The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Some gaff projects (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Paul Prater
View Profile
Elite user
North Little Rock, AR
483 Posts

Profile of Paul Prater
Not sure if this is really the right place for this, but definitely the right place where these may be apreciated. Here are some gaffs I built. Each of them will have their own plexiglass covers and will be displayed like in a museum. Not a very classy museum, but whatever.

The first is my shrunken head:

http://i395.photobucket.com/albums/pp31/paulyp/IMG_4904.jpg

The second is my "Worlds Smallest Feejee Mermaid"

http://i395.photobucket.com/albums/pp31/paulyp/IMG_4905.jpg
http://i395.photobucket.com/albums/pp31/paulyp/IMG_4908.jpg

Both of these were done more or less at the same time. These are my first attempts at making gaffs. I learned a lot and had a lot of fun and wanted to share these.
lin
View Profile
Special user
California
810 Posts

Profile of lin
Smile
Balaram
View Profile
Special user
903 Posts

Profile of Balaram
Quote:
On 2009-08-09 22:58, paulyp wrote:
Not sure if this is really the right place for this...Not a very classy museum...

Are you kidding?!!? OF COURSE this is the right place!
Not classy? Huh??
THANK YOU for sharing, you have your own unique style and we now expect to see you at Odd Gathering to further your training at the feet of Master Higley in his so-far ONLY public appearance.
So what are the dimensions of the World's Smallest Feegee Mermaid?
Bill Ligon
View Profile
Inner circle
A sure sign of a misspent youth:
6437 Posts

Profile of Bill Ligon
Oh, wow! Those are terrific! First attempts? Congratulations! You have a future.

Bill
Author of THE HOLY ART: Bizarre Magick From Naljorpa's Cave. NOW IN HARDCOVER! VIEW: <BR>www.lulu.com/content/1399405 ORDER: http://stores.lulu.com/naljorpa
<BR>A TASSEL ON THE LUNATIC FRINGE
Doug Higley
View Profile
V.I.P.
Here and There
7168 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
Mr. Balaram...at the Odd Gathering, I'll not be training potential competitors.
Still too small a niche of buyers to share those business secrets that help scratch out a living and pay the rent. The Odd Gathering will be for Performers to get some tips etc. and I will answer questions freely...but not to flood ebay with more 'stuff'.

Just wanted to make that clear.

However eventually, I'll have a book out that will show in detail how it's all done and the Secrets of Crypto Illusion making, that I invented along the way. Also a Seminar will be planned which will be for actuall training purposes and that will come when I can handle the flood gates being opened.

Meanwhile Paulyp is well on his way to discovering his own secrets and methods and it will do him worlds of good to refine those on his own, learning ways to fool the eye and create something that is more than a 'gaff figure' or K-mart halloween prop but can pass as a real mystery. I suspect he will do well at it. Fortunately for all concerned (not just Mr. Paulyp) I refrain from critiquing any one elses work good or bad. It is never fair to the other person and is always subjective. I can encourage him though to carry on and have FUN! That's what counts most.
Higley's Doug's Museum
Paul Prater
View Profile
Elite user
North Little Rock, AR
483 Posts

Profile of Paul Prater
Doug-

Hey, I made these for me. They are going to decorate my "magic room." While I will never say never, I doubt I will ever sell these and unless something catastrophic happens to me, I will never be selling these to make a living. I have a sucessful law practice (thankfully) that provides the money to pay my bills. Don't worry about competition from me.

Also, I completely understand your position. Art is subjective, but having worked on my masters in studio art, I am pretty accustomed to criticism.

I like the idea of making something that looks different (in some way) from the other things out there. So, while I would never want to copy your style directly, I can say that I really look forward to the day when you release a book on the subject.

Balaram, Bill & Lin-

Thanks for the compliments.

Paul Prater
KOTAH
View Profile
Inner circle
2235 Posts

Profile of KOTAH
The book you mention Doug is probably a long way off, and you may change your mind along the way. I for one would find a way to snap a copy up. Sme day I Would like to create gaffs of my own to keep and show, not necessarily sell. Make my own props, and create stories and routines for them. I Don't think a one armed man can sculpt the things you do, even if he wanted.

Always fun to dream. The creatures are all there, residing in my mind.

Kotah
Doug Higley
View Profile
V.I.P.
Here and There
7168 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
Never say never is right! I made my first ones for me too! haha.

As to competition, I was speaking generically. I get asked a couple of times a month to train somebody or have them 'help' or even be an apprentice. I just wanted to clear that air, that that's NOT what the Gathering will be about. It'll be more fun than that hopefully.!!

Congratz on your practice whatever it is...and your art.

D

Kotah...that book is closer than you think. Smile I'm planning the photos and initial writing began last year. Smile
Higley's Doug's Museum
Balaram
View Profile
Special user
903 Posts

Profile of Balaram
Glad you clarified that Doug, sorry for the confusion. This type of gathering is not to learn to copy each other, and "How To Make A Higley" will NOT be the topic of our Guest of Honor's presentation.
Rather, it is a sharing of the creative process, the inspiration to find our own voices on the bizarre pathways--which are many--and the support needed to bring it to fruition, learn new skills, the freedom to kick ideas around without any judgememtal nonsense thrown at you--rich, low-key, and friendly. No cookie-cutter guys in black robes with Satan goatees carrying skulls-(not that there is anything wrong with that)--a genuine odd group who met to enjoy and be moved by each others creative eccentricities. I soaked it up like a sponge. It was our own little Addams family home, bring-your-own-niche and welcome.
Paul, who I know, at least a little bit, from his original takes on bizarre-historical storytelling routines, is certainly not an imitator, and I hope we will see his works in print soon also. And I hope to meet you in person next year Paul--if attorneys are still allowed out for vacations-?
Paul Prater
View Profile
Elite user
North Little Rock, AR
483 Posts

Profile of Paul Prater
Balaram-

Thanks again for the compliments. Actually my work will be in print soon. Leaping Lizards will be publishing my first book in the next few months. They have announced it in their newsletter so I feel comfortable announcing it here.

Also to answer your question, the Feejee Mermaid is 3" tall by 5" long. I don't really know if it is the world's smallest, but ya gotta make things sound good, right?

I will see if I can get the covention. California is a long way from Arkansas.
ufo
View Profile
Inner circle
Phoenix, Arizona
1185 Posts

Profile of ufo
Nice work!
"What's your drug?" she asked. "Hope" he said, "The most addicting one of all."
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5696 Posts

Profile of Regan
Good job!
Mister Mystery
fraughton
View Profile
Veteran user
of books
326 Posts

Profile of fraughton
I really like those pieces. Yes, you have really accomplished something with those as your first attempts. I'd call them successes rather than attempts.

Well done.
Beware of this and that.
AttnPls
View Profile
Special user
545 Posts

Profile of AttnPls
The head looks just awesome
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Some gaff projects (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.1 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL