The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Who is your Favorite Coin Magician? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
MickeyPainless
View Profile
Inner circle
California
6065 Posts

Profile of MickeyPainless
Thanks Doug!
I know his work as a craftsman but had never heard of him doing magic.

MMc
ChrisJ
View Profile
Loyal user
Lapeer, MI
226 Posts

Profile of ChrisJ
For inclusion of the coin men from the past lets not for get J.B. Bobo whose book was the start for many and a major contributor to the book was Milt Kort, who even with artheritis in his hands would just amaze me with his work. When you know whats going to happen and still don;t see it..well that to me IS a magician.

http://geniimagazine.com/wiki/index.php/Milton_Kort
Zhang
View Profile
Special user
515 Posts

Profile of Zhang
Quote:
On 2009-08-09 21:48, ChrisJ wrote:
For inclusion of the coin men from the past lets not for get J.B. Bobo whose book was the start for many and a major contributor to the book was Milt Kort, who even with artheritis in his hands would just amaze me with his work. When you know whats going to happen and still don;t see it..well that to me IS a magician.

http://geniimagazine.com/wiki/index.php/Milton_Kort

Who is your Favorite Coin Magician?,that is the question in this thread.

I have one favorite and he has not been around doing coin magic that long;i respect all the coin workers in the world from the past and the present,but none of them are my favorite I have just one.
Douglas.M
View Profile
Elite user
465 Posts

Profile of Douglas.M
In addition to those mentioned above:

Fred Kaps

R. Paul Wilson

Paul Cummins

John Carney

Michael Ammar

Garrett Thomas

Chad Long

Chastain Criswell

Shigeo Futagawa

Shigeo Takagi

Ken Brooke

Mohammed Bey

Jimmy Grippo
DanGarrett
View Profile
Regular user
Atlanta, GA
169 Posts

Profile of DanGarrett
Already covered:
David Roth, David Neighbors, Troy Hooser, Gary Kurtz, J. B. Bobo (who could perform everything in his book)
Net yet mentioned:
Michael Rubinstein, who is also a great compiler of coin magic, worthy of study.

I do some modest coin work, but like Pete Biro, my name should not be on this list. However, I am proud to be on any list that has Pete Biro in it.

My coin claims to fame are my American Ninja Spellbound routine (Closeup Connivery DVD) and as publisher of Chris Kenner's ThreeFly booklet. (Taken from his short-lived periodical Magic Man Examiner, second issue, with permission and royalties, and prob. inspired by Troy Hooser, Geoff Latta and Gary Kurtz).

I also published a couple of coin routines in magazines, including my variation of Duke Stern;s Copper and Silver routine.
Dan Garrett
www.dangarrettmagic.com
SAM National President 1994-1995
MIMC with Gold Star - London
email request to dangarrett@aol.com to receive a free catalog
DanGarrett
View Profile
Regular user
Atlanta, GA
169 Posts

Profile of DanGarrett
Oops! Must also include John Ramsay and John Carney on my favorite coin men list. Also Bob Carver and Doyne Michie!!! Bob (inventor of Professor's Nightmare) for his Coin/Washer/Rock routine and Doyne for his Texas Penny routine.
Dan Garrett
www.dangarrettmagic.com
DanGarrett
View Profile
Regular user
Atlanta, GA
169 Posts

Profile of DanGarrett
Harry Milliken ('Milliken's Transposition' published in Penny Poland's "Wonderful Routines of Magic", aka WROM). This mind-mannered coin magician from Eastman, Georgia, USA could sleeve as good as anyone I've ever seen. Which leads me to add:
Jack Chanin
to the list!

and last but NOT least:
Jim Buffaloe
I've not seen Jim perform coin magic live, but I edited, designed and published his book "Buffaloed - The Magic of Jim Buffaloe"
Jim is living in the St. Louis area, and has items published in Bobo's, as well as an award-winning Linking Ring Parade.
Dan Garrett
www.dangarrettmagic.com
DanGarrett
View Profile
Regular user
Atlanta, GA
169 Posts

Profile of DanGarrett
Couple more who should be mentioned:
Al Schneider (creator of Matrix)
John Cornelius
Dan Garrett
www.dangarrettmagic.com
Scott F. Guinn
View Profile
Inner circle
"Great Scott!" aka "Palms of Putty" & "Poof Daddy G"
6586 Posts

Profile of Scott F. Guinn
David Roth absolutely still tops my list. Geoff Latta, Sol Stone, Mike Gallo, and Rubinstein are all near the top after that. Dan Fleshman, Jim Pace, and Dean Dill all do beautiful coin work as well. Bobo for his book, in which the lion's share of the material seems to have come from Jimmy Buffalo and Milt Kort. And Goshman--I remember the first time I saw his act. Pure magic, by Gosh!

I haven't seen a lot of the young guns, so I can't comment on most of them. But Rannie certainly does some beautiful work.
"Love God, laugh more, spend more time with the ones you love, play with children, do good to those in need, and eat more ice cream. There is more to life than magic tricks." - Scott F. Guinn
My Lybrary Page
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
9530 Posts

Profile of Mb217
I don't think David Stone or Michael Ammar have been mentioned, both very good coin men, teachers and contributors to the art.
*Check out my latest: Gifts From The Old Country: A Mini-Magic Book, MBs Mini-Lecture on Coin Magic, The MB Tanspo PLUS, MB's Morgan, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at gumroad.com/mb217magic Smile

"Believe in YOU, and you will see the greatest magic that ever was." -Mb Smile
vinsmagic
View Profile
Eternal Order
sleeping with the fishes...
10959 Posts

Profile of vinsmagic
Of course everyone has their favorite magician.
but for me the coin workers that have made a impact on the magic community and here on the Café
1. Mano tejera ( the man with a thousand moves)

2 Marion Boykin ( Mr Crimp)he has taken this move to the next level

3. Rannie Raymundo (The manila inforcer) The icon of manila

4, Joey Koins ( the pride of Myrtle beach)

5 Mickey Silver (the greatest coin performer of this centry)and con artist

6 Dennis Bahr ( pure elegance )

I have broke bread wth most on this list.
vinny
Come check out my magic.

http://www.vinnymarini.com
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
7130 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Well, I have to say, the person who inspired my coin magic the most was Mickey Silver. The S.U.V. is responsible for my YEARS of practicing with DOLLAR sized coins.

Along with him, I'd have to say Dr. Michael Rubinstein. I have most ALL his DVD's and find that really, ENCYCLOPEDIA OF COIN SLEIGHTS DVD SET is the only thing a beginner will need to find all these tools. KNOCK-OUT COIN MAGIC is a 3-vol DVD that shows you the sleights at "work", being performed.

After seeing New York Coin Magic Seminar DVD's (www.newyorkcoinmagic.net) I'd add Roth and Gallo as well.

I hate to list my "favorites", because someone always gets left out. These, however may just be the start. Long live Coin Magic!!

Doug
MICKEY SILVER
View Profile
Elite user
Boston, Ma.
442 Posts

Profile of MICKEY SILVER
An "ABSOLUTELY FANTASTIC" coin magician ...................I have never met a person with so much passion & ambition when it comes to coin magic as VINNY MARINI.

"THE GODFATHER OF COIN MAGIC"......... is my favorite coin Magician!

You have to see this guy to believe this guy

MICKEY SILVER
vinsmagic
View Profile
Eternal Order
sleeping with the fishes...
10959 Posts

Profile of vinsmagic
Hey Mick good to hear from you thanks for the plug I wish it was true .
However what I said about you being the greatest coin worker of this century IMO
is fact,, many others feel the same way as I do.
No one ca do the things you do with the coins.;The crowds that formed to watch you when we were in Vegas were left speechless,,,when they saw your coins thru the glass doors ....
hope to see you at magic live this week
vinny
Come check out my magic.

http://www.vinnymarini.com
Sam Weiss
View Profile
Loyal user
Stratford, CT should have more than
278 Posts

Profile of Sam Weiss
Ahh... yes I'd have to say my good friend David Roth...

Also:
Hiroshi Sawa
Masao Atsukawa
Slydini
along with many other listed above...
"There's something that gets in your soul when you study magic,it's in your heart, and when you perform it comes across the footlights and into everybody else's heart..."
-Denny Haney
ZoiyaKumar
View Profile
Regular user
116 Posts

Profile of ZoiyaKumar
I second shoot ogawa, flawless technique and skill
CAROLINI
View Profile
Special user
607 Posts

Profile of CAROLINI
Slydini!
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
6135 Posts

Profile of motown
Gary Kurtz, Derek Dingle, Lou Gallo & Jimmy Buffaloe
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
feher
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
1421 Posts

Profile of feher
David Roth is my foundation into coins besides Bobo's book. When ever I see a vid with David in it I stop and watch it. I think for the first two years when I got into magic all I did was study Roth's material. along with Bobo's book.
Then I went into Derek Dingle, John Bannon,Arthur Buckley for both Coins and cards.
Jeff McBride for Billiard Balls Thimbles and Card manipulation.
that's my foundation.

The ones that inspire me or keep my mind going when it comes to coins are.....
Godfather Vinny Marini
Marion Boykin
Eric Jones
Bertini
Mickey Silver ( Puts a BIG smile on my face when I see his magic)

As to a favorite it's hard to say. I like allot of people, I tend to gravitate towards the ones I mention.
Tim
Mean people SUCK!!!!!!!
magicmatt
View Profile
Regular user
101 Posts

Profile of magicmatt
My favorite is Homer Liwag, Chris Kenner, and Shoot Ogawa. I began learning coin magic from David Roth and Bobo's Book.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Who is your Favorite Coin Magician? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL