The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » 20$ at Wal Mart? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
MichaelOzMagic
View Profile
Loyal user
Des Moines, Iowa
234 Posts

Profile of MichaelOzMagic
Hi everyone I had somthing that I thought would post somthing kind of fun. I didn't know were to post this so I am posting it here. If you had 20$ and went to wal mart and only had 1 hour what kind of props wuld you buy. Heres the catch, you have to preform an half hour show with the things you buy. So what would you guys get?
Peter Pitchford
View Profile
Elite user
Philly
423 Posts

Profile of Peter Pitchford
Cards, high bounce balls, toilet paper, twine or rope, scissors, and some bic pens (and keep my change for another effect).
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Container for Misers Dream, change for 2 dollars (all quarters), a newspaper, a computer mouse pad, rubber glue, and crayons.

Or a magic trick book.
Shortelz
View Profile
Regular user
I am proud of my
132 Posts

Profile of Shortelz
Cards, Paper, Glue. Keep the change for more cards
Kent Wong
View Profile
Inner circle
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
2458 Posts

Profile of Kent Wong
A deck of cards
crayons
rubber bands
Popsicle Sticks
4 super bounce balls
Rope & Scissors
bucket & coins

Kent
"Believing is Seeing"
<BR>______________________
<BR>
<BR>www.kentwongmagic.com
twistedace
View Profile
Inner circle
philadelphia
3772 Posts

Profile of twistedace
A deck of cards
Rope
Scissors
Lunch Bags
Rubber Cement
Party Balloons for balloon animals
Sharpie
Levent
View Profile
Special user
USA
801 Posts

Profile of Levent
I love this post as it really makes you think.

Personally I could do a lot longer than 1/2 hour with the $20, because I have a secret weapon!

I have a PDF version of the original Tarbell Course (as well as many other important magic books) stored on my iPhone!

Levent
http://www.LeventMagic.com
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11176 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Back in the early 1980's a magician, Ralph Sabetti, from the Peoria Ring gave a mini-lecture for us at that club entitled, "The Five Dollar Magic Show". It dealt with precisely the topic being discussed here. (Of course, $5.00 then is probably closer to $20.00 now!)

The premise was that he presented a very nice magic show, and then explained how everything used in the show cost about five dollars, and was all readily obtainable from most any variety type store. NOTHING came from a magic shop. I think somewhere here, I probably still have the minimal set of notes that were given out to those attending.

Mr. Sabetti is long since gone, but in the past 25+ years since then, I have thought about that lecture probably more than any other I have ever attended.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Loyal R
View Profile
Elite user
Canada
417 Posts

Profile of Loyal R
Quote:
On 2009-08-17 14:47, Levent wrote:

I have a PDF version of the original Tarbell Course (as well as many other important magic books) stored on my iPhone!

How did you got that?
Dare to Dream...
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Loyal R, the books are on a CD-Rom. Download it to your computer. Next, send it to your Smart/I Phone.
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13152 Posts

Profile of Tony Iacoviello
A drawing pad, some pens, index cards, a newspaper, and lunch.
If I had enough left over, a box of envelopes. I'd also ask for my change to be in coins with the exception of one $1 bill.

Tony
Jeremy L.
View Profile
Special user
800 Posts

Profile of Jeremy L.
Paper Napkins (T&R, sponge ball like routine, paper balls over the head and many more.)
A Deck of Card
Rope (Various rope tricks, routines and escapes)
Scissors (To cut the rope)
A cup or some other receptacle for Misers Dream.
The rest in coins.
Jeremy L.
Do you buy ethically?
Magic Fakes
hpcman
View Profile
New user
NYC
82 Posts

Profile of hpcman
Rope no scissors but get hold of a lighter
Cups -Pom poms etc.
Three lemons plus plastic knife from food vendor in Wal-Mart
4 Hangers
Deck of Cards
6 Baitworms
Pipe cleaners

Ben
JIMclubber64
View Profile
Loyal user
269 Posts

Profile of JIMclubber64
Interesting thread... assuming I was already well able to perform certain effects that I'm currently not...

Rope
Knife
Cards
cheap plastic poker chips
News paper
pen
small note pad

And if I still had money, some bouncy balls, 3 plastic cups, and perhaps 3 tenniss balls (for juggling)
"Magic should always have a purpose. [...] Find your purpose for performing. Only then will you be able to find the right trick!" -- Jay Noblezada
Heres Tony
View Profile
Loyal user
Orlando
263 Posts

Profile of Heres Tony
Depends partially on whether or not it's a stage or close-up show. Either way I would probably buy two decks of cards, some rope and a pair of scissors. If it was a close-up show I would also buy some post it notes and a bag of plastic knifes.

Come to think of it, most of my show comes from Walmart for less than $20 anyway.
Dreadnought
View Profile
Special user
Athens, Georgia
836 Posts

Profile of Dreadnought
This is a cool exercise. It's like a Top Chef quick fire for magicians Smile

Three or four small balls
paper cups
mouse pad
deck of cards
paper clips
change for a dollar
and keep a dollar
Peace

"Ave Maria gratia plena Dominus tecum..."

Scott

Would you do anything for the person you love?
Stucky
View Profile
Inner circle
I'm Batman!
1354 Posts

Profile of Stucky
Paper lunch sacks
Sprite bottle
rope
cards
magnets
rubber cement
poster board
cotton balls
lighter fluid
skewers
sharpies
napkins

A half hour easy!

Now my question to you guys is.. what exactly WOULD you do?
From my list I can eat fire, do cards across, rope thru body, vanishing bottle, sponge balls ala napkins. Plus whatever jazz magic I can think of.
Official Thread Killer
charliemartin
View Profile
Special user
Rapid City, SD
736 Posts

Profile of charliemartin
OMG..great question!!!!!! I competed against a "friend in magic" 2 months ago at a show called "Iron Magician". We were given 3 items and we had to come up with 3 tricks in 15 minutes. We were allowed to bring any magic gimmicks we had on hand. It was really fun, though 15 minutes passed way too quickly. Then we had to present the tricks in front of the audience as well. What were the 3 items?...lemons, #2 pencils and Black & White calendars.I lost but had an awesome time.

Charlie
MichaelOzMagic
View Profile
Loyal user
Des Moines, Iowa
234 Posts

Profile of MichaelOzMagic
Wow that sounds pretty cool Charlie and also Stucky can you go a little more in depth with your routine I really liked what you said so now I'm kinda curious? Thanks everyone for posting keep sharing your ideas in this post its fun to hear what other people would do
Thanks everyone magician 4life
absoulute
View Profile
New user
Birmingham, AL
66 Posts

Profile of absoulute
Don't forget you can get some thimbles from the arts and crafts department as well
Since we can never hope to understand why we are here, if there's anything to understand, the individual should choose a goal and pursue it wholeheartedly, despite the certainty of death and the meaninglessness of action. - Martin Heidegger
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » 20$ at Wal Mart? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL