The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Paul Harris Presents Strip by Jose Lac'Quest (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8 [Next]
Nico Zottos
View Profile
Elite user
486 Posts

Profile of Nico Zottos
Mike, whats not to get? Its an effect that you can do if you didn't bring a deck of cards and you should have it with you at all times. Its a visual quicky. But hey, everyone has their opinions.
Newb2
View Profile
Elite user
483 Posts

Profile of Newb2
I'm not sure if I get the logic behind it also. A Listerine box is so small so you're a lot more limited to the size of the items you're changing. And why a Listerine box? Sure everyone knows what it is, but why would you want to do magic with it?
kissdadookie
View Profile
Inner circle
4275 Posts

Profile of kissdadookie
I don't understand some of the logic in this thread. It appears that people feel that the Listerine box is a uncommon object? It's highly recognizable and many people actually do carry one around. Another thing that seemed strange to me, why is it that people feel that it's strange to use a Listerine strip box to perform magic with? Why do you have to have more motivation apart from "I'm going to put it in here just so you can see that I'm not going to touch it and it's in full view, so no tricky business?" The only limiting factor is the objects that could be used, but apart from that, this looks quite good. Point to take away at the end is that a Listerine strip box is as organic and common every day object as one can get. If you feel that it's strange to be performing with a Listerine strip box, think about all the coin magic with Kennedy halves (how many people actually even carry those around on them apart from magicians), a deck of cards (why would a normal person even be carrying a deck of cards on them in the first place, why are you doing card tricks? If magic was real, the last thing a person would perform are card tricks), etc. If carrying Kennedy halves and a deck of cards is considered fine then certainly there's no harm in using a Listerine strip box.
PatrickGregoire
View Profile
Inner circle
2247 Posts

Profile of PatrickGregoire
So what if it's small. It was made to change small items. You want to switch larger items, use a change bag. This is for those who want to change small items. Why a Listerine box? Because it's common, it's something someone might actually have on them, it has a clear lid to see the magic, it's small (that's actually an ADVANTAGE) so it fits in your pocket easily, it's a container that can fit stuff inside of it. No, nobody puts stuff in a Listerine packet, but that's what's interesting about it. Using an ordinary item to them and doing something odd. It'll immediately get them interested when you stuff something inside of there and tell them to watch. I've already offered one presentational idea and I'm sure there are plenty more. If you're not interested, don't buy it. They aren't going to take it off the market because some people think it's weird to do magic with a Listerine packet. No offense to anyone.
kissdadookie
View Profile
Inner circle
4275 Posts

Profile of kissdadookie
Darn you Patrick, why'd you have to repeat my post, ha ha. So yeah, what I said and what Patrick said sums it up, this is as organic of a prop as it gets and it's obviously for small objects which is blatantly obvious. If you need to change that rubber chicken into a stuffed rabbit, you're obviously not going to use Strip for that.
Newb2
View Profile
Elite user
483 Posts

Profile of Newb2
I don't agree that it's as organic as a prop as it can get. "Let me just put this corner of a card inside this Listerine box where I cannot get to it." "Let me put a sticker inside this Listerine box." Seems off to me. That's my opinion and no offense to anyone that thinks differently, but it's just my justification as of now as why I won't be picking it up.
Sam Weiss
View Profile
Loyal user
Stratford, CT should have more than
278 Posts

Profile of Sam Weiss
Quote:
On 2009-08-14 23:06, Sam Weiss wrote:
So do you get a special gimmicked strip container with this or can it be done with any strip container? That would be cool if it was built in to a regular pack...

No one answered my question yet... does anyone know?
"There's something that gets in your soul when you study magic,it's in your heart, and when you perform it comes across the footlights and into everybody else's heart..."
-Denny Haney
kissdadookie
View Profile
Inner circle
4275 Posts

Profile of kissdadookie
Seems off? Again, let me ask you, how much further off is having a deck of cards on your or a Kennedy half? Take the magician's thinking cap off for just a second there. Why CAN'T you put a sticker or a card or a bill in a Listerine pack? How is this any more illogical than let's say... the Wow gimmick? Most magicians love the Wow gimmick but look at the extent we have to go to in order to justify the gimmick, and even when justified, the gimmick is still highly suspect at the end. You take out a Listerine packet for a effect, the only thing on the audience's mind is what you are going to be doing with that Listerine packet. Now, after your perform that very visual change, the next thing they are going to want to do is to inspect the Listerine packet (which apparently they can). Putting a sticker inside of a Listerine strips box is as illogical as doing a card trick or a coin trick. But hey, like you said, it's your opinion. No offense taken of course but I sincerely hope that you step outside of the box for a moment and just take a look at the effects that you perform and see how many of those effects truly are organic or logical. Deck of cards to me is quite illogical to be pulling out to perform an effect, pulling out a Listerine box isn't illogical at all, they specs just wonder what you are going to be using it for, the organic part is that the Listerine box is really WAY below their suspicion radars because it's such a common item that one would find in many people's pockets or bags.
PatrickGregoire
View Profile
Inner circle
2247 Posts

If you were to buy this Newb2, would you use it for as many effects as you can or would you focus on just one? I will buy this and focus on just one, the vanishing bill. I gave my presentation for it in this topic and it's logical and justified to place the bill inside the Listerine packet. If you find that one effect you can perform with this gimmick and it works for you, then who cares if all the other things you can do with it don't strike you as logical. Just because it can do stuff with card corners and stickers, doesn't mean you have to use them with this. Sounds like it's not the Listerine packet that's bothering you, but why you'd be using a Listerine packet. Answer that question yourself by finding the right effect and you won't have anything to complain about anymore.

kissdadookie: Your post wasn't there yet when I was writing mine. It only showed up when mine was posted, so I guess we wrote it at the same time, even though it says there is a 12 minute difference.

EDIT: Here we go again... I posted at the same time as you and your post and the guy's above yours got posted after I posted mine.
kissdadookie
View Profile
Inner circle
4275 Posts

Profile of kissdadookie
Ha ha. So let me add some more to my previous post. Here's where I see the big difference in what makes something illogical, logical, and organic. If one was to take out a deck of cards to perform a trick, the moment they took out the deck of cards is already illogical and highly out of place because this is not something a person usually takes out (it's a surprise that they even carry a deck of cards on them). You take out a Listerine box, they wonder about what you are going to do with it (or maybe you just took it out to take out a strip to freshen your breath, then you go straight into a effect using the box). They will not wonder why you have a Listerine box on your person in the first place. That's the glaring difference. Newb2, your comment about how it WASN'T organic really has to do with the effects that you pointed out NOT the prop. To be perfectly honest, not many effects are actually very logical if you think about it, magic in itself is inherently illogical because one is making something impossible, possible. Our goal is to make it entertaining, amazing, and keep the interests of our audience. We're in some ways breaking the audience's logic Smile
PatrickGregoire
View Profile
Inner circle
2247 Posts

Quote:
On 2009-08-16 00:10, kissdadookie wrote:
Newb2, your comment about how it WASN'T organic really has to do with the effects that you pointed out NOT the prop.

That was the main point of my previous post. Who's copying who know? Smile

Quote:
On 2009-08-16 00:01, PatrickGregoire wrote:
Sounds like it's not the Listerine packet that's bothering you, but why you'd be using a Listerine packet.
kissdadookie
View Profile
Inner circle
4275 Posts

Profile of kissdadookie
Ha ha, you have a point Smile
palmtreemagic!
View Profile
Loyal user
Everywhere and wherever
261 Posts

Profile of palmtreemagic!
The listerine strip box is a very ordinary object. You can start the effects as an ice breaker by offering listerine strips to your audience and than tell them to hold on to the case in their hand. Have a card selected, make it vanish, and suddenly it appears in the listerine box which the spectator was holding on to the whole time without a clue how it got there. Sounds great for close-up/street magic. I got my pre-order in.
Unleashing the moment of astonishment, one impromptu situation at a time.
mike storz
View Profile
Inner circle
Orange, CT
1353 Posts

Profile of mike storz
It's great to see that this effect is appealing to some. It might not "make sense" to you or me but to others they'll hopefully make good use of it and create some routines that will hopefully change our minds! For now, not for me.

Keep the effects coming Paul because I love them all, well almost all!!! Smile

mike Smile

Ps- I'll keep reading and hoping to become a believer.
Rpascual
View Profile
Special user
USA
668 Posts

Profile of Rpascual
This looks way to extreme close-up. I guess this is only good in well lighted places instead of for example a low lit restaurant.
Sam Weiss
View Profile
Loyal user
Stratford, CT should have more than
278 Posts

Profile of Sam Weiss
Quote:
On 2009-08-15 23:58, Sam Weiss wrote:
Quote:
On 2009-08-14 23:06, Sam Weiss wrote:
So do you get a special gimmicked strip container with this or can it be done with any strip container? That would be cool if it was built in to a regular pack...

No one answered my question yet... does anyone know?

Again... my question was skipped over... anyone know the answer... ?
"There's something that gets in your soul when you study magic,it's in your heart, and when you perform it comes across the footlights and into everybody else's heart..."
-Denny Haney
Nico Zottos
View Profile
Elite user
486 Posts

Profile of Nico Zottos
How bout you wait for someone that does know the answer rather than constantly posting the same thing over and over again. You act as though you are being left out while if you take a look, no one on this thread knows how it works and no questions have been answered. Just chill out and wait and Im sure someone shall notice your three posts.
Douglas Lippert
View Profile
Inner circle
E Pluribus Unum
2343 Posts

Profile of Douglas Lippert
Quote:
On 2009-08-15 22:33, kissdadookie wrote:
I don't understand some of the logic in this thread. It appears that people feel that the Listerine box is a uncommon object? It's highly recognizable and many people actually do carry one around. Another thing that seemed strange to me, why is it that people feel that it's strange to use a Listerine strip box to perform magic with? Why do you have to have more motivation apart from "I'm going to put it in here just so you can see that I'm not going to touch it and it's in full view, so no tricky business?" The only limiting factor is the objects that could be used, but apart from that, this looks quite good. Point to take away at the end is that a Listerine strip box is as organic and common every day object as one can get. If you feel that it's strange to be performing with a Listerine strip box, think about all the coin magic with Kennedy halves (how many people actually even carry those around on them apart from magicians), a deck of cards (why would a normal person even be carrying a deck of cards on them in the first place, why are you doing card tricks? If magic was real, the last thing a person would perform are card tricks), etc. If carrying Kennedy halves and a deck of cards is considered fine then certainly there's no harm in using a Listerine strip box.

Nobody is arguing that the Listerine packet isn't a common object.
Douglas Lippert
Former I.B.M. Ring #8 Secretary
Mark Jones
View Profile
New user
48 Posts

Profile of Mark Jones
Nobody is arguing that, but the truth is that in Europe is not that common.
Tom G
View Profile
Inner circle
2895 Posts

Profile of Tom G
Strip uses a genuine gimmicked strip case that can be completely examined at the end of the effect. The gimmick is not "portable" and is permanently built into the case. Hope this helps.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Paul Harris Presents Strip by Jose Lac'Quest (1 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL