View Profile
Special user
Florida
562 Posts

Profile of Voldemort
Quote:
On 2009-09-16 08:07, kid iowa wrote:
Are you able to play PS2 games on the PS3? I've been reading conflicting info about that aspect.

It depends unfortunatly. On some of the older models, You can play PS2 games. After the PS3 was in production for a while, Sony decided to phase out PS2 backward compatability. Why? Well I guess it had to do with the cost of the system. At least that was the word. It didn't make much sense to me but of course, I'm nobody. Oddly enough, I beleive all PS3's, even the new models, can play PS1 games. I guess its a different emulator.

My PS3 CAN play PS2 and Ps1 gsames. You can find them for sale on e-bay and gamestop sells them as refurbished or used systems.

A great deal of rumors abound about the possibility of a firmware update and a downloadable catalog of PS2 games. This seems to be something that may be in the near future although Sony has not confirmed it. The Newer PS3's will still not be able to play disk based PS2 games, Only the downloadable PS2 games that have been re-written for that purpose.

As I said, The whole thing makes no sense to me. It seems kind of stupid to phase out hundreds of games that could be sold for use on the new system. The only explination I can come up with is that there will indeed be a downloadable catalog of PS2 games in the future.
"Flight from death"
Voldemort
View Profile
Special user
Florida
562 Posts

Profile of Voldemort
Quote:
On 2009-09-12 16:44, stoneunhinged wrote:
So, if I'm going to get a PS3 for Christmas, I've got questions. The first one is whether I should buy now, or should I expect a bunch of special offers as Christmas approaches?

The second question is where to even start finding a game I would like. My son wants the console mainly for FIFA 10, so that's what he's going to get under the tree. But I ain't buying him a machine unless I can find something for ME. (Hey, it's my money, right?) Keep in mind that here in Germany the current titles cost about $100 a pop--roughly twice what you'd pay by ordering from Amazon in the States. Do you know how many Higleys I could buy for $100?

I haven't owned a console since the original Playstation. Here's my taste in games: I played Tomb Raider a lot (1 and 2; bought 3 and 4 but never played them through), enjoyed Resident Evil, but totally MASTERED Final Fantasy VII. On the PC I played through Wolfenstein, Doom, Diablo and then Diablo II as they came out. I still play Diablo II online. I'm still waiting for Exmortis 3 to come online.

I also watched a movie with Brigitte Lahaie this afternoon, but that has nothing to do with this thread.

Lastly, I also just watched a demo of Drake's Fortune. Looks like a great game in the tradition of Tomb Raider. But it doesn't seem very dark and creepy, and the stuff I didn't like about tomb raider--all the shooting, which I found irritating--seems to be VERY important (based on the demo I watched).

So, any thoughts?

Oh, and are all controllers wireless these days? Does that work, or do you have to keep your hands pointed at the console all the time?

Any other purchasing tips would also be appreciated.

WOW... that's a lot of questions! LOL

But its good that your asking BEFORE you buy.

Firstly, Because you liked Diablo and D2 I'm going to assume that you like RPG's (Role playing games). Is that correct? I understand that you like the exploration side of it but as I remember Diablo and D2 were combat based Hack 'n slashers. So if that kind of thing is you cup of joe I'll point you in the direction of a game called Oblivion (The elder scrolls 4). Lots of quests and dungon crawling and exploring in that title and a good story to boot.

There are other tomb raider games as well. The last one came out about a year ago called 'Tomb raider - underworld' so you may be interested in that. If you snag a PS3 with backward compatability (See my above post), You can get a the original Tomb raider in an updated form called "anniversary" made for PS2. They did a super job of updating the game and it really great. There are lot of other tomb raider games as well.

All that being said I'm still going to recommened Uncharted (Drakes fortune) to you as well. It does have a lot of gun play but it fits the exploration bill and IMHO was a great game.

Sorry, But I have not played "Batman" yet. However It has gotten GREAT reveiws from both the critics and players.

Yes, Most of the controlers are indeed wireless these days. PS3 (Well mostly all systems) utilize bluetooth tech. Really really great stuff. 0 lag and I can play my PS3 two rooms away if I like. So no, You do not have to keep the controller pointed at the console or even in the near vicinity.

There MAY be some deals you can find this coming holiday season. I'm not sure about that though because historically consoles don't seem to be on sale much.

If you want to try for backwards compatibility so that you can play PS2 games, And you don't mind buying a used system, I'd try hitting up E-bay or http://www.gamestop.com

If you want a new system, The 120GB PS3 slims are out now and from what I hear they are great.

There are a lot of options when buying a new system these days. (At least for now) And the slim is $300.00. You can get a used 20GB PS3 for $279.00 at gamestop that "should" (Ask to make sure) be backwards compatable and play PS2 games.

I hope that answers some of your questions. If you need anything else I'll try to answer as best I can.
"Flight from death"
Turk
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
3545 Posts

Profile of Turk
PS3? Nothing. I'm still stuck on PC games--particularly "Lode Runner Returns".

"Hi, my name is Mike and I'm addicted to "Lode Runner Returns"."

"Hello, Mike. Welcome."

"Anyone else addicted to this game and who wishes to exchange homemade levels?"
Magic is a vanishing Art.

This must not be Kansas anymore, Toto.

Eschew obfuscation.
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3079 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
Voldemort, thanks a ton for the detailed response. I appreciate it.

Yes, I love RPGs. But any die-hard Diablo fan will tell you that the combat was not, is not, and will never be the point of the game. The point of the game is finding STUFF. How good the STUFF is is tested by combat, but the goal is to acquire such good STUFF that combat becomes a cakewalk.

We have a gamestop here in town. Pretty new, actually. But I'll probably buy my machine there to support them.

Thanks for the game tips.
Voldemort
View Profile
Special user
Florida
562 Posts

Profile of Voldemort
Your very welcome Jeff!! Smile

Yeah, your 100% correct about Diablo. I have not played it in a couple years now and I did not mean to imply that it was simply about combat. I was just trying to get a feel for what you may or may not have liked about it as to give you some better recomendations.

I can now state that no reservation that you would probably LOVE Oblivion. I'd definatly try it out when and if you get a PS3. In fact you can pick it up used at gamestop for around $20.00 for the regular edition, and $30.00 for the Game of the year edition that includes even more quests and even more "Stuff" to find and play with. I have to warn you though, To finish that game and all the side quests will take a looong time! With all the games for the PS3 it would be as good a place to start as any.

If your looking for a backward compatable PS3, Here are some of the model numbers and info to help you find one.

120GB
Model Number CECH-2001A
USB Ports 2
Backward Compatible No
Release Date September 2009
In Production Yes

160GB
Model Number CECHP01
USB Ports 2
Backward Compatible No
Release Date November 2008
In Production No

80GB
Model Number CECHL01
USB Ports 2
Backward Compatible No
Release Date October 2008
In Production No

80GB
Model Number CECHK01
USB Ports 2
Backward Compatible No
Release Date August 2008
In Production No

80GB
Model Number CECHE01
USB Ports 4
Backward Compatible Yes !!!!
Release Date August 2007
In Production No

60GB
Model Number CECHA01
USB Ports 4
Release Date November 2006
In Production No

40GB
Model Number CECHH01
USB Ports 2
Backward Compatible No
Release Date March 2008
In Production No

40GB
Model Number CECHG01
USB Ports 2
Backward Compatible No
Release Date November 2007
In Production No

20GB
Model Number CECHB01
USB Ports 4
Release Date November 2006
In Production No
"Flight from death"
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » What PS3 game are you currently playing? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.27 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL