The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Paul Harris Presents Strip by Jose Lac'Quest (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8 [Next]
VcosNJ
View Profile
Inner circle
1180 Posts

Profile of VcosNJ
New demo out for the curious. Imagine the possibilities. Smile I'm about to put an order in..

Strip Demo 2
AlluTallu
View Profile
Veteran user
Finland
396 Posts

Profile of AlluTallu
My pre order is already in Smile. Thanks for the new demo and updates, this eases the pain even a little.

-Aleksi
PatrickGregoire
View Profile
Inner circle
1597 Posts

Profile of PatrickGregoire
On the Hocus-Pocus website it says it'll be available at the end of September.

The new Whack My Pack with Strip looks like it'd play super well, but I wonder two things:

1-How can you guarantee that they'll slam their hand down enough to click the lid shut? Sometimes they may just cup their hand around it.

2-How much of a beating will the Listerine packet take with this effect?
kissdadookie
View Profile
Inner circle
3941 Posts

Profile of kissdadookie
I don't think the lid clicking shut has anything to do with the way the mechanism of the gimmick works Smile I believe that it's a different "move" to activate the change Smile A Listerine packet box is pretty darn sturdy, unless you toss it on the ground and kick it around, these things can take quite a beating. I still have empty packs lying around that I've pretty much sat on quite a few times (I use to carry them and freshen up with them, they stayed in my back pants pocket).
PatrickGregoire
View Profile
Inner circle
1597 Posts

The add says that all you have to do is close the lid and the packet does the rest of the work for you. Plus you see in the first demo video that the lid isn't snapped shut until he makes the object vanish.

Keeping a packet in your pants all day and having spectators constantly smash their hands against it are two different scenarios. Plus, this is a gimmicked packet, maybe it's more fragile.
kissdadookie
View Profile
Inner circle
3941 Posts

Profile of kissdadookie
Look at the demo again, especially for the whack my pack, the lid is clearly and obviously closed before he places it on the grass. I have a good idea of what the gimmick and mechanism is, I'm pretty sure that this is as sturdy as a Listerine strip packet can be. It's also quite easy to place the packet on some napkins when working at tables, this will effectively act as a shock absorber.
Tom G
View Profile
Inner circle
2650 Posts

Profile of Tom G
Just talked to Paul. There are different ways to activate the gimmick. The whack your pack handling only requires a tap on the closed container by the spectator. The container and gimmick are very sturdy and should last a very long time.
Jean-Luc.R.
View Profile
Inner circle
QUEBEC - CANADA
1389 Posts

Profile of Jean-Luc.R.
PAUL Harris WEBSITE UPDATE

Thanks to all for your patience in waiting for the new releases. Here's the best information available on when these new effects will be ready to ship. Keep in mind that just about anything can cause a delay ... but we're doing everything possible to keep things on track.

STRIP (Jose La'Quest)

For all who pre-ordered. This should be in the mail to you early next week. So this is ready to go and you should have your strips very, very soon.
AlluTallu
View Profile
Veteran user
Finland
396 Posts

Profile of AlluTallu
This is good news! It's almost here Smile
PatrickGregoire
View Profile
Inner circle
1597 Posts

It's available. Now all I'm wondering is how long it'll take to get to my house. This is the toughest part to get through.
AlluTallu
View Profile
Veteran user
Finland
396 Posts

Profile of AlluTallu
So these have been shipped or are they shipped next week Smile? And Patrick, I agree - waiting for the package to arrive is the toughest part! Have to start checking the mail box twice a day only to find out that it hasn't arrived yet Smile This is why I hate living in Finland!

-Aleksi
PatrickGregoire
View Profile
Inner circle
1597 Posts

They're probably shipping next week as mentioned on PH's site, but the pre-order stage has ended; they are now available. So maybe they sent them out earlier than they said. Who knows.
Mercury52
View Profile
Inner circle
Kevin Reylek
2118 Posts

Profile of Mercury52
I just received the shipping notification email for my preorder, so hopefully I'll see this in my mailbox by the end of the week. Looking forward to it!

Kevin
Kevin Reylek
Mercury52
View Profile
Inner circle
Kevin Reylek
2118 Posts

Profile of Mercury52
This arrived in my mailbox today. I didn't preorder Strip right away, since I'm trying to control my impulse buys, but after the 2nd demo got posted and I'd watched both a few times, I decided it was right up my alley and something I could really use.

I'll post a full review in the next few days, but for a quick overview, this is a really great item. You receive the DVD, the gimmicked Listerine box, and a supply of actual Listerine Strips.

The DVD stars Joe Russell and is shot in the same way as previous PH releases with Joe, such as the Souvenir Linking Rubberbands. I must admit, Joe is growing on me the more I see him. He explains things clearly and thoroughly. Total runtime is about 90 minutes.

The gimmick itself is fantastic. It's a clever idea, and is very well made. It is a real Listerine pack, so it's not totally indestructible, but should last a long time with moderate care. Using the gimmick is very easy. It'll take a small amount of practice, but not much before you're ready to show this to an audience.

There are multiple ways to 'trigger' the change, and they're all covered in detail on the DVD. What's great is that you can carry the box around in your pocket all day long and use it as a normal Listerine pack, and then go into the effect at a moment's notice. The gimmick can be used for vanishes, changes, or appearances, so the sky's really the limit as far as what kinds of effects can be accomplished. Personally, I'm more inclined to go for some of the more "organic" effects that are possible, rather than card effects. I can already do a bunch of card tricks that just use a deck, so I want to use this for something different.

Overall, this is a fantastic release with a clever, well-made gimmick and clear instruction. The gimmick is incredibly practical, as you can carry it all day, hand it to a spectator to offer them a breath strip, perform whatever effect you like, then give it to them again for examination with nothing to find. Awesome. Reset only takes a few seconds. It can't be reset in front of your audience, but if you can get just a few seconds alone, you can reset for a repeat or a different effect.

I'm going to test this out tomorrow and over the weekend for some magic buddies and lay-folk to see how it goes. I'll probably try a variety of the effects from the DVD, and then post back later with some results.

Based on a first impression of watching the DVD and playing with the gimmick privately, this is great. If you didn't preorder, I'd definitely recommend picking this up from Paul's website now or your favorite dealer, which I'd imagine should be pretty soon.

Kevin
Kevin Reylek
kissdadookie
View Profile
Inner circle
3941 Posts

Profile of kissdadookie
*** you Kevin, *** you. I'm still waiting for my usual brick and mortar sources to get them in stock!
Mercury52
View Profile
Inner circle
Kevin Reylek
2118 Posts

Profile of Mercury52
Sorry man! Swing by Fantasma tomorrow afternoon and I'll show it to ya!

;)

Kevin
Kevin Reylek
PatrickGregoire
View Profile
Inner circle
1597 Posts

You lucky little piece of poop. This sucks. I pre-ordered pretty much right when it started and I haven`t even received my shipping confirmation yet!
AlluTallu
View Profile
Veteran user
Finland
396 Posts

Profile of AlluTallu
Shipping confirmation received Smile! I hope this is soon in my pocket!

-Aleksi
PepeRuizSJ
View Profile
Loyal user
249 Posts

Profile of PepeRuizSJ
I don't think this has been discussed earlier.

I think the main advantage about this prop for me is that it says so much about the magician. Every prop we use says something about our performing persona, and this one says exactly what I want to say about mine. I like my magic to be casual, visual and trendy, among other things, and this prop fulfills these exact requirements. To know if this is for you you need to ask your self. Who carries around a pack of Listerine strips? and Is that the performing persona I want to show to my audience? I guess in general this applies to every single prop, and even item of clothing that we use or wear.

Just a little reflection.
Lord*Of*ILLUZION
View Profile
Regular user
California
119 Posts

Profile of Lord*Of*ILLUZION
Received mine today, two days after ordering! granted I am a couple of hours away from PH Presents. This is actually usable everyone, it will not go in the junk drawer like so many countless props we own. The engineering of the prop is very clever. The device will last for hundreds of performances before "having to readjust" Each person will have their own preference, but I prefer to do non-card effects whenever possible to limit suspicion and trickery. My favorite effect is when you make two squiggly lines transform into the spectators initials, that is probably the most startling of all changes because it immediately connects with the spectator, and they can take the breath strip with their initials on it as a keepsake. Imagine doing SLR followed by Strip, pretty deadly combo. Last thing, Janet Harris is amazing, she responded to my email within a couple of hours. Recommended!!
"Real Eyes, Realize, Real Lies"
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Paul Harris Presents Strip by Jose Lac'Quest (1 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL