We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Pro Shows (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

blitzchampion
View Profile
Regular user
Portugal
148 Posts

Profile of blitzchampion
I was wondering: Do magicians who do parties and work at restaurants and such places always do the same 4 or 5 tricks? Do you keep on buying tricks or what ? Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile
m.ruetz
View Profile
Veteran user
Peoria Arizona, USA
378 Posts

Profile of m.ruetz
You may want to start with 4-5 tricks and really master them. I have seen close-up workers walk from table to table and do substantially the same thing and others mix it up a bit. As you get repeat business it is good to be able to mix up the tricks a bit...
MagicGizmo: Magic Articles, Classifieds, Videos, and more
http://magicgizmo.com
robin_martin
View Profile
New user
London, UK
74 Posts

Profile of robin_martin
being only 16 and doing restaurant twice a week personally i have about 3 different routines that last for about 10 minutes plus some about 3 other effects that i will slip in if i feel necessary. being young i am always reading up for new material and getting new stuff to see if i think it will fit in. i think that many young magicians who perform in restaurants like myself will say similar. as they get older i think you will see that people are more set on their routines and tend to work on their own effects rather than get others.

really though it does vary from person to person.
The secret of the mind is the secret of the self.
http://www.robin-martin.com/photorecall.html
ALEXANDRE
View Profile
Inner circle
2948 Posts

Profile of ALEXANDRE
I agree with Robin. If you're performing regularly at the same restaurant, it would be nice to have a couple of routines available, or some extra stuff you can slip in if you happen to recognize the bunch you did magic for a week ago.

I say come up with interesting ways of performing the same effect, so at least it looks fresh when you do it again to the same people.

Smile
Chrystal
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada/France
1552 Posts

Profile of Chrystal
Hi,

When I'm hired to do walkaround magic I usually only perform 3-4 effects. Usually you don't need more than that as the clientele is always changing. It's amazing how confident you become when you master 3-4 effects so well. Your patter flows so much easier, your hands don't shake..you sound confident. I think most that are new in magic make the mistake of buying the newest and latest gadget without taking the time to master 3-4 effects really well. Sigh, but I think all of us that have been doing it for a while can attest to having shelves full of things that we never used. You discover what suits your persona the best and buy those items.

When I perform for stage the audience remains the same so in that case then I have enough for a 1-2 hr show. The props are also different than what I would use for a walkaround show..bigger , more visual.

Robin and Alexandre are correct however, if you perform at a place on a regular basis you're apt to have the same clients. In that case then it's nice to have different effects to show them.

Good question Blitzchampion and good luck with your magic. Smile
blitzchampion
View Profile
Regular user
Portugal
148 Posts

Profile of blitzchampion
I'm still not doing any pro shows yet Smile
Anyway, you should have 2 or 3 sets of about 4 effects,right ? Smile
Mago Mai
View Profile
Elite user
Venezuela
485 Posts

Profile of Mago Mai
Blitz:

I Just learn some effects. Practice them. Master them. And start all over again.

Mago Mai
I invite all of you to share some of my magic on videos.Please, CLICK HERE
BryanDreyfus
View Profile
Loyal user
293 Posts

Profile of BryanDreyfus
I have changed my table side act....and the customers who come back and bring newbies with them have asked for the effects they brought their people in to see. I ended up doing two acts...too much time.

I don't change my act. A structured, set, act gives the repeat veiwers a reminder of how much they likd it the first time (never heard of reruns? Never watched a movie more than once?). I've repeated many audiences with my act(s) and when I was hired (retired now due to disability)they often asked...you Will be doing that...blah blah...right?.

Bryan
Oh sure, I can spell "Antidisestablishmentarianism", but I can't type t-h-e.
Marcelo
View Profile
New user
48 Posts

Profile of Marcelo
3 sets of 3 effects and some effects that you can put in the middle if necessary. It works for me.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Pro Shows (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL