The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Fakini disaster (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
mcharisse
View Profile
Inner circle
York. PA
1219 Posts

Profile of mcharisse
I am by no means a great manipulator, but competent enough with my 2-inch Fakinis if my hands are dry. I don't do the billiard balls often as I mostly do children's birthdays and other semi-close-up venues.
While practicing for a stage show recently however, I find that if my hands prespire, the balls get very slippery. I've washed them, as well as my hands, which seems to help for a few minutes, but as soon as I sweat, I can't seem to hold the balls at all. I used to use the Vernets, which grip better under these conditions, but much prefer the look of the larger Fakinis.
As I usually prespire from stress before a show, this is a deal breaker unless I can find a way to keep my hands dry. I talked to a more accomplished manipulator who said the same thing, though he must sweat less than I do. He thinks it actually has to do with atmospheric conditions that cause the balls to lose their grip.
Has anyone else encountered this? Any suggestions for keeping my hands dry to better grip the balls? -- they literally seem to lose all their tackiness as soon as my hands are slightly moist.

Marc (THe Magic Man) Charisse
Kent Wong
View Profile
Inner circle
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
2458 Posts

Profile of Kent Wong
I don't know the official name for it, but there is a powder that professional baseball players and bowlers use to keep their hands dry. It looks like talcom powder. You might want to give that a try.

Kent
"Believing is Seeing"
<BR>______________________
<BR>
<BR>www.kentwongmagic.com
Matt101
View Profile
New user
88 Posts

Profile of Matt101
Some member of MagicCafé mentioned that he is using rosewood oil - I have never tried it but you can give it a try!
Stanyon
View Profile
Inner circle
Landrum, S.C. by way of Chicago
3409 Posts

Profile of Stanyon
ROSIN is what you are thinking of Kent.
Stanyon

aka Steve Taylor

"Every move a move!"

"If you've enjoyed my performance half as much as I've enjoyed performing for you, then you've enjoyed it twice as much as me!"
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13406 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
There are some hair gels that are very thick. Almost like a paste.
I believe ICE is one of them. A little dab could do you.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
JamesTong
View Profile
Eternal Order
Malaysia
11208 Posts

Profile of JamesTong
Quote:
On 2009-08-12 11:19, Stanyon wrote:

Is this the same rosin used for the violin?
Nick W
View Profile
Special user
515 Posts

Profile of Nick W
Mcharisse

I have the same problems with Fakinis. Heres how I deal with it, maybe it can work for you:

For starters, make sure your Fakinis are clean. Dirty balls wont stick nicely no matter how dry your hands or the atmosphere is.

Right before a show I will wash my hands with soap and cold water. Cold water closes the pores and limits sweat from comeing thru...

Finally, just make sure you know your show. If my confidence is down, I sweat and fumble. But if I'm really comfortable with myself and my act, I'm not as nervous and in turn wont sweat.

to sum it up, clean balls, clean hands, and confidence....

maybe it can work for you;)
Kent Wong
View Profile
Inner circle
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
2458 Posts

Profile of Kent Wong
Quote:

Thanks! I knew it wasn't talcom powder, but nothing else came to mind. Smile

Kent
"Believing is Seeing"
<BR>______________________
<BR>
<BR>www.kentwongmagic.com
Darkwing
View Profile
Inner circle
Nashville Tn
1845 Posts

Profile of Darkwing
Try cheap hair spray. Go to the Dollar Store and buy a bottle. The cheaper the better. Spray the hair spray on your fingers. It will dry and will be tacky.
Stanyon
View Profile
Inner circle
Landrum, S.C. by way of Chicago
3409 Posts

Profile of Stanyon
Quote:
On 2009-08-12 12:31, JamesTong wrote:
Quote:

Probably, only powdered not solid form.
Stanyon

aka Steve Taylor

"Every move a move!"

"If you've enjoyed my performance half as much as I've enjoyed performing for you, then you've enjoyed it twice as much as me!"
Orange Eric
View Profile
New user
24 Posts

Profile of Orange Eric
I was once experimenting with with my set of billiards, and I rubbed some rubber cement all over one ball, let it dry, and it had an unbeliveable ammount of grip to it, I could do some moves that I've never done before, It does come off after awhile, it does no damage to the ball so you can rub more on before each performance, Just thought I would throw you that idea!
Darkwing
View Profile
Inner circle
Nashville Tn
1845 Posts

Profile of Darkwing
Here is something else you can try. I use a hank ball in my manipulation act and it gets slippery. I tried liquid latex and it works very well. It dries clear and it peels right off with no damage to the hank ball. It will literary stick to your hand. You can get the liquid latex at a place that sells theatrical make-up or clown make-up. It is very cheap and works very well.
mcharisse
View Profile
Inner circle
York. PA
1219 Posts

Profile of mcharisse
Thank you, everyone, for the many good suggestions. I'll experiment and report back.

Marc
Alexo
View Profile
Regular user
Long Island, NY
112 Posts

Profile of Alexo
For me patting my hands with fanning powder does the trick for sweaty hands.
London
View Profile
Special user
U.S.A.
769 Posts

Profile of London
I have found that if you wash your billiard balls and hands right before the show with "Dawn" dish soap it removes all oils and such. Also if you use "Corn huskers" hand lotion right before it gives your hand a tackiness .
THOUGHTfully,

LONDON
JamesTong
View Profile
Eternal Order
Malaysia
11208 Posts

Profile of JamesTong
Quote:
On 2009-08-12 17:53, Stanyon wrote:
Quote:
On 2009-08-12 12:31, JamesTong wrote:
Quote:

Probably, only powdered not solid form.

Thanks, Stanyon.

Do they sell the powdered form? Or we convert the solid form into powder ourselves?
ESJohn
View Profile
New user
49 Posts

Profile of ESJohn
James Tong,

I do not know if they sell it in powdered form but I have seen performers and athletes crush up a block of rosin and use the powder on their hands. That has seemed to do well.
JamesTong
View Profile
Eternal Order
Malaysia
11208 Posts

Profile of JamesTong
Thanks, Elliot. Looks like I have to crush a block of rosin into powder too. I'll give it a try.
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5699 Posts

Profile of Regan
I also think rosin would work, but it might also be problematic. You can get a small, rosin-filled pouch at sporting goods stores. (Check the baseball section) The powder will certainly help to dry the hands and make them hands tacky. You'll have to figure out a way to apply it just prior to your multiplying balls routine. It can be messy! I'm also not sure how it might effect your hands for other routines.
Mister Mystery
JamesTong
View Profile
Eternal Order
Malaysia
11208 Posts

Profile of JamesTong
That's the challenge, Regan, and an interesting challenge. What works for one routine may not necessarily work for another. It's all trial and error Smile and hopefully one day something work out great.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Fakini disaster (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL