The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Paul Harris Presents Strip by Jose Lac'Quest (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8 [Next]
kissdadookie
View Profile
Inner circle
3941 Posts

Profile of kissdadookie
They are arguing that it's not organic Doug. In other words, they are arguing that it's not natural to take something out like a Listerine strip box and use it for a effect. That's my point. Reading comprehension Doug, reading comprehension Smile
Steven70s
View Profile
Regular user
The Netherlands
181 Posts

Profile of Steven70s
Quote:
On 2009-08-17 06:16, Mark Jones wrote:
Nobody is arguing that, but the truth is that in Europe is not that common.

Indeed.

That's holding me back from buying this
kissdadookie
View Profile
Inner circle
3941 Posts

Profile of kissdadookie
Fair enough. I would definitely not pull out something that is supposed to be common but at the same time very foreign for the country and place I'm performing at.
Steven70s
View Profile
Regular user
The Netherlands
181 Posts

Profile of Steven70s
Hehe, wel yeah a few years ago they were pretty polpular here in Holland. But now you almost can't even buy them anymore, so it would be a little strange to grab one outta my pocket
kissdadookie
View Profile
Inner circle
3941 Posts

Profile of kissdadookie
Then again, nobody ever questions me when I perform Lipsmackers Smile That's as strange and foreign as one can get with breath mints. One can not even easily buy them apart from actually finding the mints for sale online. The fact that they are quite tasty is of no help either, ha ha. I just keep eating them faster than I can perform Lipsmackers.
wolfmaster
View Profile
New user
53 Posts

Profile of wolfmaster
In either case the effect looks great, but a little bit expensive...
Liam Montier
View Profile
Loyal user
294 Posts

Profile of Liam Montier
I think this looks great - the mint strip packs are now a little harder to find in the UK, but spectators will still recognise it instantly. That's good enough for me, I'll be picking this up.
Douglas Lippert
View Profile
Inner circle
E Pluribus Unum
2339 Posts

Profile of Douglas Lippert
Quote:
On 2009-08-17 10:13, kissdadookie wrote:
They are arguing that it's not organic Doug. In other words, they are arguing that it's not natural to take something out like a Listerine strip box and use it for a effect. That's my point. Reading comprehension Doug, reading comprehension Smile

Haha, funny you mention reading comprehension. In high school I scored in the top 98% on the ACT for that category. Anyway, I know what you're saying. I think they're right. Just because you can doesn't necessarily mean you should man.. Smile
Douglas Lippert
Former I.B.M. Ring #8 Secretary
http://www.facebook.com/Doug.Lippert
kissdadookie
View Profile
Inner circle
3941 Posts

Profile of kissdadookie
I think a lot of this is magician's logic. Seriously, if it's perfectly ok to do card tricks, why is it not ok to do tricks with Listerine strip boxes?
Nico Zottos
View Profile
Elite user
486 Posts

Profile of Nico Zottos
Exactly, to us, card magic has been around for so long it seems like an organic prop to us, but how much more natural is it for a spectator to say do a trick and then you dig around in your pocket for a deck of cards or for the spectator to say do a trick and you dig around in your pocket and pull out the first thing you get to, a listerine box and say, "hmm, I guess we can use this."

To me the latter has a much more impromptu and organic feel to it. Having a deck of cards already will tell the spectators that you are ready to do a magic trick. If you act surprised and pull out something random, the spectators wont question it as a prop or something strange, just something that you randomly pulled out from your pocket and trying to do a trick with it.
kissdadookie
View Profile
Inner circle
3941 Posts

Profile of kissdadookie
Totally agreed Nico. The Listerine strip box is very much in line with Paul Harris' style of thinking... what can we use and do to create REAL magic, not a magic TRICK. Though it's understandably a magic trick in the end, questions should be made as to what we can do as performers to make it seem like something that you just made happen as opposed to something that is already premeditated and can be associated with skill. Taking out a Listerine packet (because it's the only thing you have on your person that is small or the only other thing you are apparently carrying, or maybe just to try something interesting, changing scribble into actual spectator initials, etc.) is totally random. It doesn't look and feel like a trick. All they know is that you're going to show them something amazing (because you tell them that they are going to see something amazing/odd/astonishing/etc.) and when it happens, the combination of the effect and the fact that it will be a total surprise, the impact for such a thing is quite strong (think back to the reactions that Deep Astonishment 1, 2, and Deep3 gets, the ending comes as a total surprise ESPECIALLY for Deep Astonishment 2 since it does not feel like a magic trick at all). Taking out a deck of cards and the first thing the spectators are going to do is go into "Ok, he's going to do a trick now" mode. So question for those who argues that Strip is inorganic and illogical, do you want to throw your audience a curveball knocking them off their feet unexpectedly or do you want to take out a deck of cards and immediately put them into the passive spectator mode? Both approaches will entertain and amaze but one is much stronger in the sense that it's truly a magical and unexpected moment of astonishment. That's the difference.
PatrickGregoire
View Profile
Inner circle
1597 Posts

Profile of PatrickGregoire
I agree that the Listerine packet is organic, but to assume and use as an argument against them that they would choose a card trick above any other trick in existence isn't right. Just because they wouldn't perform Strip, doesn't mean they would automatically choose to perform a card trick instead. Just saying.
Nico Zottos
View Profile
Elite user
486 Posts

Profile of Nico Zottos
Im not sure I understand what you mean Patrick. Care to clarify? Who is they?
kissdadookie
View Profile
Inner circle
3941 Posts

Profile of kissdadookie
I obviously simplified my comparison but let's be honest now. Magicians in general will usually include card tricks in their sets. Now, with that in mind, people who are trying to say that Strip's prop is illogical or inorganic, most likely those people also perform card tricks. So the idea I'm trying to explain here is that if one is fine with performing card tricks even though they are quite illogical (the illogical part is using a deck of cards to create magic, the trick itself may be logical in the CONTEXT of the trick which of course includes the deck of cards, in the end though, if you do step a little back and think about it, it was illogical and obviously not organic to begin with) then there should be no problem with performing something with Strip (unless it's just not something that one does not wish to perform due to difference in performing styles, personal preference, they already perform something similar which they have perfected, etc.). There really shouldn't even be a debate as to if Strip is logical or illogical along with if it is organic or inorganic. One has to remember, to the audience, it's a Listerine strips box, that's all. To the magician, this is a utility prop, it's not really a trick.
Joshua Barrett
View Profile
Inner circle
Cincinnati, Ohio
3627 Posts

Profile of Joshua Barrett
This is the first thing iv seen all year I'm really wanting apart from greg wilsons pen
Piz
View Profile
Inner circle
Chicago, IL
1347 Posts

Profile of Piz
I just finally got around to watching this, and I gotta say, I am very impressed!

I love these quick to the point, visual effects that pack small and hit hard, Im leaning toward a Pre-Order here. This is something you can carry on ya and forget you have it until you finally remember! Smile

This is one of those hard hitting eye candy effects that you take with you everywhere, just in-case some ask you to do something. It's so small it can fit in your mini hip-pocket for gosh sakes!lol I don't think I can say that about any gimmicked effect I own?

Small, visual, and looks to pack a punch!

OK, I think I just convinced myself!lol Smile
Rpascual
View Profile
Special user
Atlanta, GA
664 Posts

Profile of Rpascual
I hope the gimmick isn't one of those packs. God knows those are easily mis-placed or thrown away. :s
Piz
View Profile
Inner circle
Chicago, IL
1347 Posts

Profile of Piz
^^^ Even if it is I see no problem with it, actually a plus for it's size.

No different then coins IMO, and that's exactly where I would keep it, in a small clear plastic coin case along with my Hopping Halves/Scotch & Soda that never been lost,misplaced, or thrown away.
PatrickGregoire
View Profile
Inner circle
1597 Posts

Profile of PatrickGregoire
Yes the gimmick is one of those packs. That's what it says on the add, that's what was said in this thread. You receive a Listerine packet that is gimmicked.
Rpascual
View Profile
Special user
Atlanta, GA
664 Posts

Profile of Rpascual
^^^ Wow yeah can't believe I missed that. Now that I've been thinking about it, it's not really that hard to lose. I also have an idea to keep it. (Obviously one that would fit me) You guys know the altoid tins? You can keep the listerine packet in there. Then you can say... I'll perform the mint trick with this altoid mints. Open the lid and there is the listerine packet and a little piece of paper that says
"Hi honey (i wouldn't really use honey but just for example) I really wanted the mints but here I left you this listerine packet. I hope it is good enough for you"

Love,
(whoever your girl is)

Sounds weird now that I think of it and probably doesn't make sense but it never hurts to write stuff like this maybe someone will expand on the thought.

Ricky
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Paul Harris Presents Strip by Jose Lac'Quest (1 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL