The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Paul Harris Presents Strip by Jose Lac'Quest (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8 [Next]
tbaer
View Profile
Inner circle
Pennsylvania
1919 Posts

Profile of tbaer
This is a nice effect and I will definitely use it from time to time. Nothing earth shattering. Because of the smallness of the prop it's more of 1-3 spectator routine.
kissdadookie
View Profile
Inner circle
3941 Posts

Profile of kissdadookie
This is not something that I would specifically highlight during a paid gig. It doesn't mean that one can not use it at a gig. Who's to say that you can't take the Listerine packet when making a joke about smelly breath or something along those lines? If one wants to work it in during a set it's not that hard, as long as you can justify taking it out in the first place. In other words, if the Listerine packet doesn't make sense in the context of which it's being presented then it is going to look and feel like a prop. It's not impossible to perform this in a logical way during a gig, just have reason for it. Unlike a deck of cards or taking out a set of coins, while the cards and coins creates expectation right off the bat and is acceptable for a gig as you are expected to perform, Strip needs to be weaved into your set in a organic and off the cuff fashion due to the nature of what it is.

I think that's the issue you're really having with this Patrick, it's not that Strip is unusable for a paid gig, it's just that it's very different from your current performance set. If you take a step back and stop thinking about using it and presenting it the same way as you do with your cards and coins you will see how it could definitely work and even make your entire set seem even more magical. Think about this, you're doing some of your normal material which is obviously a premeditated set of routines, in the middle of your set, very conversationally you take out the Listerine packet (justify it's purpose of course, maybe you want to freshen up your own breath, maybe you're making a joke about someone else's breath, etc. as long as it's very inconsequential, in other words, don't treat it like a magic trick) and just as an aside you perform one of the Strip effects (like the torn and restored label). Don't emphasize it too much, just let it naturally sink into the minds of your audience, then continue on with the rest of your set. What you're trying to accomplish here is a demonstration that yes, you are there to perform, but that you're also more than just a person performing a string of prepared effects. It both highlights you as more than just a mere performer as well as makes the audience start thinking that maybe the other material you have been performing or about to perform may be more than just trickery.

Think of it like this. One of the strongest things one can perform is a technically extremely easy in the hands card transpo/change using a t** ch**ge or a DL. It comes out the strongest when you don't patter too much. Just do it along with a bit of genuine acting. There's no rhyme or reason that the effect happened but it does and the reactions are incredible with lay people. Something like this works extremely well due to a couple of reasons. Firstly, you didn't patter too much (if at all for that matter). Secondly it's very simple and direct, there's no filler, no fat. Third, it genuinely feels like real magic, some inexplicable just happens and it's truly amazing. It creates a genuine magical moment. You can't do an entire set consisting of such routines since that would just feel like a string of random effects but it's very useful to throw something like it in your set somewhere, just to give the rest of your material more oomph. Look at Strip as something that can help achieve this. Bottom line, you're the magician and you perform effects. Performing effects however is only half of your job, the other half is being able to have and maintain a conversation with your spectators, this conversational portion of your set is where something like Strip fits in, not the performing effects just because you're expected to portion.

Want a even better example? Take a look at David Williamson and Tom Mullica. Not only are they top magicians but they can make an experience out of total randomness. They often appear to go off on tangents and then come back to the subject at hand. Does it take away from their performance? No, if anything it helps highlight everything else they do. For folks who are lucky enough to watch such performs perform, the magic just happens, one gets a genuine feeling that they are magical and they could've done magic with anything. For goodness sakes, Tom Mullica does magic with a piece of chewing gum and it plays extremely well. Ideally that's what a good performer should be aiming for. Yes, you're hired to perform and you are the performer, but why just limit yourself as a performer and you're just doing your job? Give them the experience of magic instead of just showing them magic and this is exactly where the common objects and "impromptu" types of effects are extremely effective in achieving. Don't string along a series of such effects but instead, sprinkle them throughout to flavour your set.
PatrickGregoire
View Profile
Inner circle
1597 Posts

Profile of PatrickGregoire
The only problem, as I have said before, is the reset.

I'm also not saying you shouldn't or can't use seemingly impromptu effects. I'm saying they probably end up knowing in the end that it wasn't impromptu. I truly believe that.
kissdadookie
View Profile
Inner circle
3941 Posts

Profile of kissdadookie
Depends on your presentation. The advice given in Weber's LifeSavers is quite sound advice in regards to making things truly feel impromptu. I am totally with you on the reset issue though Patrick. Doesn't make Strip instantly repeatable like one would like.
Joe Russell
View Profile
Veteran user
Buffalo NY
397 Posts

Profile of Joe Russell
My favorite way to perform strip is by making it seem impromptu. We all have those friends of our real friends that always ask us to perform whenever they see us, this is my favorite performance situation for this type of effect. You are being put on the spot, and you don't have anything on you to show them! No cards, No coins, No fortune fish! You rummage through your pockets only to find a meager pack of breath strips. You then take that ordinary object and YOU perform a miracle. YOU created the magic out of nothing after THEY asked you for it. Art is an expression of the artist, and a solid impromptu effect (whether it is strip or a different effect) is the purest way for a magician to express his or her self............. that's just my opinion no one has to agree with me.
Who is Tattoo Joe?
Joe Mauro
View Profile
Inner circle
1133 Posts

Profile of Joe Mauro
I can't view the clip:

http://paulharrispresents.webs.com/apps/......w/834388

I get "Server not found".

Anyone else?

Joe
~Joe
takeachance
View Profile
Inner circle
3325 Posts

Profile of takeachance
Can you do a bill switch with this?
PatrickGregoire
View Profile
Inner circle
1597 Posts

You could do a bill switch with it, yeah. You`ll have to use the technique taught to pretend to place the first bill inside, show the bill inside, activate the case and they can pull the second bill out and the case is empty otherwise.
tbaer
View Profile
Inner circle
Pennsylvania
1919 Posts

Profile of tbaer
I personally like the dollar bill effect the best using the strip container. I performed it on a lot of friends (each on a one-to-one basis) and it worked out really well. They all had no clue where the dollar bill went. They all examined the container and not one of them tried to open the container. I've come to the conclusion they pretty much think the container is factory sealed.

What I do is show the dollar bill inside the container. The container lid is open. I tell them because I always want fresh breath I go through a lot of breath strips and end up with a lot of empty containers. I go on to say I used to just throw them away, but then got to thinking that the containers are good to hold paper clips, tack nails, and even my Zyrtec allergy tablets I carry around. I finish by saying it will even hold a folded dollar bill.

After the spectator sees the dollar bill inside the container, I close the container lid and turn it over and place the container in the spectator's hand. The spectator looks at the container and the dollar bill is gone. The spectator opens the container lid and finds nothing.
Vorezo
View Profile
Loyal user
248 Posts

Profile of Vorezo
Well I recently bought this...And I'm very impressed on how someone could think of this! Very genuis! However I will not use this all the time, but I will use this a little. The set up and the re loading of breath strips after each performance is a bit much for me and is like a 1 time thing to perform. I hope to test this out soon though!
Vorezo
View Profile
Loyal user
248 Posts

Profile of Vorezo
Quote:
On 2009-11-10 15:56, PatrickGregoire wrote:
You could do a bill switch with it, yeah. You`ll have to use the technique taught to pretend to place the first bill inside, show the bill inside, activate the case and they can pull the second bill out and the case is empty otherwise.

I think a bill would be to big folded up to be used for a switch, no?
theboywonder
View Profile
Loyal user
Scarborough, Ontario, Canada
229 Posts

Profile of theboywonder
Vorezo, when you watch the DVD they explain EXACTLY how to do a bill switch with the container. Me personally? I set it up with a penny, and offer a breath strip to a spec. I then say "oh, by the way, each of those strips costs a penny". Most of the time, they go to get their wallet to pay me back, LOL! But before they do, I make the penny appear and say "hey, don't worry about it, I've got you covered". TADA!
It would really be quite tragic
if the world had to do without magic!
kissdadookie
View Profile
Inner circle
3941 Posts

Profile of kissdadookie
I thought about the penny idea before but it didn't seem like a good idea as the penny rattles around in there and one could possibly figure that it was in there the whole time and that they just didn't notice it until you tilted the container to one end. This is the reason that all the effects thus far has been with things that obviously does not shift around in the box such as a folded card, a stick, a folded up bill, etc.
sabitu
View Profile
Special user
USA
533 Posts

Profile of sabitu
You can set it up with a penny and not have it rattle by putting the penny up near the opening so that the gimmick holds it in place. I've done it this way and you can freely move the Listerine packet around with no worries.

I have been using my dime & penny gimmick in combination with Strip in order to do a vanish/reappearance of the dime. I set up a dime inside the Listerine packet and when performing I allow the spectator to look inside so they see there is nothing else in there besides a Listerine strip.

I get the gimmick ready for the "flick" change, put the Listerine packet on their flat hand and have them put their other hand on top. The dime & penny go on top of their hand and as I cover them to activate the gimmick I give their hands a slight shake and a rattling sound can immediately be heard inside their hands. I step away and they find the dime has vanished and reappeared inside the Listerine packet. Everything is examinable at this point.

Matt
kissdadookie
View Profile
Inner circle
3941 Posts

Profile of kissdadookie
Just to add to the dime and penny idea. The dime and penny penetration plot is much stronger if you do not use the Listerine box at all. Have a extra dime finger palmed and place the dime and penny in the specs hand, have them make a fist and as you place your hand on top of their fist and give it a little squeeze, the dime penetrates through their fist and now lays atop their fist. Much stronger and streamlined. Adding the Listerine pack to the mix just makes the whole routine feel a bit convoluted. The thinking in this case is, if you really did what you said you did, then why add another barrier for the coin to penetrate through? A closed spectator fist is plenty strong for the routine, using the Listerine packet is going in the direction of over-proving.
sabitu
View Profile
Special user
USA
533 Posts

Profile of sabitu
I see your point but for whatever reason using the dime & penny with Strip gets great reactions. One thing I like about it is the audible effect this achieves when the dime is almost immediately heard rattling around once the vanish is done. I also like that fact you can show your hands empty before and after the dime vanishes.

Plus I just found it more natural and convenient for me to use something common like coins instead of some of the items used on the DVD. Like stickers, playing cards, etc.

Matt
kissdadookie
View Profile
Inner circle
3941 Posts

Profile of kissdadookie
The best effect that they teach is the torn and restored label. It doesn't get more organic and logical than that.
Khuluma
View Profile
New user
62 Posts

Profile of Khuluma
It is a clever device but I am not likely to use it in my routines sadly.
Only just got it last week and never used it in gigs, just shown a few magic mates. So if someone wants an almost new one for a bargain you can contact me.Comes with the mints and dvd.
Not sure how you do that here but there is mention of private messages so best go via that route.
PatrickGregoire
View Profile
Inner circle
1597 Posts

Vorezo is right and it had slipped my mind. You CANNOT do a bill switch with Strip. You cannot have a folded up bill inside the container and execute the chance; there just isn't enough room. What you COULD do, and this is what I do (because I use Whack a Pack presentation), is to make the bill change into a folded piece of paper. You just have to make sure it's a really flat package.

Mentioning the Dime and Penny gave me an idea. I wouldn't use it but maybe someone else will like it. The effect is that you place a penny on the back of a spectator's hand. You then take the empty strip container, open it and place a dime inside. You keep it in the clear window area so they can always see it. You place the container on the penny that is on the back of their hand. You show your hands empty and free of trickery. You ask them to just tap the strip container with their palm. When they remove their hand, they see the dime in the container is now the penny, and when you lift the strip container to reveal the coin on the back of their hand, it's the dime. You can open the strip container and hand them the penny to examine, along with the dime on their hand.

To those who own strip, are interested in using this and don't understand how you would accomplish this, simply PM me.

P.S.: To those who want to use this in a working environment but the reset doesn't allow it, check out Janet's blog here: http://paulharrispresents.webs.com/apps/blog/

Read the second entry.

If the effect you plan on performing allows you to use the reset tip, it's invaluable. I can now use Strip while working walkaround or table hopping. Priceless tip.
eddierush
View Profile
Regular user
147 Posts

Profile of eddierush
"What a strange little thing."

I keep seeing words like strange, foreign, inorganic, and illogical applied to this device. To that, I got two words:

Sponge Balls

Or how about half dollar, or english penny, small silk, white rope, and (my favorite - not really) linking rings. These are just a few of the "strange" items that we as magicians use in our everyday routines - close-up and/or stage (I know not everyone does but the majority do). These items are only as "strange" as the magician treats them to be.

"Please ignore the empty magic prop sitting on the table."

This is another one of those utility devices that, in my opinion, should be "hidden in plain sight". If you are afraid of it being seen as a "strange prop" then don't treat it as one. At some point during your close-up session just casually take out the breath strips, eat one of the strips, and then put the device aside. Continue with some patter and/or some unrelated routine. Then at some point go into your routine that will make use of the device. Just pick it up as an afterthought. NatteFrost has a good idea about having it sitting on the table along with other items. Now, if you want to use the device as a principal prop in your routine then do so - more power to you. It then becomes like an Okito Box in that you are using this item as a prop to "make" the magic happen.

"Size doesn't matter.", said the white dwarf star to the red giant star.

At first I thought the device very limiting because of it's size. That is until I stepped outside "the box" and asked myself, "when would I take out and use such an item." So I use the device within it's limitations ... not despite it's limitations.

"Feels like I've done this before"

I agree with others in this thread about the lack of instant reset. Again, I work around that. My walk around/restaurant acts consist of two, three, or four routines. I have three solid acts that are different enough that that I can move routines in and out of my acts like lego blocks. Trilogy is another effect I perform but I know that I can't perform it at one table and then turn around and perform for the table behind me. Every few performance acts I remove myself in order to clean-up and reset myself and my props.

Thank you Janet and Darryl for your reset tips! Smile

"Can I get change for my two cents?"

I really, really like this device and I carry it with me in my close-up bag as one of my "stock" effects ... ready to go anytime.

I give it 4 out of 5 thimbles
Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic
http://magiceddie.wordpress.com
http://friendsofthemagi.org
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Paul Harris Presents Strip by Jose Lac'Quest (1 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.24 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL