The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Short thimble routine ! Your thoughts (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Whit Haydn
View Profile
V.I.P.
5449 Posts

Profile of Whit Haydn
Quote:
On 2009-07-28 13:37, DDecae wrote:
The vanishes are astounding, very well executed.
Thimble magic is so 19th century, but I still like it!
Thanks for sharing.

What is wrong with the 19th Century? Smile
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
And linking rings?
Traced possible origins in the Czech Repuplic National Museum to the year 2-BC ( don't know how to designate that in "Century" )
:kermit:
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
solrak29
View Profile
Special user
NY Metro
936 Posts

Profile of solrak29
Quote:
On 2009-07-29 15:59, DDecae wrote:
Do you mean counter-productive? or counter-intuitive?
I suppose it may seem illogical to magically create a jumbo thimble, to then only make it disappear again - unless of course the appearance was just an illusion and it never really existed...

Anti-climatic....that was the word...I had to watch my Gazzo DVD to see what that
word was again. In this case it is magical to produce the jumbo thimble, but perhaps anti-climatic if you continue on from there without doing something more exceptional than the initial surprise.
To Find Me On The Pitch, Follow me :On Twitter
Checkout my pseudo blog : The Sidewalk Performers Forum

"I intend to live forever, or die trying" - Groucho Marx
Mad_Lewis
View Profile
Loyal user
France
300 Posts

Profile of Mad_Lewis
Thanks to all for your advices and applauses, those are what make me better. this routine has been inspired to me when watching gary darwin's thimble routine. the funny thing is that I only got books on thimble magic a few weeks ago. So for six years I was only working with the idea I had of thimble magic, the base of it beeing the thumb palm, the retention vanish you saw, and the appearance under the arm. around all this I started creating my own moves, which for some of them already existed as I realised lately (or they are really similar). so here is this little routine. thimble magic is my pet trick since I began magic with it.

a few more precise answers :

to pete biro : yess, excellent question. the palm created to hold the thimble is rather angly.. you got that. so when the big thimble is loaded, we must be sure of were the audience is. and here it is a bit exagerated, this routine is a bit magician fooler because until you saw this huge thimble I guess you had no Idea it would come. in a real live performance the thimble would have been loaded a bit later. also, there is another palm which is good too (and better for the angles) but it is a bit more knacky so I chose the angle problem which was smaller : only one video camera. finally the body position is just me, I have to solve that ^^ it has nothing to do with the handling. by the way, I'm not the only one anymore waiting to see your routine ! =)

to KeithP : you're right ! as said to pete, since the load of the big thimble was really early, it was hard to keep my hand still. a black dot encourting another one. work will be done on that, sleep safe Smile

to bill palmer : thanks for these info about positionning in thimble magic. as you said I still need to face a bit more the audience. I should get a nice and big mirror...

to solrak29 : yes, but one or two more little effects are cool when added id this is not the end of the routine. here maybe it feels weird because it's 50% of the routine. also, I had to do a big vanish and big thimble appearance, since they looked so good =) gary darwin's is outstanding. the handling is so clever !

for those who think this kind of magic is a bit outdated, yes and no.. well, I also have a dancing cane routine and a chinese rings routine ! sweet 19th century.

now I go back to work with what you all said ! thanks again !
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Some don't like thimbles, per se... so I have used CAPS from hair spray bottles. I've even used paper dollars wrapped around plastic tubing. Whatever works for you. I know of a guy that used band aids.
Bill Wilson
View Profile
Special user
536 Posts

Profile of Bill Wilson
I made mention I thought thimbles were a bit out dated. Out dated was a poor way of putting it. I just think thimbles in magic are a bit weird. I thought they were a bit weird thirty years ago and I still do. That's not to say you can't do some amazing things with them as the original post demonstrated.
Nick W
View Profile
Special user
515 Posts

Profile of Nick W
Do you play in the streets?

Is this bit planned for the stage or.....

As everyone agrees, the first vanish LOOKS like magic.

Well done.
Mad_Lewis
View Profile
Loyal user
France
300 Posts

Profile of Mad_Lewis
Quote:
On 2009-07-30 13:19, Nick W wrote:
Do you play in the streets?

Is this bit planned for the stage or.....

As everyone agrees, the first vanish LOOKS like magic.

Well done.

thanks ! well for the big thimble I never did it in the street, I carefully choose the audience and the vay people are standing/sitting for the angles before decinding if I'll use it. but for the small thimble, no problem since it's almost 180 degrees angle. finally, I never brought this kind of magic to the stage, it is too small and not enough theatrical to me.

I always get really good reactions for thimble magic.
Turk
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
3545 Posts

Profile of Turk
The.Amazing.Boy,

I loved it. Thanks for sharing. Completely fooled me with the vanish of the big "thimble".

I didn't notice any bad or poor body positioning. All my attention was directed by you towards your left hand (and I was too busy concentrating on watching "where the action was") to notice your body position. Loved the cheeky grin on your face after the vanishes.

Thanks for posting.

Mike

P.S. Your English seemed perfect to me. I only wish that I knew a foreign language--particularly French or German.
Magic is a vanishing Art.

This must not be Kansas anymore, Toto.

Eschew obfuscation.
Mad_Lewis
View Profile
Loyal user
France
300 Posts

Profile of Mad_Lewis
Wow thanks Mike ! I don't know if I deserve all those compliments.

Here is something interesting about this routine :

You have been a few to mention my facial expressions. Well, there are things to say about that, and this is a really good point for magic performances. In this routine, I use a big thimble that came with a little one, and the little nests in the big one. So during the second vanish, I had to put the little into the big one, while palming both. At this point I bring my head closer to the camera with a really expressive face. This is as some of you may have spot a nice misdirection to cover the fact that my right hand, working hard on securing the little thimble in the big one, is making a strange motion with the closed fingers. This is made possible because this is a pause in time where people are wondering if the thimble is vanishing or not in the left hand, which is shaking as well to do another misdirection here. So the audience is looking or at my face for the expression or at my shaking hand since there is this pause just before the effect, while the left hand does her job, still in view.

My point is, watching somebody, if the person moves his head towards you (with the torso too, not just turning the head because the effec will be weaker) when looking at you, you will look at his face. This is disturbing and draws the attention from the magic scene (the hands for example). So the head is really important. I'm pretty sure you can even start a transe state in hypnosis with that but this is another subject.

I hope this will be useful for those who didn't think of that. I'll be happy to hear your tips too !
konjurer
View Profile
Veteran user
Iowa
400 Posts

Profile of konjurer
Very good routine. You really can't be straight forward facing for many manipulations whether it be cards, balls, coins or thimbles. Basic thimble moves like an acquitment require you to be turned partially away from the audience.

I don't see a huge problem with your body position as long as it's entertaining and it was entertaining. I like how you turn to the audience and give those devilish facial expressions.

On the World Class Manipulations, McBride does a lot of his work turned either stage right or stage left and the rotates for sleights that require clever angle management such as the Infinite Thimble repeat.

Good work.
===========================================
Clever stuff goes here!
NurseRob
View Profile
Elite user
Dallas, TX
469 Posts

Profile of NurseRob
Quote:
On 2009-07-29 21:07, Pete Biro wrote:
.... Whatever works for you. I know of a guy that used band aids.

That is a great idea.. I have been looking for a solution to my Morgar thimble issues, I tend to crack a lot of them, I wonder if I wrapped the cracked ones with a colored bandaid..would they still stack, and be able to implode/explode. Thanks Pete for the idea. Bandaids for thimbles fits even better in my hospital walk around venue too. Man I am glad I read this thread.

Thanks A..Boy for posting your routine, It is a really short and powerful flurry of thimbleness..mind if I copy it, except I'll use bandaids and it will be completely different! Nice Job!
Ut imago est animi voltus sic indices oculi ~
The face is a picture of the mind as the eyes are its interpreter ~Cicero
Mad_Lewis
View Profile
Loyal user
France
300 Posts

Profile of Mad_Lewis
No problem Rob, the moves are not from me anyway ! Smile

thanks everybody for your thoughts !
whitesonora
View Profile
New user
France
33 Posts

Profile of whitesonora
You know that I think your routine is outstanding!!
It might have some to do with the dedication Smile lol
And for all the people in the Café, this routine blew my mind in live experience

Well done TAB
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
There is an OLDE video clip of my facing forward thimble routine. Go to http://www.petebiro.com clik on VIDEO CLIPS and stroll down to "PETE'S PEEPER".

The props and routine available from http://www.stevensmagic.com
Mad_Lewis
View Profile
Loyal user
France
300 Posts

Profile of Mad_Lewis
Whitesonora you like so much when I do this kind of magic that I couldn't resist to thank you that way ^^

Thanks a lot pete for the link, looking at it right now.

edit :
I enjoyed a lot watching it ! and really nice and comical ending...
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Short thimble routine ! Your thoughts (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL