The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Help for an opener? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
jmccormack4
View Profile
New user
26 Posts

Profile of jmccormack4
I am having trouble finding an opener for my set. I plan on working at a restaurant in about a month and a half or so and I need some help coming up with this opener. My style is more of not using cards as something to open. I usually like to do my opener kind of spontaneously. but anyways heres my set so far
Opener - ?
Middle- UV nightshades
Closer- bill switch to mismade bill with the sunglasses up on the mismade bill (i was going to hand the bill out)

still in rough draft mode
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Walk up to the table and ask, "Does anyone have a Penny?" If so borrow it. If not bring one out and say something like, "Well we can use this one... I just got it as a tip." Hand it out. Bring out a Morgan Dollar. "Oh this came with the penny." Hand it out.

Then do copper silver in spectator's hand having dollar change to a dollar size giant penny.

This never fails. NO table space needed.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Nash
View Profile
Inner circle
Hong Kong ~ USA
1101 Posts

Profile of Nash
First of all, congrat on taking the plunge.
Now, this isn't some esoteric performer BS, but if you haven't worked a restaurant gig before, you should worry about the REAL opener. It is what you do before you perform any magic. How you enter the table, your demeanor and your lines are the first thing you need to prepare. They need to know right off the bat you are WITH the restaurant and not some stranger walking up the table for tips.

Trust me, if you approach the table without enthusiasm, looking like some creep, or mumble your speech, you will confuse them. When they are confused, you have an uphill battle to climb.

Get a badge, work on your opening lines. Get their names, be friendly.
personally, I always give them a choice to say "no". PERSONALLY.
You never know if they just got back from a funeral or in a midst of a break-up.

As for tricks. I open with a 4 coins production (a combo of David Stone's and Shoot Ogawa's surprise production). Something quick and visual and doesn't take more than a minute is ideal. Given that you will use dollar bills in your middle and ending, it makes sense to use coins in the opener.

And as Pete said, NO TABLE SPACE. Your materials must be visible to everyone.

I hope this help bro.
tell us how it go in a month
I teach leaders the magic of curiosity and empathetic communication. keynote Speaker | Seattle magician
montymagi
View Profile
Special user
Slidell La
752 Posts

Profile of montymagi
I second Nash. As for opening trick, if you see they have extra napkins at the table as to borrow one and produce a silk from it. Visual, quick and uses a borrowed item.
twistedace
View Profile
Inner circle
philadelphia
3772 Posts

Profile of twistedace
I always open with the sponge bunnies. It's in their hands and it's the strongest magic trick out there...hands down.
Mediocre the Great
View Profile
Inner circle
Rich Hurley
1062 Posts

Profile of Mediocre the Great
Johnny Ace Palmer suggests you ALWAYS open with a coin trick. When I first started out, that's exactly what I did. And it worked very well for me. Here are some of my thoughts on openers for strolling magic:

1) in general spectators may start out a little jaded on card tricks. They’ve probably seen more back card magic than any other kind.

2) Your opener must be fast and visual. It should also be a good trick for sizing up your audience – determining how much fun they are and who the trouble makers might be.

3) In general, I don’t open with very much audience participation. See #2. I prefer to do sponge bunnies or some other audience participation trick after I’ve sized up my audience members.

4) Your opener may also be a closer. It should stand alone as a single trick if you determine the table is not interested in more magic, or if you get some interruption.

Do I break these rules? I sure do. Sometimes I do open with a card trick. Sometimes I do open with audience participation. But I do so when the situation seems to warrant, and that 6th sense comes from experience.

So, when you’re first getting started, refer to Johnny Ace Palmer’s advice. Always start with a coin trick.
Mediocrity is greatly under rated!
--------------------------------------------

Rich Hurley aka Mediocre The Great!
www.RichHurleyMagic.com
Jason A
View Profile
New user
49 Posts

Profile of Jason A
What works for me.
I go up to the table and ask if everything is o.k ( if thay say "no" its even better for you ) at this point thay think I just work there as a manager or whatever. I tell them that they have something in there hair,napkin, or sometimes in there bread role and I pull out a silk. using the elament of surprise ( if they were not happy with something . they will start laughing because they just complained to a magician not the manager. tell them that you will see what you can do to make things better ) and go on with your routine ... now you got then in your hands.
but 99% of the time there always happy.
Jason A
View Profile
New user
49 Posts

Profile of Jason A
And congrats and good luck.
Hansel
View Profile
Inner circle
Puerto Rico
2492 Posts

Profile of Hansel
As an opener I use a effect in where I don't use people from the audience, here I establish my character, maybe produce the sponge balls in magical ways to next do a routine...or producing coins for a coin across...
My best wishes,
Hansel!
Follow Me...
Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/Hansels-Comedy-and-Magic-Show-929625643774678/
Youtube: HanselSP
Twitter: @HanselSP
Instagram: HanselSP
Bryanpier
View Profile
New user
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
62 Posts

Profile of Bryanpier
If the table has never seen me before I always open with Your Name Here. Its fast, visual, and requires no parricipation.
If they've seen me before I have no problem opening with say a sponge ball/ bunnies routine with participation.
On a side note, please don't touch the food on the table. People don't like that very much. Just my 2cents.
If pro is opposite of con, then what is opposite of progress?
Rpascual
View Profile
Special user
USA
668 Posts

Profile of Rpascual
How about opening up with Lit by Dan Hauss and Dan White? Two phased routine where the spectator just has to hold the matches.
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Walk up to table and TAKE one of their fries saying, "I'm the fry inspector." Toss it into your mouth and say, "That one was OK."
tedski
View Profile
Special user
New Jersey
792 Posts

Profile of tedski
Maybe it is just me, but I would not be happy if someone came up to my table and touched me, my napkin, or my food as an introduction. I am not a restaraunt worker so take it for what it's worth - but I have eaten in enough nice restaraunts to have the opinion that this is going too far into someone's personal space as an intro - just a thought.
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
I was kidding Smile
tedski
View Profile
Special user
New Jersey
792 Posts

Profile of tedski
I figured you were Pete, but another poster said a similar thing that didn't appear to be a joke.......hey, it might work Smile
Hansel
View Profile
Inner circle
Puerto Rico
2492 Posts

Profile of Hansel
I don't like to open with a participation effect because I need the people see what I do to be comfortable in participating on the effects. If I open with lets say: Pick a Card...they maybe refuse or be a little shy.
My best,
Hansel!
Follow Me...
Jonathan P.
View Profile
Inner circle
Belgium
1484 Posts

Profile of Jonathan P.
Quote:
On 2009-08-12 19:53, Pete Biro wrote:
Walk up to table and TAKE one of their fries saying, "I'm the fry inspector." Toss it into your mouth and say, "That one was OK."

Excellent, I'll be happy happy for the day thinking of this one!
Hansel
View Profile
Inner circle
Puerto Rico
2492 Posts

Profile of Hansel
Quote:
On 2009-08-12 19:53, Pete Biro wrote:

LOL!
Follow Me...
Jason A
View Profile
New user
49 Posts

Profile of Jason A
I agree with you ( Hansel ) I Never open with a card trick. I find that your giving them a way to tell you to leave.

and I agree with ( tedski ) don't touch there food. take something from the middle of the table. ( bread , salt etc...)
I never had a problem using there napkin . just don't forget to replace it.
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
No offense, but there should be THEIR in the case above. That and LOSE instead of LOOSE are two words that drive me nutz when used wrong... Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Help for an opener? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL