The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Boxes, tubes & bags » » Vanishing Bottle Routine (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
FrankFindley
View Profile
Special user
615 Posts

Profile of FrankFindley
Quote:
On Oct 28, 2021, Fedora wrote:
I've seen a few folks try to get a more time out of it, (for example finger
gag with the bag, transitions to bottle selection of some sort, and as
a finale...SMASH!

I personally don't think it lends it self well to a long routine,
but some folks try, I was asking for his philosophy on it.

It isn't necessarily a matter of getting more time out of it. Rather, it is simply that several of us have found that a transformation effect gets a great response and better fits our performance style. For example, Henry Harrius transforms an empty coke bottle into a full coke bottle. He included it in his lecture this year at the IBM national convention. In my routine an empty coke bottle is 'time transformed' into a bottle of corn syrup (see here: https://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/view......rt=20#18).

It can also be coupled with an appearance to book-end an act. For example, doing a vanish early in act and then making it appear again at the end for a quick encore (using favorite glass bottle appearance method). This is especially effective with the larger wine bottles. Shawn Farquhar has used the vanishing bottle as a recurring social media series by employing a variety of methods (and fooling a lot of us magicians in the process!)

It is also a matter of finding what works for you in the context of your overall act. For example, I regularly use Fantasio triple color-changing, vanishing cane as a flash opener. So a pure vanishing bottle effect would be weaker by comparison and not make the act (I know...I have tried it). But it is a really great fit in the same act as a transformation method.

So, lots and lots of possibilities.
Fedora
View Profile
Regular user
107 Posts

Profile of Fedora
Thanks for the thoughts frank, using a plot of time travel or a change from empty to full
is probably superior to simply smashing it I'll admit.
FrankFindley
View Profile
Special user
615 Posts

Profile of FrankFindley
Couple other quick thoughts. If Dick Oslund was still with us, he would probably mention how the pure vanish could be used as a good pad. The standard sucker approach can be stretched to whatever length is needed to fill a gap. Also, Fielding West's routine mentioned by OP is an excellent emcee bit, especially as a closer as one gets to toast the audience.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=JJPFLecddko
vincentmusician
View Profile
Regular user
Toronto
192 Posts

Profile of vincentmusician
The answer is no. I do not do it as a quicky. Yes. I have a routine that is more than just the simple way. However, many people just do it the quick way. That always bothered me. If you think about it, there are many ways to present this. However, there are ways to strengthen this routine very easily. How? By what you say and what you do. No. I am not going to give away my routine. However, I will give you a clue. If you treat the bottle as solid and have a good presentation with good patter, and also add something more than just a throw away presentation to this, you will get better reactions out of it. Also, many of us think like magicians. I perform for laymen. Look at it from your audiences point of view. That goes for all of Magic. That should point you in the right direction! Cheers!
Fedora
View Profile
Regular user
107 Posts

Profile of Fedora
Thank you Vincent, I agree that the bottle should seem unmistakably
solid to everyone watching.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Boxes, tubes & bags » » Vanishing Bottle Routine (1 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL