The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Boxes, tubes & bags » » Change Cap Question (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

B Hackler
View Profile
Special user
778 Posts

Profile of B Hackler
I have a quick question for someone that owns a change cap. If I put a man's wrist watch and money in the cap will it show a bulge or can it vanish and not be noticed? Also would I be able to push the hat part out to show it empty ? I am looking at buying a change cap for a rountine but I would like to know this before I buy one. any help would be great. thanks
ralphdean
View Profile
Loyal user
Northern Ca
300 Posts

Profile of ralphdean
The watch would have to be flat but money, paper money is not problem. As far as showing the hat empty, You can wear the hat around, take it off, show it empty, make a change, show it empty, and put it back on your head.

It is a nice prop.
konjurer
View Profile
Veteran user
Iowa
395 Posts

Profile of konjurer
Although you could push the hat part out, I wouldn't recommend it. It is the type of ball cap that has a rigid front - not a completely soft cap. It would loose it's shape if you did that. I don't think you really need to to that however because it is a real cap on the inside and outside. You can show the inside fairly close up and no one will question it.

I've used my a few times for the American flag silk blendo routine. Silks work nicely. Sponges work okay. You really don't see any bulging from from the outside of the cap - just the inside if the object is not flat. It is black so you get some cover from the color of the cap.
===========================================
Clever stuff goes here!
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5445 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
Why would you want to push the cap inside out? That is a bit of over proving that something is innocent or empty. Frankly, putting something inside a cap (any cap) then turning it upside down (mouth downward) flashing the inside as you did so, would be proof enough. Put it back on your head and the heat is off. The more casually you handle the cap the less heat on it. Don’t treat it or handle it as a change bag. It is just something to hold an item or two while the magic happens.

Also, in general, if you are not in casual clothing with which a ball cap might be worn don’t use the cap. It will be out of place and more attention will be called to it. In a suit and tie or formal attire venue you can simply use one of the very elegant pocket squares props (Devils Handkerchief) made by the Café’s own Richard Hughes or Loretta Welsh (Fabric Manipulation). Both make exceptional and deceptive props.

It sounds like you are going to use the cap for Oswald Rae’s “It’s a Stick-Up” routine as published and fully credited in an Alan Shaxon book, and found on Marvyn Roy’s video (also fully credited). This routine is strong it has been used by some of the best (Tommy Wonder comes to mind with his “Ring, Watch, and Wallet” not credited) and it has even been turned into a very humorous piece by Rich Marotta (“Mugged” also not credited).

By the way Misters Rae, Shaxon, and Roy used a Devils Handkerchief in performing the trick. The Change Cap will work just fine!

The prop used to vanish the objects should appear to be incidental to the trick. Almost an afterthought.
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
B Hackler
View Profile
Special user
778 Posts

Profile of B Hackler
Thanks for the help. I plan on using the change cap for the stick up rountine. I have used a devils hankerchief in the past and thought if someone really came up and said give me your ring, watch, and money the hat would seem normal and maybe a little stronger for the effect. I own a ring watch and wallet like the one tommy wonder uses but the problem with that is you need to stay hooked up thru the show. I thought with the change cap you could do the effect and move on and if you wanted to take your sport coat off there would be no problem.
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
9987 Posts

Profile of funsway
When performing in a less than full room with an empty chair or two, you can just place, or have someone place the cap on an empty seat. It will look like it's saving a space. When you need a cap you ask to borrow one. Then spying the cap on the chair ask one of the people next to it if you can borrow it. They will hand it too you, perhaps shrugging -- and you are off without having to justify or show the cap. After all, a spectator handed to you!
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
B Hackler
View Profile
Special user
778 Posts

Profile of B Hackler
Thanks for the tip funsway.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Boxes, tubes & bags » » Change Cap Question (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL