The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Little Man by Paul Harris » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
Sid Helkule
View Profile
Inner circle
Australia
1480 Posts

Profile of Sid Helkule
Quote:
On 2009-08-15 11:54, niva wrote:
Quote:
On 2009-08-15 00:56, Greg Arce wrote:
If you just want to move a little ball of clay then you can do it already by buying PK Putty.

Now making a little man move walk around... I'm interested.

Greg

exactly my thought.

Which is great if you want to be seated. The blurb says you don't even need to be in the room to make it 'walk'. I was curious as to other applications if making a little man with a heart on his chest walk didn't suit my style. Legitimate question.

Tying it in with a voodoo theme may be fun though!

Luke
Sam Weiss
View Profile
Loyal user
Stratford, CT should have more than
278 Posts

Profile of Sam Weiss
Quote:
On 2009-08-15 03:14, Doug Lippert wrote:
Quote:
On 2009-08-15 00:08, Sam Weiss wrote:
Magicians will just want to buy it to know how it's done and it will then just sit on their shelves collecting dust.

If you have small children, this would make you their God. Animating "Play-Doh" WOW.. Haha..

This is true Smile ... I wonder if it's small enough to carry in a pocket.
"There's something that gets in your soul when you study magic,it's in your heart, and when you perform it comes across the footlights and into everybody else's heart..."
-Denny Haney
Greg Arce
View Profile
Inner circle
6172 Posts

Profile of Greg Arce
Quote:
On 2009-08-15 12:16, shield wrote:

Quote:
On 2009-08-15 11:54, niva wrote

Which is great if you want to be seated. The blurb says you don't even need to be in the room to make it 'walk'. I was curious as to other applications if making a little man with a heart on his chest walk didn't suit my style. Legitimate question.

Tying it in with a voodoo theme may be fun though!

Luke

I understand the constraints, but I always find it amusing when someone creates and effect then others come onto the Café to ask if it can be done another way. Why don't they just sit down and come up with their own rules and create the effect they want in the first place?

I just think it's kind of funny that someone will create a brand new effect with some startling premise and then soon afterwards someone will chime in with, "I know it's meant to be a card trick, but I'm a coin guy... can you do it with coins?"

It's kind of like someone coming out with a new car and a prospective buyer says, "I ride bikes. Can I take the card apart and just use the wheels on the frame of my bike?"

Greg
One of my favorite quotes: "A critic is a legless man who teaches running."
Bernardo Rodriguez
View Profile
Loyal user
235 Posts

Profile of Bernardo Rodriguez
Haha that's priceless and very true...

Bernardo Rodriguez
Zachary
View Profile
Loyal user
275 Posts

Profile of Zachary
Greg made the play of the day with that comment, go back for the instant replay if you didn't catch it yet
Twitter:@Zachary_Heath
Instagram: @zachheathmagic
mike storz
View Profile
Inner circle
Orange, CT
1354 Posts

Profile of mike storz
The more I think about this effect the more I love it. Any videos out yet?

Mike Smile
niva
View Profile
Inner circle
Malta (Europe)
2953 Posts

Profile of niva
Well said Greg. Apart from that the little man premise has so much theatre in it. First the moulding, then the moulding, the holding and affixing of the heart and finally you blow in it to give it life. I mean just moving a ball or a pen hasn't that much drama and impact as this.

Apart from that I really like the ties to childhood. Who hasn't played with putty in their early years. It reminds me a bit of Juan Tamariz's Toy Car.

Finally, as I already said this can be played in different ways... comedy, bizarre, gospel, romantic (maybe use 2??), poetic... it's hard not to fit your style, whatever your style is.

I can't wait to see and hear more of this.
Yours,

Ivan
Piz
View Profile
Inner circle
Chicago, IL
1347 Posts

Profile of Piz
I smell another 30 page Paul Harris thread before this effects released! Smile
WayneL
View Profile
New user
36 Posts

Profile of WayneL
How about we all wait for a demo first? So far we are all speculating!
Nathan Pain
View Profile
Inner circle
iowa
2820 Posts

Profile of Nathan Pain
Greg,

I kind of totally disagree with you...which is hard for me to say because I worship you as a god among men.

I think true creativity comes from breaking outside those pretty little boxes we are all put in...when there are 500 guys making their little putty fellas walk around...played out...

I can drive my car down the interstate, but I can also throw down on the racetrack...I would lose but a car is more than a car...in this economy it could be a snazzy home too.

Nathan

PS I skimmed your post...I may be wrong...this is my knee-jerk reaction.

PPS I read it again & I think we are saying the same thing...but if I get it, and I can't, I'm gonna make a ball roll just to spite you Smile
Greg Arce
View Profile
Inner circle
6172 Posts

Profile of Greg Arce
Dude, once you get something in your hands then go for it. See if you can change it to meet your needs.

What I was talking about is when someone comes up with something new then people want to change it before they even know what it is or how it works.

Let's say this came out: The Lazarus Effect. You bring up anybody of normal size onto the stage. Not a stooge or a plant. Now you ask the audience to give you one of three ways to kill this person: knife, gun or hanging.
They pick one and you really kill the person. Doctors can examine the person and he's dead. Now you wave your hands over them and they slowly come back to life.

This uses a new technology never before seen. Works completely surrounded. The person can be checked by a physician and they will swear they are dead. Your only restrictions are the person must be anywhere from 150 to 225 pounds and anywhere from 5'5" to 6 feet.

This can be instantly repeated with another person. Nothing to hide, add or take away. You can even do it walkaround.

As soon as this pops up you would get: "Hey, I want to do it with 3 circus midgets. Can I do it that way?" or "I want to use a 400 pound giant? Will it work?" or "Instead of the various deaths mentioned could I incinerate the person down to ashes then make the ashes slowly come together and form them again?"

If you have those kind of ideas then get up off your butt and figure out a way to do them. If you want to be creative then do it with your own ideas. Figure out how you would do stuff.

If I put out a shoe that allows you to run faster than you've ever had don't ask me if I can make the shoe receive TV channels, too. That's not what I made. If you want TV channels in your shoe then go do it.

Now, if you buy my shoe then tinker with it and you can make it receive TV channels then good for you. You've created something.

By the way, your idea that 500 guys will suddenly start doing it probably will never come true. Look at all the new books and effects that come out constantly. When you first hear of them everyone wants to get them and they say that this is the thing that will change their life. This is what they always needed for their act... until the next thing comes out.

Everybody... relax. Wait until it comes out. Buy it. Play with it. See if you can come up with another use for it.

In the 90s I bought Pavel's Walking Knot. I sat and stared at that thing for about a year. I didn't want to do the same routine that everyone was doing. Eventually I came up with something that fit my style and was unlike what others were doing.

I didn't contact Pavel and say, "Hey, I know you made this to be able to cut the rope and move the knot anywhere, but I want to make the rope change color as the knot is moving on its own on the rope. Can it do that? Oh, and I want the rope to suddenly become stiff and I can climb on it like the Indian Rope trick? Can I do that with your rope that you sat around and crafted and came up with a unique way of doing a cut and restored rope? Can I? Can I?"

Oh, and yes you can drive your car anywhere, but that's not what people are asking. It's more like I know your car can drive forward and backwards, but can I do the same thing with it underwater?

Everybody... relax. Wait until it comes out. If you have some creative ideas then start working on them.

Greg
One of my favorite quotes: "A critic is a legless man who teaches running."
Nathan Pain
View Profile
Inner circle
iowa
2820 Posts

Profile of Nathan Pain
Fair enough...

Nathan

PS Can it do windows?
AaronishMagic
View Profile
Special user
635 Posts

Profile of AaronishMagic
Now I start to wonder about the performing condition of this effect. Sounds like my thing! Wish it all fit into my pocket.
Joshua Quinn
View Profile
Inner circle
with an outer triangle
2028 Posts

Profile of Joshua Quinn
Quote:
On 2009-08-15 21:04, Greg Arce wrote:
The Lazarus Effect. You bring up anybody of normal size onto the stage. Not a stooge or a plant. Now you ask the audience to give you one of three ways to kill this person: knife, gun or hanging.
They pick one and you really kill the person. Doctors can examine the person and he's dead. Now you wave your hands over them and they slowly come back to life.

Dude, that sounds awesome! But can I use it as a card revelation?
Every problem contains the seeds of its own solution. Unfortunately every problem also contains the seeds of an infinite number of non-solutions, so that first part really isn't super helpful.
Sid Helkule
View Profile
Inner circle
Australia
1480 Posts

Profile of Sid Helkule
Quote:
On 2009-08-15 13:17, Greg Arce wrote:

I understand the constraints, but I always find it amusing when someone creates and effect then others come onto the Café to ask if it can be done another way. Why don't they just sit down and come up with their own rules and create the effect they want in the first place?

I understand what you are saying completely, still I think it's nice that this kind of effect stirs up creativity in us. With many lackluster products being pushed out these days, it's great to see something new (to me at least) and get excited about it and start to wonder "what if"!

Looking forward to a demo. Smile

Luke
niva
View Profile
Inner circle
Malta (Europe)
2953 Posts

Profile of niva
We have to wait all this long, the least they could do is put a demo up as soon as possible Smile
Yours,

Ivan
Tom G
View Profile
Inner circle
2650 Posts

Profile of Tom G
Just a correction on a previous post. It was mentioned that LM will take 10 steps,
it will actually be 6-7. In talking to Paul, the demo is about 3 weeks away to being done. With the effect not being released for a while, it shouldn't be an issue.
Sid Helkule
View Profile
Inner circle
Australia
1480 Posts

Profile of Sid Helkule
Quote:
On 2009-08-16 10:12, Tom G wrote:
Just a correction on a previous post. It was mentioned that LM will take 10 steps,
it will actually be 6-7. In talking to Paul, the demo is about 3 weeks away to being done. With the effect not being released for a while, it shouldn't be an issue.

But pre-orders are being accepted now? I'm sure it is a fantastic effect, and will be as described. However taking pre orders without a demo of this product seems to be a bit of an issue if you ask me.

Luke
The Mac
View Profile
Inner circle
1962 Posts

Profile of The Mac
If this does what it says as cleanly as its stated you will probably be killed for being a witch down here. look up "tokoloshe"
puffinmonkey
View Profile
Elite user
Seattle
437 Posts

Profile of puffinmonkey
Can't wait for the effect to be released. Sound practical. Gotta wait for the demo
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Little Man by Paul Harris » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL