The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » What is More Important...? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
Christopher Lyle
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas, Texas
5698 Posts

Profile of Christopher Lyle
I'm doing a liitle field research for a project I'm working on and thought I'd pose the question to you guys...

Do you think its more important to be amazing or entertaining?
In Mystery,

Christopher Lyle
Magician, Comic, Daredevil, and Balloon Twisting Genius
For a Good Time...CLICK HERE!
lunatik
View Profile
Inner circle
3225 Posts

Profile of lunatik
How about being amazingly entertaining?
"Don't let your Dreams become Fantasies"
Mediocre the Great
View Profile
Inner circle
Rich Hurley
1062 Posts

Profile of Mediocre the Great
Amazing is necessary but not sufficient. I firmly believe that the best magic is BOTH amazing and entertaining.
Mediocrity is greatly under rated!
--------------------------------------------

Rich Hurley aka Mediocre The Great!
www.RichHurleyMagic.com
Whit Haydn
View Profile
V.I.P.
5449 Posts

Profile of Whit Haydn
"Amazing" is all you need--if you only plan to hold their attention for one really quick trick.

"Entertaining" will help you hold their attention for a second, third or fourth trick, or keep their attention while you finish setting up the "Amazing" trick.

It isn't hard to hold people's attention for a minute. That is not long enough for most paying gigs.
Terry Veckey
View Profile
Regular user
Medford, Or. U.S.A.
140 Posts

Profile of Terry Veckey
Amazingly good or amazingly bad?

Both can be entertaining in their own ways, lol.

Have fun!
Terry V.
-The Lesser Known-
<BR>Terry Veckey
<BR>-"There is no place for laughter in magic." B.Martin-
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Apples and oranges...

Calling one's self an entertainer places certain demands on the entertainer. Calling one's self a magician comes with other demands.

They are not the same, and therefore cannot be held in direct comparison.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
dcjames
View Profile
Special user
577 Posts

Profile of dcjames
Quote:
On 2009-08-15 16:20, Christopher Lyle wrote:
I'm doing a liitle field research for a project I'm working on and thought I'd pose the question to you guys...

Do you think its more important to be amazing or entertaining?

I'm sure most of us have seen magicians with such fun personalities and who were so entertaining that their performances were absolutely amazing to watch. Often times if we really think back to the actual effects performed and the skill level required to accomplish them the answer may be that being entertaining trumps being amazing.

Of course the corollary is that a performer who possesses great skills and magical ability will be amazing to watch as well, which in turn, is very entertaining.

I think the answer to this conundrum is a matter of perspective and will differ depending on the audience. From the layperson’s point of view, I believe the great entertainer would be the hands down choice every time. While an audience comprised mostly of magicians may prefer to be amazed by the technical abilities of a highly skilled performer.

This is a great question. Thanks for posting it.
“Magic is very easy to do - poorly.”

Tommy Wonder
The Books of Wonder
Volume 2
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Quote:
On 2009-08-15 16:44, Whit Haydn wrote:
"Amazing" is all you need--if you only plan to hold their attention for one really quick trick.

"Entertaining" will help you hold their attention for a second, third or fourth trick, or keep their attention while you finish setting up the "Amazing" trick.

It isn't hard to hold people's attention for a minute. That is not long enough for most paying gigs.

Put another way, what you want is not their attention, but their interest. Being entertaining will capture (and hold) their interest.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Is it a choice? Do the two have to be mutually exclusive? Why not strive for both?

My educated guess is you already know this sir!!! I have seen you work.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Whit Haydn
View Profile
V.I.P.
5449 Posts

Profile of Whit Haydn
Quote:
On 2009-08-15 21:33, Dannydoyle wrote:
Is it a choice? Do the two have to be mutually exclusive? Why not strive for both?

I don't think he asked if they were mutually exclusive, rather which was "more important."
tabman
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
5946 Posts

Profile of tabman
Entertaining will take you farther I think.

-=tabman
...Your professional woodworking and "tender" loving care in the products you make, make the wait worthwhile. Thanks for all you do...

http://Sefalaljia.com
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On 2009-08-15 21:36, Whit Haydn wrote:
Quote:
On 2009-08-15 21:33, Dannydoyle wrote:

I don't think he asked if they were mutually exclusive, rather which was "more important."

True. I guess everything has an "order" of sorts if you think of it.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
mota
View Profile
Inner circle
1658 Posts

Profile of mota
Entertaining...and likable. If they like you they will like what you do.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24314 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Really, the most important thing is that they like you. If they like you, they will like your magic.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Whit Haydn
View Profile
V.I.P.
5449 Posts

Profile of Whit Haydn
I'm not sure completly on that. I have seen very likable and charming people do some very non-engaging and silly magic. The audiences were nice to them and polite, but I don't think they liked the performance or that it raised their appreciation for magic.

It may be more that if they don't like you, they won't like your magic.
Sammy J.
View Profile
Inner circle
Castle Rock, Colorado
1786 Posts

Profile of Sammy J.
Entertainment will leave a more lasting impression than just astonishment in my book if you are doing something like walk around close up. The holy grail is to do both at the same time. If you are just doing one effect, then astonishment is probably the goal. I agree with Bill, that if they like you, they will like your magic, but that is no excuse for doing magic that starts with "Do you want to see a card trick? You have to find the right mix. I think people are more comfortable being entertained than fooled (amazed). It allows them to laugh and be relaxed.
Sammy J. Teague
slyhand
View Profile
Inner circle
Good ole Virginia
1908 Posts

Profile of slyhand
I guess it depends on how amazing and how entertaining.

If I vanished with no cover, surrounded and 3 feet in front of them when I snapped my fingers, I don't think I have to be very entertaining for them to remember me for the rest of their lives.

If I made them laugh so hard that they puked, my magic does not have to be all that amazing.
I am getting so tired of slitting the throats of people who say that I am a violent psychopath.

Alec
Sammy J.
View Profile
Inner circle
Castle Rock, Colorado
1786 Posts

Profile of Sammy J.
Nothing like making them puke from laughter! That will be a memory for them and those around them!
Sammy J. Teague
The Burnaby Kid
View Profile
Inner circle
St. John's, Canada
3158 Posts

Profile of The Burnaby Kid
I reject the dichotomy as false. Personally, if I entertain but I don't mystify, I feel I've failed. If I mystify but I don't entertain, I feel I've failed.

Personally, I loathe the question. This is not a criticism aimed at you, Christopher, but so often, when I hear this question put forth, it's from those who don't want to put the effort into doing both.
JACK, the Jolly Almanac of Card Knavery, a free card magic resource for beginners.
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Quote:
On 2009-08-16 00:35, Sammy J. wrote:
Nothing like making them puke from laughter! That will be a memory for them and those around them!

Especially if they're in the balcony.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » What is More Important...? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL