The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Why are you a magician/mentalist? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18816 Posts

Profile of IAIN
To destroy my enemies and to touch women appropriately in an innapropriate manner..
I've asked to be banned
Sid Helkule
View Profile
Inner circle
Australia
1481 Posts

Profile of Sid Helkule
Quote:
On 2009-08-06 18:27, IAIN wrote:
To destroy my enemies and to touch women appropriately in an innapropriate manner..

Lol! I peed a little reading that.

I came from close up magic, and found the kids shows and magic in general to be rather boring. There is something about snatching a thought from someone's mind that to me seems more magical than anything else.

Luke
Greg Arce
View Profile
Inner circle
6475 Posts

Profile of Greg Arce
Because it's the hot thing to do now and I want to jump on the bandwagon before it tips over. Smile

Greg
One of my favorite quotes: "A critic is a legless man who teaches running."
rbattle
View Profile
Loyal user
266 Posts

Profile of rbattle
It allows me to continue to have a childs attitude in a serious world and in a serious job.

Robert
WayneCapps
View Profile
Special user
Charleston, SC
769 Posts

Profile of WayneCapps
The chicks man!
AnDraíodóir
View Profile
New user
Ireland
89 Posts

Profile of AnDraíodóir
Quote:
On 2009-08-06 19:42, Greg Arce wrote:
Because it's the hot thing to do now and I want to jump on the bandwagon before it tips over. Smile

Greg

What Greg said.
Philip Ryan

"The more I learn, the more I learn how little I know" -Socrates
muse
View Profile
Special user
Scotland
926 Posts

Profile of muse
I would say that I'm a long way short of being able to call myself either. I have a great interest in both, however, and the reasons for that is that the scope of what good magicians and mentalists do is amazing. As an 'outsider' I thought, of course, that it's all about 'the tricks'. Learning that it's about everything else, and that the 'tricks' are the icing on the cake has been an amazing journey of discovery. I don't consider I can call myself a magician or mentalist (yet anyway), but I can certainly appreciate those who truly are.
Lady R
View Profile
New user
9 Posts

Profile of Lady R
Hi all
(this is my first post on the forum so I feel I should say hello as well),

It's an interesting question Jonathan. I share the sense of wonder idea but also coming from a hypnosis background want to take it further into mentalism and performance. There doesn't seem to be many female mentalists so I'm hoping I can bring something to the table on behalf of the girls!

LRx
Jamie D
View Profile
Inner circle
Ontario, Canada
2292 Posts

Profile of Jamie D
Welcome Lady R. There is an interesting thread in the hypnosis forum right now that you maybe interested in.

Daren
Twitter @darjames
Lady R
View Profile
New user
9 Posts

Profile of Lady R
Thanks for the welcome Daren, very kind.
I will head over there shortly to check it out...the only thing about this place is there is too much good stuff to read!
LRx
Philemon Vanderbeck
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
4477 Posts

Profile of Philemon Vanderbeck
To eventually destroy the world.
Professor Philemon Vanderbeck
That Creepy Magician
"I use my sixth sense to create the illusion of possessing the other five."
Greg Arce
View Profile
Inner circle
6475 Posts

Profile of Greg Arce
Quote:
On 2009-08-07 16:53, Philemon Vanderbeck wrote:

Too late. Smile

Greg
One of my favorite quotes: "A critic is a legless man who teaches running."
bevbevvybev
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
2595 Posts

Profile of bevbevvybev
Hexagon
View Profile
Regular user
London
198 Posts

Profile of Hexagon
To let people wonder
Philemon Vanderbeck
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
4477 Posts

Profile of Philemon Vanderbeck
Quote:
On 2009-08-07 17:11, Greg Arce wrote:
Quote:
On 2009-08-07 16:53, Philemon Vanderbeck wrote:

Too late. Smile

Greg

Nah, it's just "broken beyond repair." Time to take it to recycling...
Professor Philemon Vanderbeck
That Creepy Magician
"I use my sixth sense to create the illusion of possessing the other five."
Jonathan
View Profile
Inner circle
Oklahoma
1223 Posts

Profile of Jonathan
Lady, I would think there would be great potential in the "female intuition" area for presentation. Have you considered that angle? I mean as a starting off point and playing off of the mystery surrounding the female mind. Like mothers who instinctively know when their child is in trouble even when they are half-way around the world, and the female ability to know when a guy fancies them despite how hard they try to hide it.

Come to think of it, how DO you do that? Smile
Lady R
View Profile
New user
9 Posts

Profile of Lady R
Hi Jonathan and thanks for the reply and ideas. I must admit I'm very new to thinking about doing this as a performance/profession and although I'm confident in being 'visible' and working, I haven't really developed what angle I'm coming from yet. I like the idea of tieing into the female intuition theme as it is both real (speaking personally anyway - see below!)and ripe for development.

I won't go on about it here but if you ever have a spare few minutes at any time to throw ideas around I'd appreciate it (but I also understand I'm very new here and you're probably really busy so no worries!). Right now I'm looking at people's websites and reading a lot of the past threads to really get a feel for the area and understand how people develop their act and skills.

As for the intuition thing, I think it's hard to explain without sounding like you're reaching for biological determinism i.e. boys 'do this' and girls 'do that.' But the way I think about it is that we all have intuition, but girls are perhaps able to tune into it more because they're allowed to be sensitive and emotional as they grow up. Boys have to be risk takers and 'solid' (for want of a better word) and maybe a result of that is it tunes out those inner messages.

Certainly, a mother needs to have that feeling for when her child needs milk, so it's probably a mix of many biological and other feelings....I don't have the answers but it is something real and intriguing. And yes, it certainly does give the ladies an advantage in certain life or death and 'other' situations where the knowledge is power....!
Paul Shirley
View Profile
Inner circle
Melbourne, Australia
1206 Posts

Profile of Paul Shirley
The Paul Daniels show.......I blame the Paul Daniels show.
mindshrink
View Profile
Special user
Delhi,India
915 Posts

Profile of mindshrink
The loner and the wierdo in me made me go in for mentalism.....or is it a kind of superiority/inferiority complex?
Practically...mentalism semed cheaper than magic...the props
chmara
View Profile
Inner circle
Tucson, AZ
1904 Posts

Profile of chmara
I became a magician - illusionist because I detest "real work."

Then I became too ill to move, set-up, knock down bog props -- so I became a mentalist --- but I miss the big stuff and selling it off has been emotionally painful. I never considered the physical set-up and knock down "real work" unless it was a set-up/knock down in the Arizona summer sun.

I just don't want them to see me sweat.
Gregg (C. H. Mara) Chmara

Commercial Operations, LLC

Tucson, AZ

C. H. Mara Illusion & Psychic Entertainments
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Why are you a magician/mentalist? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL