The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Mak Magic Belly Buster (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
rocky clements
View Profile
Regular user
110 Posts

Profile of rocky clements
I am looking for an old Mak Magic illusion called Belly Buster, where a large block drops down through a girl in an upright cabinet. If anyone knows where to find one, I would appreciate the information.
cardone
View Profile
Special user
860 Posts

Profile of cardone
Wow... I remember that one in the catalog .. I never saw one ... I collect Grant/Mak stuff and would love to see one ....
Maloney
View Profile
Special user
Newfoundland, Canada
709 Posts

Profile of Maloney
I've never heard of it but it sounds rather interesting. I'd love to see it.
The Magic and Illusion of Jordan Maloney
"Experience the Unexplainable"

www.jordanmaloney.com

Go check it out!
Chezaday
View Profile
Inner circle
Naperville, IL
1673 Posts

Profile of Chezaday
That is too funny .. I remember seeing that in the Mak Magic Catalog back in the day. In all my year in magic, I've never seen that in person, never even heard of anyone owning one.

I believe you would have better luck finding Noah's Ark ...

Steve
rocky clements
View Profile
Regular user
110 Posts

I actually did own one just a few years ago. I bought it used, decided I probably would not use it in the show, and sold it. Now, simply for "nostalgic" reasons, I would really like to have one again. I grew up staring at the picture of it in the old Mak catalogs. I don't know how to contact the magician I sold it to, (I think he was in New York), and have never talked to anyone else who has ever seen one in person. It seems that everyone, however, saw it in the Mak catalog!
Maloney
View Profile
Special user
Newfoundland, Canada
709 Posts

Profile of Maloney
Quote:
On 2009-07-30 07:35, rocky clements wrote:
I actually did own one just a few years ago. I bought it used, decided I probably would not use it in the show, and sold it. Now, simply for "nostalgic" reasons, I would really like to have one again. I grew up staring at the picture of it in the old Mak catalogs. I don't know how to contact the magician I sold it to, (I think he was in New York), and have never talked to anyone else who has ever seen one in person. It seems that everyone, however, saw it in the Mak catalog!

Again, what does it look like and what is the basic effect? Smile
The Magic and Illusion of Jordan Maloney
"Experience the Unexplainable"

www.jordanmaloney.com

Go check it out!
rocky clements
View Profile
Regular user
110 Posts

It is an upright cabinet about two feet square and five and half feet tall with open front and back. There is a large square block that can be raised and lowered in the cabinet to break balloons, etc. A girl lies on a board across the center of the cabinet and the block is lowered through her body and breaks a balloon beneath the board. It is basically a large version of the parlour size block through metal, wooden, plastic, etc. blade cabinet. It was painted in true Mak scheme with bright green sides, bright yellow front and back, bright orange trim, and lots of gold fringe. If they had just put some stenciled dragons on it, it would have been the perfect prop! It really isn't that deceptive in my opinion, I just think it would be nice to have again since I spent so many hours looking at it in the old Mak catalogs of my childhood. I never should have sold the one I had! Any input on finding one would be appreciated.
raywitko
View Profile
Special user
western Pa
527 Posts

Profile of raywitko
I have one that I got in a trade a few years back. Don't know if it is a Mak or not as it was repainted. I got it to use as a template in case I had to build one. Sitting in storage right now, just haven't had time to build a new one.
Ray
Sometimes it seems there are more than one of me.

Tabman USA
magicdmv
email me at [email]fursclass@magicdmv.com[/email]
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7665 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
It was an enlarged version of their Brock's Block. In my opinion, it was a terrible effect.

I only saw one guy do at the MagiFest. Some of us had joked what lousy trick it was and someone would probably want it made in a stage size. Low and behold, the next year it was done by Hermann Carr.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
rocky clements
View Profile
Regular user
110 Posts

Now that really hurts...I also own a Brock's Block. And a Mak Visible Vampire. I actually agree that it is a lousy trick, I mentioned previously that it isn't too deceptive. I am primarily interested in it for sentimental reasons. The same reason, actually, that I have a Brock's Block. There was a Brock's Block on the top shelf of the Fun Shop in Memphis when I was only old enough to afford plastic Adams tricks in the glass counter.
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7665 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
Rocky,
I am sorry. Didn't mean to hurt your feelings. We all have sentimental things that were lousy magic.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
Chezaday
View Profile
Inner circle
Naperville, IL
1673 Posts

Profile of Chezaday
It's a myth .. the prop does not exist!

I'll need some sort of physical evidence. How about some photos, maybe a chip of paint or a sample of the fine masonite used in the construction of Mak Magic props.

I will not rest until this mystery is solved ...

Steve
SillverFoxx
View Profile
Loyal user
A Foxx in Her Soxx has...
224 Posts

Profile of SillverFoxx
You and Scooby Do...
cardone
View Profile
Special user
860 Posts

Profile of cardone
How about a picture of the" Devils Bride" !!! I think a few of these are myths ....
Blair Marshall
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Canada
3661 Posts

Profile of Blair Marshall
Nope, I have seen the Devil's Bride, and I believe there were even workshop plans for it. I seem to think I have them somewhere!! LOL

B
illusionman2
View Profile
Special user
991 Posts

Profile of illusionman2
Quote:
On 2009-07-31 09:25, Blair Marshall wrote:
Nope, I have seen the Devil's Bride, and I believe there were even workshop plans for it. I seem to think I have them somewhere!! LOL

B

I have the Devil's Bride Plans. It seems like a worakable outdoor nighttime illusion.
rocky clements
View Profile
Regular user
110 Posts

Chezaday, as to your request for a photo or other evidence of the belly buster; I have one, but it was taken from a distance and is very grainy. Most who have seen it say it is the shape of a horse's head, and the experts say it is a manufactured hoax. But I know... the truth is out there. And I realize that I am now stretching the limits of believability, but I am currently sitting within five feet of an original Mak Devil's Bride plan booklet, and have the remnants of the actual prop down in the shop. And just so I can beat Richard to it, yes, it is as lousy a trick as the Belly Buster, although the drawing in the catalog looked great. A Brock's Block, a Belly Buster, AND a Devil's Bride. Just call me mister "Mak King". Wait... I think that name is already taken.
Chezaday
View Profile
Inner circle
Naperville, IL
1673 Posts

Profile of Chezaday
I still don't believe you ..

Steve
Joe Mansfield
View Profile
Loyal user
227 Posts

Profile of Joe Mansfield
I have seen and yes, even touched it before!
rocky clements
View Profile
Regular user
110 Posts

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Mak Magic Belly Buster (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL