The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Paul Harris presents Steve Haynes' Handout 500 » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..7..11..15..19..21~22~23~24 [Next]
defconskylude
View Profile
Regular user
136 Posts

Profile of defconskylude
Or just get the $2 bills back
actorscotty
View Profile
Veteran user
wilmington nc
397 Posts

Profile of actorscotty
Did this for a few magicians and they were totally floored, must admit, the ending was with the use of my invisible hand,,,,, ended totally clean, not one of the guys had a clue
Steve Haynes
View Profile
Inner circle
Southeastern United States
1087 Posts

Profile of Steve Haynes
Yes,handing them out makes it more deceptive/effective.
Wizbang left me a PM(thanks) that he left some challenging questions in this thread,so here I am and see several post that pretty much covers what I would say.
Im not the type to "challenge" or argue with anyone period!
Simply put,HandOut 500 stands on it's own unique merits.

defconskylude has posted a great idea that gives you the best of both worlds and if you wanted,you could have it set to go from millions to ones and ask for a five,then as they hold their five change it to ones and trade money.
Someone else had mentioned having it set for ones to tweenties and someone happened to need change for a hundred and he took advantage of the moment!

If I showed four aces then changed them to four kings and handed them one of the kings it would only creat more suspicion of the other cards and if I was doing Easy Money,i would simply do it and go to the pocket and not hand out anything(imo).
Nico Zottos
You said that better than I could have, so thank you!

PatrickGregoire is a regular worker and and it thrills me he has added this the his performances,as I have found him to be very picky(so am I).

From my experience,people are not going to run with your money in a social setting and they give you your bills back with no problem and if you decide not to hand them out,it's just as strong as any other to a spectator.

Some like to use This and Easy Money(hundy 500,prophet,extreme burn) and that can be a great way to keep the mystery.
If you work resturants and did Easy Money and later the customer requested you do the effect for a friend,you would kill the theory that has grown in the requester and blow them both away!
There are many talented folks here at the Café and from the pm's that I have received I have discovered there are many more than I was aware of.

Thanks again for the pm Wiz and thank you all for your support.
Steve Haynes
WizzBang
View Profile
Regular user
124 Posts

Profile of WizzBang
Thanks for your response Steve, I enjoy the discussion/argument as I think it helps us all understand a little more about our craft.
And I do agree that handout stands on it's own merits.
But I am interested that others have found that spectators want to fully examine things. Timing and flow are critical in a good performance so if you ended with handing out the money OK but half way through your performance? I would find an interlude to examine the money would throw the timing out, it also gives permission for all props to be examined after that do you always finish with Handout 500? or what strategies would you use otherwise?
PatrickGregoire
View Profile
Inner circle
1655 Posts

Profile of PatrickGregoire
YOU are the one GIVING THEM PERMISSION to examine the bills. That does not give them the right to examine all your other props. It's a courtesy.

I agree that it could kill the flow and timing of your set if you let them examine the bills, but that's only if you don't perform an effect with one of the bills afterwards, such as pen through bill or anything else using one or some of the bills they are examining. While they examine, you get ready for your next effect with one/some of the bills and go straight into it. To them, there is no break in the flow; they are IN the flow. They are busy, this isn't a break in the routine to them. If someone wasn't interested in examining the bills while another guy was busy doing so, then I could see it being a problem but just keep that guy entertained for the little amount of time it takes for them to look at the bills and realize there's nothing there.
PatrickGregoire
View Profile
Inner circle
1655 Posts

As an afterthought, if you're afraid that they'll want to examine all your props for the effects after Hand Out 500, make sure they can. Simple as that.
MickeyPainless
View Profile
Inner circle
California
6074 Posts

Profile of MickeyPainless
Or never start handing out props in the first place! You think Copperfield's audience walks away less impressed because he doesn't allow them on stage after each effect/routine?

I don't now nor have I ever allowed my props (clean or gaffed) to be handled by spectators!

Just my preference!

MMc
MLDupree
View Profile
Regular user
139 Posts

Profile of MLDupree
Got my copy yesterday can't wait to get started!!!
PatrickGregoire
View Profile
Inner circle
1655 Posts

And you DON'T think, Mickey? Everyone knows Copperfield accomplishes his illusions with gimmicked apparatuses. If people were allowed to examine everything, I think they would be more impressed. Regardless, it really isn't the same thing as letting someone examine bills after an Easy Money effect. The only logical reasoning behind changing bills into other bills is that there are other bills hidden somewhere and you switch them out. When you change the bills and just hand them out, there is nowhere for those bills to be. It's difficult for me to understand that people wouldn't realize that this is a stronger scenario than just changing the bills and putting them away. What I do understand is some not caring about the added impact of handing out the bills and that it might not be for them. Doesn't bother me. I'm just surprised that some are arguing that it isn't stronger to hand out the bills.
PatrickGregoire
View Profile
Inner circle
1655 Posts

Here's something to think about if you're on the fence about handing out the bills for examination (goes with something I already said before):

Present Hand Out 500 and then hand them the bills but don't hand them with the intention of them examining them, hand them and ask them to just pick one out of the 5 and hand the rest back to you. You then take the rest, put it away in your pocket and proceed to ask them to make sure the bill they are holding has no holes. Perform Pen Through Bill or anything that uses one bill. This way, if they want to examine the 5 bills when you hand them to them, they can, but you aren't asking them to examine them so it's not like you gave them permission so they won't think they can examine all of your other props. You're simply asking them to hold onto one of the bills to use in the next effect and at the same time, giving them the opportunity to realize that there are only 5 bills in play and they are normal.
WizzBang
View Profile
Regular user
124 Posts

Profile of WizzBang
And I'm suprised that you think that handing out the bills makes it a stronger scenario. To me handing out the bills makes it more like an impossible puzzle, yes it makes it more deceptive/effective but what are you trying to say to your audience, what is the story you are telling? The point I was trying to make was not about the method but about the overall effect. If your aim is to entertain rather than completely fool then why bother handing your money over to someone else, surely some nice flourishes in your own hands is more entertaining than someone riffling through your cash saying "oh my god how did you do that?".

So I guess what I'm saying is "it isn't stronger to hand out the bills" especially because you then take them back again anyway.

I think leaving something such as a signed restored card is a much stronger memory of what occurred.
MickeyPainless
View Profile
Inner circle
California
6074 Posts

Mock scenario.....

Spectator(s): "Ohhhhhhh awwwwwww COOL!

Magi: Here, take a look for yourself.... (hands out 100(s))

Spec(s): OMG, AWESOME, CAN'T BELIEVE IT! (slips bill in pocket)

Magi: Uhhhh sir, may I have that back please?

Spec.: (pick 1 or more) Have what back? I thought you gave it to me! I passed it to him! You big enough to take it back?

Hopefully this was your closer so that it won't matter if A)You whip his butt and take it back. B)Make a big scene in HOPES of getting it back. C)End up going to the hospital because you TRIED to take it back an failed (miserably)!

Sure this is an extreme scenario but I've certainly played to crowds that are NOT above this type of behavior!

Is it worth the risk of breaking the continuity of your gig just to over prove an already great effect? Not to me it isn't but to each his own! Have fun!

MMc
PatrickGregoire
View Profile
Inner circle
1655 Posts

Wizzbang: I think magic is entertainment and deception. If I entertain them properly during the effect, that takes care of the entertainment. If I have also fooled them, that takes care of the deception. Handing out the bills at the end furthers the deception; it takes nothing away from the entertainment... In my opinion the overall effect is enhanced when you hand them the bills. I've already said this but I'll say it again: the only rational explanation for changing 5 bills into 5 different bills is that you had extra bills and switched them out. That means that when you hand those bills out, the only explanation is either that you are a *** good magician or that you have real powers. Either one is good for me. You don't think that simply displaying the bills after the change and putting them away will have them not thinking "how did you do that?".

Mickey: You use your discretion with this effect... I agree though, you can never know what someone will do.
cardlover
View Profile
Regular user
149 Posts

Profile of cardlover
I love the multi bill change and love the fact that I can do the change like the others,or hand them out.
I also like that the gimmick cost next to nothing to build.
Just my opinion,but with this I get the best of both worlds so no matter what side of the fence I'm on at the time, I'm ready to roll.
I studied most all the multi bill changes out there and this in my opinion,is a wonderful contribution to the multi bill change effect.
As much as I love the Easy Money Gimmick and all the money I have spent on all the variations,it was truly a breath of fresh air to get something that looks great,cost way less money to build the gimmick and be inspired from the creativity that went into it and be able to hand them out anytime I choose.
animation
View Profile
Regular user
120 Posts

Profile of animation
So I guess what I'm saying is "it isn't stronger to hand out the bills" especially because you then take them back again anyway.

I think leaving something such as a signed restored card is a much stronger memory of what occurred.
[/quote]

The Easy Money type effects are always gonna be stronger than a signed restored card, because its one of those effects that has that emotional hook which spectators can relate to. This effect is right up there with the $100 bill switch, the floating bill, the coin bend and mind reading. All these effects are some of the most powerful effects in the whole of magic. You can't even compare handout 500 to a card flourish or torn and restored card.

There are loads of times in magic when we handout out our props for examination. Audience management is the key with your magic, you just have to be a little careful with this trick. The main reason why we never handed out all the money before was because we couldn't . But anyway handout 500 gives the performer the option.
PatrickGregoire
View Profile
Inner circle
1655 Posts

I just want to make something clear: You can decide not to hand the bills out at the end of Hand Out 500, but then there is a reset. If you don't plan on handing out the bills at the end, might as well be using Extreme Burn. That is if you need an instant reset. If you don't need an instant reset than maybe you'll prefer Hand Out 500 for it's cheaper price to build or its thickness or lack there of.
PatrickGregoire
View Profile
Inner circle
1655 Posts

Just want to let everyone know that Steve explained a method to me that allows you to reset the trick while putting the bills away for those who do not want to hand out the bills. This means that Hand Out 500 is great even for those who do not want to hand the bills out.
MickeyPainless
View Profile
Inner circle
California
6074 Posts

Oh thank God, I can sleep tonight! Smile
PatrickGregoire
View Profile
Inner circle
1655 Posts

I don't understand why you would post that sarcastic comment. I just wanted everyone to know that I was wrong in the post above my post before this one. Maybe some who did want to buy Hand Out 500 but didn't want to hand the bills out wouldn't have purchased because of what I said. At least now they know what's possible. If you're not interested in this effect, you're free to leave this topic anytime...
MickeyPainless
View Profile
Inner circle
California
6074 Posts

It would have been "sarcastic" had I not included the Smile otherwise it's simply meant in jest! Easy on the caffeine big guy!

MMc
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Paul Harris presents Steve Haynes' Handout 500 » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..7..11..15..19..21~22~23~24 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL