The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Knots and loops » » Mongolian Pop knot (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

funkyguy
View Profile
New user
73 Posts

Profile of funkyguy
I saw Mr. Haydn himself do this at a conference several years ago and liked it so much that I bought it. I have been doing it since then with his routine slightly modified to suit me. I was wondering if anybody out there would had any other great presentation ideas for this effect? Maybe using a spectator or something? Let me know.
zombieboy
View Profile
Special user
Connecticut, USA
889 Posts

Profile of zombieboy
Could you describe the effect?
vinsmagic
View Profile
Eternal Order
sleeping with the fishes...
10959 Posts

Profile of vinsmagic
Try Buying
Whits video The Mongolian Pop Knot it is one of the best
vinny
Come check out my magic.

http://www.vinnymarini.com
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5445 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
The Effect is rather straightforward.

A rope is cut, tied together and the knot pops off. Then the rope is cut into three equal lengths that seem to change size (short, medium, and long pieces), and then they are stretched and shrunk back to three equal lengths. The three ropes are tied together, the two knots are “popped” off and tossed into the audience, and the rope is shown restored to one piece.
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
Whit Haydn
View Profile
V.I.P.
5449 Posts

Profile of Whit Haydn
Great description, Harry. The routine is premised upon teaching the audience how to do the "old cut and restored rope." Everything in the routine is motivated, and makes sense in context.

It is not just a series of rope "effects" done one after the other. The internal line of reasoning helps to hold the interest of the spectators and keep them focused on the trick.

The humor comes from the performer not realizing that he is making sexual double entendres in his instruction, and his frustration with the audience's laughter and lack of attention, as if he were a substitute teacher and they were an unruly class.

The rope used is 12 to 14 feet, and that allows the routine to be used on the largest stages. I performed it once for eight thousand people when opening for Conway Twitty. It plays really big.
JamesinLA
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3400 Posts

Profile of JamesinLA
Mr. Haydn has put a lot of deep thought into the routine that, I believe, was arrived at by doing the trick on the street. Like the fact that once the rope was restored back into one piece after the professor's nightmare, audience would like to inspect the rope. Whit discovered that by having the knots "pop off" and then throwing the knots into the audience, that satisfies the audience and they no longer have the desire to inspect the rope at the end of the routine. I have used the effect myself on the street to great effect. "How does he do that?!" is what you hear.
Jim
Oh, my friend we're older but no wiser, for in our hearts the dreams are still the same...
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
James... going to Europe for a few weeks, when I get back, we should get together at the Castle... had a ball last week with several Magic Café folks in attendance to watch Steven Youell... he is coming back Sept. 25 to work the W. C. Fields bar there.

See ya Smile
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Whit Haydn
View Profile
V.I.P.
5449 Posts

Profile of Whit Haydn
James:

Thanks for your comments about performing the routine on the street. Yes, it was developed on the street back in the 60's in New York City, along with my Comedy Four Ring Routine. The entire trick is built around the need to draw a crowd and for holding their attention, and keeping them from walking off on you.

If this routine works to keep an audience under the conditions of the street, it is even more powerful when the audience is in a controlled environment as in a theater setting.
JamesinLA
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3400 Posts

Profile of JamesinLA
Pete,
Just saw your post. Have fun in Europe with their new money and look forward to getting together at the castle upon your return!

Whit,
Thanks for two great routines which I have used on the street to great effect: your rope routine and your 4 ring routine. Working the street, I have found, is strengthening my performing abilities overall, so that I will be better in other situations as well.
Oh, my friend we're older but no wiser, for in our hearts the dreams are still the same...
sdgiu
View Profile
Elite user
The Boonies, NC
456 Posts

Profile of sdgiu
Ok guys, I'm a little confused Smile, it sounds like a series of tricks tied together by a good story line,

i.e.:
(please pardon the probable oversimplification.)
a cut and restored rope routine,
a Professors nightmare routine,
and at least one more cut and restored routine,
all using the same rope.

If this correct, where can I buy Whit’s video, “The Mongolian Pop Knot”?

Thanks
Steve Smile
cfrye
View Profile
Special user
Portland, Oregon, USA
940 Posts

Profile of cfrye
Quote:
On 2003-11-02 17:23, sdgiu wrote:
Ok guys, I'm a little confused Smile, it sounds like a series of tricks tied together by a good story line,

i.e.:
(please pardon the probable oversimplification.)
a cut and restored rope routine,
a Professors nightmare routine,
and at least one more cut and restored routine,
all using the same rope.

It's not that much of an oversimplification, actually. There's a lot to the handling of the routine, of course, but that is the sequence.

Quote:
If this correct, where can I buy Whit’s video, “The Mongolian Pop Knot”?

You can visit the School for Scoundrels at http://www.schoolforscoundrels.com/ and see if they have any videos left. There is also a manuscript available, which I do recommend you get.

Also, if I remember correctly, the School for Scoundrels videos will be released on DVD by the end of the year.
BroDavid
View Profile
Inner circle
America’s North Coast, Ohio
3176 Posts

Profile of BroDavid
Last I checked they (School for Scoundrels) didn't have any videos left, so I picked up the manuscript. It is just what you would expect, very visual, great audience appeal, and "street proven."

Although I am a very visual learner, and usually prefer video, this isn't rocket science, so with the booklet, and an appropriate amount of practice, it is highly effective.

BroDavid
If you stand for nothing, you will fall for anything.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Knots and loops » » Mongolian Pop knot (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL