The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » How do you explain to the lay public what magic is? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
JamesTong
View Profile
Eternal Order
Malaysia
11213 Posts

Profile of JamesTong
Just like to hear your views on what your explanation to the lay public is towards what magic is.

If you are asked by the lay public what magic really is, how would you answer so they understand it.

Thanks!
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6111 Posts

Profile of Jaz
Performance magic is the manipulation of the mind in order to create wonder and to entertain.
TheRaven
View Profile
Special user
597 Posts

Profile of TheRaven
A performing art that entertains an audience by performing seemingly impossible feats.

A dictionary will add that this is done "using purely natural means", but I am opposed to mentioning that to the lay public. I would never admit that it is "just a trick". Part of the wonder is leaving them wondering.
John Long
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
2826 Posts

Profile of John Long
A magician is someone who makes the possible, look impossible.
Breathtaking Magic;
Not Breath Taking
The Amazing Noobini
View Profile
Inner circle
Oslo, Norway
1658 Posts

Profile of The Amazing Noobini
I would say that if a spectator asks, the answer would have to be one that accents or at least leaves some room for wonder in your performance. What I mean is that you cannot say that it is making the possible look impossible, for while it is very true, it lets the air out of the balloon.

What to say though is a tricky question. I don't mean that you should seriously claim to have supernatural powers, but that with a mischievous twinkle in the corner of your eye, you make some sort of slightly far out philosophical fairytale statement. "Magic is what you add to bridge the dreamworld with our own", or "Magic is the secret doorway to..." or "Magic is the transition between reality and..." Something Twilight Zone-ish which will suggest that you perhaps possess such secret object, knowledge, key or formula that will for a short time let you tap into the well of the unknown, unexplained and inexplicable.

The human brain has a few "flaws" that make for instance visual illusion like retention vanishes work. We are also prone to see two separate events and draw a line of reason between them, something which lets us all experience magical things like Deja Vu or Synchronicity on a daily basis (You think of someone and the phone rings and it is that person, someone who you haven't thought of or spoken to in years. Or so you think).

I think it would be great if our magic and the explanation thereof makes use of this in order to involve the spectator into a mystery world that they themselves at times have felt close to. It is a collective human experience and even if you are not willing to bring people all the way to that place in form of something like a seance, you could at least refer to what lies through the looking glass that we can sometimes glimpse out of the corner of our eye. Smile

At the very least your answer shouldn't poke a hole of disappointment in your own presentation.

A full in depth discussion on magical and associative thinking wouldn't be possible in these forums as they would touch on things like religion. However, your very interesting question has made me want to read something on the subject. Starting perhaps here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magical_thinking
"Talk about melodrama... and being born in the wrong part of the world." (Raf Robert)
"You, my friend, have a lot to learn." (S. Youell)
"Nonsensical Raving of a lunatic mind..." (Larry)
Father Photius
View Profile
Grammar Host
El Paso, TX (Formerly Amarillo)
17161 Posts

Profile of Father Photius
Magic is the unexpected.
"Now here's the man with the 25 cent hands, that two bit magician..."
Yellowcustard
View Profile
Inner circle
New Zealand
1334 Posts

Profile of Yellowcustard
Some one saw a trick I did once and said “that cant be done”! They then went on how it must be slight of hand or something. Then they said with a thoughtful face “but how that was magic”

So from this my answer would be magic is something that could be explained but just cant so its magic. This answer dose give the lay man a hint were up to something. I wont go on as The Amazing Noobini post covers this.

So to answer the question what is magic? I would blow some bubbles and say do remember bubbles as kid? As there eyes light up id say that's magic. I probably wont get away with that so I would say it something that makes the normal a little bit different and takes us away from the day to day.

Its a good little post as I never know what to say and my thought out answers are so cheesy.

Help urgently need.
Enjoy your magic,

and let others enjoy it as well!
Zack Smith
View Profile
New user
37 Posts

Profile of Zack Smith
"You see exactly and only what I choose to show you. That is illusion, that is the lie I feed your eyes."

This sums it up for me...
John Long
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
2826 Posts

Profile of John Long
Quote:
On 2009-08-01 18:20, The Amazing Noobini wrote:
I would say that if a spectator asks, the answer would have to be one that accents or at least leaves some room for wonder in your performance. What I mean is that you cannot say that it is making the possible look impossible, for while it is very true, it lets the air out of the balloon.

I understand.
My comment was somewhat tongue in cheek, and the comment did not originate with myself. Yet, for my audiences, and how I present myself (in Christian venues), I do give a clear disclaimer at the start, but I don't dwell on it. So I have used a line I heard from Andre Kole, "anything I do tonight could be done by any 5 year old with 15 years of practice", and then move on.

I can accept that others would not prefer that type of comment for their shows, and I guess that's what makes this thread interesting.

John
Breathtaking Magic;
Not Breath Taking
hbwolkov
View Profile
Inner circle
2947 Posts

Profile of hbwolkov
"anything I do tonight could be done by any 5 year old with 15 years of practice"

John,
That wonderful line will have to be included at public performances. Applicable to many things we do in life. Well... perhaps not neurosurgey.
Northern California
molsen
View Profile
Special user
Copenhagen
552 Posts

Profile of molsen
I have not been asked very often, but when the question comes up I usually say something along the lines of "The magic is not in how this is done, but in how it is experienced."

Michael
Hansel
View Profile
Inner circle
Puerto Rico
2492 Posts

Profile of Hansel
The art of deception!
Follow Me...
Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/Hansels-Comedy-and-Magic-Show-929625643774678/
Youtube: HanselSP
Twitter: @HanselSP
Instagram: HanselSP
JamesTong
View Profile
Eternal Order
Malaysia
11213 Posts

Profile of JamesTong
Thanks everyone! Really appreciate all the answers.
curtgunz
View Profile
Special user
Only 99% of users have more than
784 Posts

Profile of curtgunz
Magic is entertainment.

It is NOT a contest to see if I can outsmart you or make you look foolish.

Magic is a way for you to enjoy seeing me do something surprising and fun.
Click for Free Resources for Performers

YouTube channel specifically for family & kids show magicians. Click -- You need to subscribe.
Darth Ewok
View Profile
Loyal user
Greeneville TN
228 Posts

Profile of Darth Ewok
Magic is the feeling the audience feels right after seeing the trick. its a feeling that doesn't happen enough and doesn't last long and is very special. for one moment in their minds anything is possible.
my real name is Kevin Harrison

http://www.myspace.com/magicalclerk
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
9988 Posts

Profile of funsway
Ah, but some of the magic must rub off on you too.

Generally – in an instant

There are those who wish to be accepted,
to be thought ‘in’ and ‘of’ and ‘with it’;
so ready to claim credit for what works,
with deniability for what fails.

They are eager to ‘join in’ another’s plan,
especially if it is by Internet,
quick in rally to support anything new,
but never for the first time, I’ve learned.

I cannot judge them shallow or benign,
for they may harbor deeper thoughts profound;
but have been trained to be a shadow
by trusting culture’s artificial light.

Then they see a magician on the street,
who enjoyably does what they dare not –
to be noticed as one apart and unique
in action and accountability.

He defies acceptance of normal laws,
and flaunts tradition and commonality;
promising results and keeping faith,
while juggling with reason and perceptions.

In a skip of time we are transported
to a bold, alternative World View;
in which a different logic abounds,
where practiced guilt or blame might disappear.

We can cheer, you and I – point and laugh,
caught between anticipation and surprise;
but inside both mind and soul are churning
as I know I can be more than lonely.
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
Brad Burt
View Profile
Inner circle
2675 Posts

Profile of Brad Burt
Magic is the manifestation of the unexpected. Everyone expects that a wadded up dollar bill dropped will fall to floor. When it floats apparently unassisted in the air.....you hope that that is unexpected.

Magic is the contravention of natural law. Best,
Brad Burt
dpe666
View Profile
Inner circle
2895 Posts

Profile of dpe666
You don't explain what magic is. You show them what magic is. Smile
Ed_Millis
View Profile
Inner circle
Yuma, AZ
2292 Posts

Profile of Ed_Millis
When your life intersects the unexplained, and the impossible intrudes into your reality, _that_ is magic!

Ed
Brad Burt
View Profile
Inner circle
2675 Posts

Profile of Brad Burt
Magic is a butterfly turning into an elephant or a transistor radio.
Brad Burt
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » How do you explain to the lay public what magic is? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL