The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Snowstorm, for the first time ! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
pcl73
View Profile
New user
26 Posts

Profile of pcl73
Hi !! I will MC my 100th wedding this weekend. I've add a little magic show at the end of the dinner. People really enjoy. I always do +/- 6 tricks for +/- 30 minutes show. This time, because it's my 100th, I want to have a dream come true. I want to do Snowstorm in china trick. My story is already set. I have my own story line. But I want to have a BIG Snowstorm !! The venue where I work is 70'x60'. I can set anything I want (Like big electric fan that I can hide !).

My questions is on the trick:
- How do you pratice this trick ?
- Can I use some electric fan, put a pack of SnowStorm in front of the electric fan and then start it when I want more snow ?

Thanks !
ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3999 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
Does the venue have a high-enough ceiling to use a couple of rented snow machines?
Things are more like they are today than they've ever been before...
Frank Simpson
View Profile
Special user
SW Montana
880 Posts

Profile of Frank Simpson
The only problem with snow machines is that they do tend to be a bit loud, but I expect you'll be using music to cover. This really is a very good suggestion as they are very effective, and there's no clean-up afterward.
pcl73
View Profile
New user
26 Posts

Profile of pcl73
Thanks for your reply guys !

ClintonMagus: it's a 14' ceiling. What is Snow Machine and where I can rent it ?

Frank : Yes I will use loud music !
ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3999 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
Look for a place that sells and rents sound and lighting equipment.

14 feet is a bit low, but it should work, assuming there is some sort of mounting pipe or bar.
Things are more like they are today than they've ever been before...
pcl73
View Profile
New user
26 Posts

Profile of pcl73
What I was thinking is to use 2 electric fan, put a pack of snow (open pack) in front of the fan. Theses 2 fans will be installed at 10' feet high just to throw the snow in angle over 12 feet high curtains.

So :


Snow / I <- Curtains
/ I
at 10' high: fan / I
pcl73
View Profile
New user
26 Posts

Profile of pcl73
Opps ... My "text" plan not working .. I will try to send as JPG !!!
Marvello
View Profile
Inner circle
It's amazing how little I can say in
1490 Posts

Profile of Marvello
I have been performing this trick for years and never needed any kind of machine. If you want more snow use two gimmicks and a hand fan - I never had a problem getting attention with that setup. I think the fans as you described will be fine, but may be overkill - one fan will make a sufficient messy snowstorm.
Never criticize someone else until you have walked a mile in their shoes. Then, when you do criticize them, you will be a mile away from them and you will have their shoes.
pcl73
View Profile
New user
26 Posts

Profile of pcl73
Ok, here is a video of the venue. Just to show you the curtains. You can see at 40 seconds just back of the Laser. I need to set my fan as high to pass over curtains.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xgyNpyoTwUs

Also, I will do Snowstorm with only blacklight (when I start to blow Snow, all light will turn off but blacklight !
Christopher Starr
View Profile
Inner circle
Heart of America
1851 Posts

Profile of Christopher Starr
I'm with Marvello on this one. The ceilings in your banquet room are not that high, so in my opinion, a traditional snowstorm would be enough to achieve the results that you want.

My 2˘

Chris
ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3999 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
I played with a snowstorm in black light once, but the paper didn't visually "pop" like I thought it would in the light. It might have been the particular batch of tissue paper, or maybe tissue paper just isn't the right material to use. Regardless, I would thoroughly test it before trying it in a performance.
Things are more like they are today than they've ever been before...
pcl73
View Profile
New user
26 Posts

Profile of pcl73
This forum is very great !!! In less than few hours, I got all this help !!!

And, when you first do this trick, how did you pratice ?? At home ? Outside ? No pratice ?

Thanks !!

I will drive 1h15 for meet a magician here in Quebec !! He do Snowstorm and sell it !
Sam Sandler
View Profile
Inner circle
2485 Posts

Profile of Sam Sandler
Alright lets back up here a minute.

I understand the excitement of adding somehting new to the show all of us love adding something new.

lets deal with one thing at a time.

first the fans - my opinion scratch the fans if I have read this right you will jsut hold the paper over fan and it will blow up inthe air. not very pretty I think.
use a chinese fan and create the magic yourself.
using the chinise fan will make the story and th e magic that much entertaining and meaningful

as for the snow storm loads buy from SEO magic seomagic.com Daisuke sells the best snowstorm on the planet and after performing teh snowstorm over 4000 times I can tell you with out a doubt he sells the best. buy one medium and one tanzaku then use one of each for your load and you will be very happy.

snow machines well according to david copperfiels no one is allowed to use a snow machine with the snow storm however that being siad I think that's bogus as I was doing it before I knew he did this. anyway yes rent one form a dj lighting rental place make sure it is centered behind you at least 12 feet high and pointed slightly up it will then blow over your head and into the audience it will be great.

black light hmmmm I too have messed with this as I use black light for other things and unless you can black out hte entire room it will not pop like you want it to as well as you need about 12-16 48" black lights to accomplish this.

instead ou may use my idea form myshow and that is to have one spot light on over head pointing down over you and it will iluminate the snow in a very cool way.
as for practice I recommend practicing indoors to reate similar conditions as your show. yes it means you got to vaccum up a lot of confetti but practice you must! over and over and over and over again the practice some more.

its a shame you not any closer I will be lecturing on the snow storm at one of the casinos in Atlantic city in a few months while I am performing there.

anyway hope this helps and if you have any other questions let me know

have fun

sam
sam sandler- America's only full-time DEAF Illusionist
http://www.samsandler.com
http://www.deafinitelymagic.com
pcl73
View Profile
New user
26 Posts

Profile of pcl73
Quote:
On 2009-08-11 16:00, Sam Sandler wrote:
first the fans - my opinion scratch the fans if I have read this right you will jsut hold the paper over fan and it will blow up inthe air. not very pretty I think.
use a chinese fan and create the magic yourself.
using the chinise fan will make the story and th e magic that much entertaining and meaningful

I will use chinese fan on stage. The electric fan will be use only to "throw" some snow over Bride and Groom (they are sit opposite of the stage, so I want to have some snow over their head). I've my own story, because I want to talk about love, wedding, dream, passion ...

Quote:
as for the snow storm loads buy from SEO magic seomagic.com Daisuke sells the best snowstorm on the planet and after performing teh snowstorm over 4000 times I can tell you with out a doubt he sells the best. buy one medium and one tanzaku then use one of each for your load and you will be very happy.

I take a note on this one, but my event is to close in time ...

Quote:
snow machines well according to david copperfiels no one is allowed to use a snow machine with the snow storm however that being siad I think that's bogus as I was doing it before I knew he did this. anyway yes rent one form a dj lighting rental place make sure it is centered behind you at least 12 feet high and pointed slightly up it will then blow over your head and into the audience it will be great.

I will rent !!!

Quote:
black light hmmmm I too have messed with this as I use black light for other things and unless you can black out hte entire room it will not pop like you want it to as well as you need about 12-16 48" black lights to accomplish this.

I have 16 48" black light tube.

Quote:
instead ou may use my idea form myshow and that is to have one spot light on over head pointing down over you and it will iluminate the snow in a very cool way.
as for practice I recommend practicing indoors to reate similar conditions as your show. yes it means you got to vaccum up a lot of confetti but practice you must! over and over and over and over again the practice some more.

I will use a follow spot also ! I will pratice, but I only receive 12 snowstorm pack .. So after I pratice with 2-3, I want to keep others for my show !!

Quote:
its a shame you not any closer I will be lecturing on the snow storm at one of the casinos in Atlantic city in a few months while I am performing there.

I've already go to Atlantic city many years ago !! But, because I've so many weddings this year, I cannot go !!

Quote:
anyway hope this helps and if you have any other questions let me know

have fun

sam

Thank you very much Sam !! I really appreciate it !
Sam Sandler
View Profile
Inner circle
2485 Posts

Profile of Sam Sandler
Good luck and please let us know how this went.

by the way if you only have 12 packs then practice using only one at a time but when you perform tape 2 together sothat you get a double load of snow.

have fun

sam
sam sandler- America's only full-time DEAF Illusionist
http://www.samsandler.com
http://www.deafinitelymagic.com
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18559 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Do you really want to make a mess? You know it is your 100th show, but does the audience?
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
pcl73
View Profile
New user
26 Posts

Profile of pcl73
Quote:
On 2009-08-12 19:56, Pete Biro wrote:
Do you really want to make a mess? You know it is your 100th show, but does the audience?


I think I know what you mean Pete, but starting at my 95th, I introduce myself as MC for the wedding and said : "This is my 95th wedding, meaning I've pratice 94th time !" I have a big applause at this time.

I've just talk to the bride and she already know it will be my 100th because she read my Facebook page. She's very proud to be the bride of my 100th wedding. I tell her I will do something special at the end of my magic show because of my 100th and I will tell to audience. But that's all, It's not my party, it's Bride and Groom wedding, even if I will do my 10,000th wedding, I don't have right to take all the place. Their wedding will be unique, even if it's my 1st or my 100th. I think I will be better at my 100th than my 1st !!!
pcl73
View Profile
New user
26 Posts

Profile of pcl73
Here is the result ; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVQnIw-x_iE
I know we didn't see very well but crowd enjoy !

Thanks for your help !!!!

At the end, I hide a heart with name of bride and groom on the floor, after doing Snowstorm, I pick the "fold heart" and some paper on the floor, shake my hand and unfold Heart !! Another great crowd reaction !
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22129 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Here is an inexpensive way to enhance your snowstorm effect. Go to a party store and buy a balloon bag. These are hung up on the ceiling and usually hold inflated balloons. But you will also purchase a very large quantity of confetti, put this in the bag instead of balloons.

When you are doing the snowstorm at the height of the effect, give a signal to someone to pull the ripcord. The confetti will shower down.
Vietnam Veteran 1967, Sgt. E-5

Graduate of Chavez College of Prestidigitation and Showmanship

"Magic With A Twist Of Comedy"
Sam Sandler
View Profile
Inner circle
2485 Posts

Profile of Sam Sandler
Well it looks like the audience liked it and now if I may make a few suggestions.

One- if you are going to do the snowstorm in front of a white screen use red or multi colored storms!

Two- do not perform this with you back to the audience Never turn your back on an audience in any routine but especially this one as you are turned for an extended period of time.
face the audience while waving the fan.

I obviously did not see the whole routine but again teh audience was applading that is what is imortant.
I am glad to hear it went well.

good luck on your next 100 wedding shows

sam
sam sandler- America's only full-time DEAF Illusionist
http://www.samsandler.com
http://www.deafinitelymagic.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Snowstorm, for the first time ! (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.25 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL