The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Why are you a magician/mentalist? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5715 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
Copperfield, in the beginning.

Later, I saw just how far this MAGIC thing is taken way too seriously in the real world. (Just have FAITH that that is true... Smile)

Now, to spread that knowledge...

And I find it FUN!
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-
David McCall
View Profile
New user
76 Posts

Profile of David McCall
Quote:
On 2009-08-05 19:25, Jonathan wrote:
Deep question!

Because I don't want to work for a living (kidding, as being an entreprenuer is usually MORE work)

and because I'm a nerd.

Actually, I always liked learning pop psychology I guess. Kind of a small hobby of mine. And I like thinking about how the mind works. And how words, etc can influence people.

I like that it has a more adult feel. People can take it more seriously; though I'll admit, most of my groups will always see it as a magic trick.

It can take less equipment.

And if some things go wrong, hopefully you won't be as likely to get blamed. Lol
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
17675 Posts

Profile of Slim King
The 7/11 wasn't hiring Smile
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
pearljamjeff
View Profile
Inner circle
Ann Arbor
1245 Posts

Profile of pearljamjeff
Quote:
On 2009-08-08 23:39, Psychic Samurai wrote:
The 7/11 wasn't hiring Smile

Will you get me a slurpee anyway?
Jeff Travilla - I own an advertising agency to help finance my magic addiction.
Scott M
View Profile
Special user
Apex, NC
524 Posts

Profile of Scott M
When I was a magician I tapped into wonder and mystery,

Then I went into belief...as a mentalist. That leads to other discussions of what your REALLY believe of what is possible.

Taking beliefs into who you are as a person is what I am interested in. Most use psychology, psychic abilities and mind abilities as their entry into presentation. Mine is Spiritual and is an exploration yet to be tapped into that goes deeper than 'gospel'.

-Scott M.
DustinF
View Profile
New user
58 Posts

Profile of DustinF
I used to be a magician then I changed over to mentalism. I did this mainly because I think mentalism hits people on a more personal level. A color change is not as powerful as konwing someone's dead grandmother's name.
Bertrand Thornley
View Profile
Loyal user
Tampa, FL
278 Posts

Profile of Bertrand Thornley
But changing someones dead grandmother another color would be cool. The dead grandmother color change. Available as a very nice pdf.
"Disbelief in magic can force a poor soul into believing in government and business." Tom Robbins

Personal Revelation: I'm not a hippopotamus
Natural Mystic
View Profile
Special user
Atlanta, GA
502 Posts

Profile of Natural Mystic
Shifting Paradigms.
"You never change the existing reality by
fighting it. Instead, create a new model that
makes the old one obsolete."
-- R. Buckminster Fuller
cpbartak
View Profile
Special user
Mooresville, NC
941 Posts

Profile of cpbartak
I think it was the desire to potentially help people who need a little injection of hope that they're capable of more than they've accepted that they are that boost they need.
Some people hear voices.. Some see invisible people.. Others have no imagination whatsoever.
scottybarnhart
View Profile
New user
81 Posts

Profile of scottybarnhart
I do not want my answer to be too deep, but I also do not want it to be too shallow. Chekhov, whose vocation was medicine and avocation literature, said "Medicine is my wife; literature, my mistress." I like to think from that perspective: "Film is my wife; mentalism, my mistress."

That is not to say I do not take this seriously. I just do not feel like my knowing is pertinent. I am not attempting to reach a greater Kierkegaardian sense of being by knowing why I perform mentalism. I enjoy doing it and those around me benefit from my doing so: simple as that; possibly the joy from simple aesthetic bliss?
"Talent is luck. The important thing in life is courage." - Woody Allen, Manhattan
tomacker
View Profile
New user
88 Posts

Profile of tomacker
Because David Copperfield had the power to make me fall in love with magic.
Miraclemakers
View Profile
Special user
INA
684 Posts

Profile of Miraclemakers
I've just love it.......
mindhunter
View Profile
Inner circle
Upstate NY
2167 Posts

Profile of mindhunter
I have no choice in the matter.... Smile

Bryn
*QUARANTINE SPECIAL!!!*
"The Safwan Papers" & "The LOGAR Scrolls Mentalism ebooks - Now just $20 each!

Just PayPal to:
bryn@darkmountainarts.com
(No PayPal account? Just shoot me your email and I'll send you an invoice that can be paid with any card.)

REVIEWS:
" The Safwan Papers":
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=253272&forum=15

"THE LOGAR SCROLLS":
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=464100&forum=303&70

Browse my Artwork!
https://www.darkmountainarts.com
Facebook & Instagram: #DarkMountainArts
The great Gumbini
View Profile
Inner circle
2379 Posts

Profile of The great Gumbini
"As a Mentalist I always knew I would be a Magician---as a Magician I magically transformed into a Mentalist." (Gumbystock aka The great Gumbini)

Good magic to all,

Eric
Ximines
View Profile
Regular user
Minnesota
154 Posts

Profile of Ximines
What a great thread. Such a fantastic vehicle for exposing what makes us tick. In some way or another, I related to each post. Particularly the thoughts on recreating childlike wonder and the duality of being a geek/loner and needing to relate well to others. Great posts, all!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Why are you a magician/mentalist? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL