We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » What is the standard measurement of silk streamers? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

JamesTong
View Profile
Eternal Order
Malaysia
11213 Posts

Profile of JamesTong
Is there a standard size for silk streamers? How long? And how about the width? Or the maker / manufacturer determines the size? Thanks!
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22932 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
There no such thing as standard size, they cut the silk depending on the original length of the bolt of material. Rice Studio of Magic, advertised at the heading of this topic. Sold 12", 18" wide, by lengths of 10', 15' length.

Here is some idea of what they have left in stock, there are some out of stock sizes. http://www.silkkingmagic.com/Rice's%20R......mers.htm

Only Hughes Magic here on the Café, is capable of custom sizes. Most silk now comes from India that the dealers are carrying.

Being you did not state a reason or purpose for your question, I cannot give further advice.
JamesTong
View Profile
Eternal Order
Malaysia
11213 Posts

Profile of JamesTong
Thanks, Bill, for your info. Really appreciate it.

I am playing with the idea of using very long streamers to produce really big items. SO I am wondering whether the streamers that are wider helps provide additional covers? Any thoughts? Thanks!
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7448 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
Yes, I can make any size. I usually make the width based on the fabric width and other silk cuts I do. I usually make 9" and 12" widths. My length is in even yards since that is how I buy the silk. For instance, 12, 24, 48 feet. It not a lot of difference in the length, but I try to be up front with the length.

Yes, wider streamers make more cover but there are problems in handling them sometimes. First, you have to figure on loading them. I have a customer who I made 22" wide streamers by 60' long for his Kuma Tube routine. Looks great and gives a lot of cover but he cusses me out everytime he sets the effects. I have also made 45" wide by 150'.

The wider the streamer (as well as the heavier momme) will allow you hide more since it is impossible to align the sides of the streamers side by side as you produce them. It they do not overlap, there will be gaps that allow the item to flash. Also cover the load bag with a similar colored streamer.

James, you can write me direct if you need to discuss this in more detail.
Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
JamesTong
View Profile
Eternal Order
Malaysia
11213 Posts

Profile of JamesTong
Thanks, Richard. I'll contact you soon to discuss on a few things (as soon as I have things organised).
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20524 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Quote:
On 2009-08-08 20:13, wmhegbli wrote:
There no such thing as standard size, they cut the silk depending on the original length of the bolt of material. Rice Studio of Magic, advertised at the heading of this topic. Sold 12", 18" wide, by lengths of 10', 15' length.

Only Hughes Magic here on the Café, is capable of custom sizes. Most silk now comes from India that the dealers are carrying.

Being you did not state a reason or purpose for your question, I cannot give further advice.

Bill,

I can't agree with your statement:

"Only Hughes Magic here on the Café, is capable of custom sizes. Most silk now comes from India that the dealers are carrying."

First, as the magicians' silk importer, I ONLY import silk from China. (Yet, we ship China silk all over the world. We even export China silk to Japan for professional magicians there!)

Second, Since every piece is custom made for DoveLite, every piece of silk we import is custom sized. We can provide silks up to 36" wide and 1500 meters long. We frequently produce custom sized silk squares, diamond cuts, streamers, veils, curtains, banners, silk for costumers and silk for manufacturers sewing silk products including custom magic props. Even the silk tricks are custom sized for us in China.

Thirdly, there are good magic suppliers who do indeed carry only China silk. (We supply many of them as well as trick manufacturers.)

The easy way to spot the DoveLite silk from China is by its printed packaging. You should also be able to simply compare the hems and tell the differences between modern silk hems from China versus older methods used with the old technologies used before China silks were available in the USA. (On page 8 of Harold Rice's encyclopedia he agreed that China silk was the best. But he could not get it in those days. Trade with China was illegal. Therefore, back in those days he still used silk from Japan. There was a time when it was the best I could import too. But I have been an importer since 1969.)

Custom sized silk from China can usually be delivered in two weeks to a month later in the USA.

We do keep some "standard sized" silk streamers in inventory in the USA.

3cm x 36" (thumb tip streamer)
4" x 36"
12" x 12'
12" x 24'
4" x 30'
8" x 30'
36" x 6'
36" x 9'
36" x 30'

All are only available in 100% pure China silk and come in all 13 solid colors and zebra stripes (red/white or black/white)

When a bolt of silk is damaged it is made into multicolor silk as a salvage job to cover the stains. (That mistake for us has been avoided for the last three years. Those are usually made into 30' streamers.)

I do agree that India silk is available from some magic dealers. (There is a category in the market called "slum magic". It is not for professional use.) I hope that dealers who sell to professional magicians avoid it. In the world market it is very cheap and very available but hardly up to the standards for the China silk used by professional magicians. Generic packaging is often a clue to the actual origin. If there is no packaging or there is no other mark for country of origin, don't be surprised with learning that it is not real China silk.

Good silk is a good investment. There are several sources of custom made silk props in the Western World.

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7448 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
With all due respect, I think Bill was referring to the fact that I can make one of silks or streamers very easily as I hem it all here myself. I have never used anything but China silk, in four different weights.

As a point of reference, I believe there is only one silk mill in Japan today. A few years ago there were four. Two had closed and the third was slated to close at the end of the year. This would have been 3 or 4 years ago.
Oddly enough, the remaining silk mill imports it's silk cocoons from China but processes and weaves the fabric in Japan.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
20524 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Richard,

LOL! The world does change. Who would have ever thought of Alabama being the place where they build automobiles? Mercedes is made here!

You know Panama hats are made in Ecuador?

See you down the road.

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander

PS --- There are some pro dealers that carry China instead of India silks. The differences are very real!
Bob Sanders

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
JamesTong
View Profile
Eternal Order
Malaysia
11213 Posts

Profile of JamesTong
Thanks, Bob and Richard, for the enlightening posts. Learnt a lot there.
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5699 Posts

Profile of Regan
For me the preferred size depends upon how I am going to use it. One of my favorite silk streamers is 12" x 12', another is 4" x 24', another is 10" x about 15'. Certain routines and/or props may require a certain size, but a lot depends upon individual preference.

Regan
Mister Mystery
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7448 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
Use is the key. If you are using it for a big steal, you are going to need a bigger width. But if it is just being produced, the width is not as important.

Richard
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
20524 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
If people only have one streamer, the 12" x 12 foot is the one I recommend. It takes about the space of a 36" silk or three 24" silks, looks huge and is about as large as a person can keep off the floor when spinning it in a circle. I prefer solid colors to multicolor and remind all to look out for costume and curtain colors to make the best contrast. You want the largest contrasting production you can get. Multicolor visually breaks it into multiple small productions to an audience. That is seldom as impressive as a large single color one. (Multicolor is better when there is a need to prove motion.)

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » What is the standard measurement of silk streamers? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.23 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL