The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Did you hear the latest? » » Copperfield Bay? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Futureal
View Profile
Inner circle
Sunny Idaho
1548 Posts

Profile of Futureal
Don't worry, Copperfield doesn't have a "Trick List".
Voldemort
View Profile
Special user
Florida
562 Posts

Profile of Voldemort
Quote:
On 2009-07-28 18:47, magicnewswire wrote:
Quote:
On 2009-07-28 17:18, MagicBus wrote:
You are welcome to stay at my house for only a 10th of what Cooperfield charges ($3,700 per night is my rate). And I live only 40 minutes away from Abbott's. See you soon!

Does that includes rooms for 26, food and beverage with cooks on call, vehicle rentals, boats, pool access etc?

We should all pull together for the next Get Together.

$37,000.00 for one night? I'll get you whatever you like!

Anyway, Vehicle rentals? Where are you going to drive to on that island?
"Flight from death"
Buy the WILD AT HEART e-book to help Rachael Columbini here: http://www.lybrary.com/wild-heart-p-76110.html
MickeyPainless
View Profile
Inner circle
California
6074 Posts

Profile of MickeyPainless
I wonder if he'd negotiate 3 nights for an even $100K?
ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3999 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
I've been there, and it is worth every penny...

April Fool!!! Smile
Things are more like they are today than they've ever been before...
magicnorm
View Profile
Loyal user
253 Posts

Profile of magicnorm
Does he run the resort as a resort or just for private friends. How does he find the time with his incredible performing schedule.
Carrie Sue
View Profile
Veteran user
Auburn, MI
332 Posts

Profile of Carrie Sue
Quote:
On 2009-07-28 00:11, BarryFernelius wrote:
For only $37,500.00 per DAY*, you and eleven of your closest friends can enjoy all of the amenities of David's own private islands in the Bahamas. A bargain!

*Includes all food and beverages but doesn't include the 7% room tax, international calls, gratuities, fireworks shows, etc.

The magazine reports it's actually $37,500 per day FOR EACH GUEST up to 12, and then there's a bit of a price break after that up to 24 people.

Yeah, I'm going there this weekend.

NOT!

This is so far above anything I could ever dream about, I'd need a miracle to be able to experience it.

Success to David, but it's too bad he couldn't open his islands at a more reasonable resort rate, even for a limited time.

Carrie
www.proximityillusions.com

ASLAN IS ON THE MOVE!
BarryFernelius
View Profile
Inner circle
Still learning, even though I've made
2531 Posts

Profile of BarryFernelius
Hi Carrie,

The rates that I quoted were based on the website, not on the magazine article. The Copperfield Bay website says this with respect to the rates:

"Rates effective September 2008 (in US Dollars)
Island base rate per day, up to 12 persons:  $37,500
For parties of 13-18 people, add $1,500 for each additional
person per day to the base rate of $37,500
For parties more than 18 people, add $1000 for each additional person per day to the rate of $46,500  (maximum of 24 people)"

Unless I'm reading this incorrectly, the rate isn't $37,500.00 per day per person -- unless you want to go to the island all by yourself.

(No worries; I won't be going there any time soon.)
"To achieve great things, two things are needed: a plan and not quite enough time."

-Leonard Bernstein
pepka
View Profile
Inner circle
Uh, I'm the one on the right.
5041 Posts

Profile of pepka
I think there are a few reasons why it's so expensive. Other than the services and things available, how about the fact that if it were $50 a night EVERYBODY would be there. You are paying the the exclusivity to it. What good is owning a private island paradise with personal chefs, and your own movie screen on the beach if you're gonna treat it like a HoJos with an automat and VCR? Good for him for making it exclusive.
RobertSmith
View Profile
Veteran user
331 Posts

Profile of RobertSmith
The sad thing is they charge extra for scuba diving. hahah

Mind you, if you can afford $37k/night then a $100 dive trip shouldn't be a big deal.
jlevey
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
2133 Posts

Profile of jlevey
...what!!!??? I thought I read that the diving trips were a minimum of 28KK per dive (party of 2-4). Smile
Jonathan
Max & Maxine Entertainment
Magicians with a touch of comedy!
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
6018 Posts

Profile of Dennis Michael
It's designed for the rich and famous, as well as Kings, Queens, Princess, government leaders, etc. I doubt a birthday magician will ever get to see it outside the internet.
Dennis Michael
Katie Egleston
View Profile
New user
Las Vegas, NV
8 Posts

Profile of Katie Egleston
I don't think Magic Magazine ran the article in order to advertise Musha Cay. I think the point was that even though David Copperfield doesn't seem to be involved in the local magic community, he still likes to incorporate magic in his business ventures, such as a Houdini Seance game room and a magical treasure hunt led by a crew of crazy pirates.

Everyone from the people who own Google to Oprah to Dr. Dre have rented out the islands. Yes, extra activities cost a ridiculous amount of extra money, but if you are renting out the island for just over $40,000 a day what is an extra couple thousand to go scuba diving or have a drive in movie set up on the beach?

Again, I think the article was to be more inspiring in using magic in your everyday lives than it was to make you jealous or feel bad about yourselves.

Just a thought...

KK
magicnewswire
View Profile
Inner circle
1946 Posts

Profile of magicnewswire
I just posted our monthly chat with Stan Allen of Magic Magazine in which we discuss this story and why he featured it on the cover of Magic Magazine. LISTEN HERE
Dodd Vickers

Host/Producer/Editor

The Magic Newswire

Twitter

iTunes Link
magicnorm
View Profile
Loyal user
253 Posts

Profile of magicnorm
I was hoping for maybe a convention being hosted there someday. What a blast that would be.
Jay Mahon
View Profile
Special user
983 Posts

Profile of Jay Mahon
How many people here read the article? Its more about the magic on the island and gives insight into David as a creator and how he incorporates magic into everything.

Katie knows, I'd listen to her...

Arrrrrrrr...

J
Turk
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
3546 Posts

Profile of Turk
Quote:
On 2009-08-03 14:04, BarryFernelius wrote:
Hi Carrie,

The rates that I quoted were based on the website, not on the magazine article. The Copperfield Bay website says this with respect to the rates:

"Rates effective September 2008 (in US Dollars)
Island base rate per day, up to 12 persons:  $37,500
For parties of 13-18 people, add $1,500 for each additional
person per day to the base rate of $37,500
For parties more than 18 people, add $1000 for each additional person per day to the rate of $46,500  (maximum of 24 people)"

Unless I'm reading this incorrectly, the rate isn't $37,500.00 per day per person -- unless you want to go to the island all by yourself.

(No worries; I won't be going there any time soon.)

I was going to ask the same question.

I initially thought that the $37,500/day was a group charge that allowed up to 12 people to be in the group and that the total charge would be $37,500.00/day for that total group.

However, in looking at the charges for parites of over 12, that is for parties of 13-18 there is an additional charge of $1,500.00/day/person. Now I'm wondering if the base rate of $37,500 is also an individual rate for each person in a party that doesn't exceed 12 in number.

A very confusing wording.

Doesn't matter, however. I was wanting to go with a group of 12 buddies but the extra $1,500.00/person/day became a deal breaker for me. I'll just stay home and cut my lawn (almost said "grass" but I didn't want to use a term that might cause some Café members to wonder what I was intending to do.)

Later,

Mike
Magic is a vanishing Art.

This must not be Kansas anymore, Toto.

Eschew obfuscation.
BarryFernelius
View Profile
Inner circle
Still learning, even though I've made
2531 Posts

Profile of BarryFernelius
This is how I read it:

$37,500 total per day for up to 12 people
$39,000 total per day for 13 people
$40,500 total per day for 14 people
$42,000 total per day for 15 people
$43,500 total per day for 16 people
$45,000 total per day for 17 people
$46,500 total per day for 18 people (Hmm, matches the amount they mentioned.)

Then,
$47,500 total per day for 19 people
(and so forth...)
$52,500 total per day for 24 people (Very reasonable; only $2,187.50 per day per person!)

And if you want to have 25 people in your party, you're out of luck!
"To achieve great things, two things are needed: a plan and not quite enough time."

-Leonard Bernstein
Ireland
View Profile
Loyal user
Regina, Sask. Canada
217 Posts

Profile of Ireland
To quote a well known motel chain..."When you're asleep, all rooms look the same."
The great Gumbini
View Profile
Inner circle
1838 Posts

Profile of The great Gumbini
Room at DC's resort-----$35,000 a night.

Meals and drinks-----$5,000.00.

Clothes to look your best-----$10,000.00.

Look on your wife's face when you return broke-----Priceless!

Good magic to all,

Eric
silverking
View Profile
Inner circle
4586 Posts

Profile of silverking
I'd prefer 3 hours at DC's Las Vegas warehouse over 3 weeks on his island.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Did you hear the latest? » » Copperfield Bay? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL