The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » What happened, was this... » » Just me and my rings (a 3 ring circus) (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

BroDavid
View Profile
Inner circle
America’s North Coast, Ohio
3177 Posts

Profile of BroDavid
I had a great experience this past weekend.

I will be setting up a street pitch at a very large flea market that has huge new modern building, and tons of outside space, and thousands of people through there.

It was raining so I didn't even think about setting up outside, as in my plan this week. But I went inside, carrying three 10" rings, to show a friend who has a magic shop in the building there.

As I walked up to his little 10 foot opening he was behind the counter demoing some stuff, and had about 5-6 people looking. So he says; LOOK! There is a magician with Rings. Want to see what he can do with them?
And people stepped away a bit to give me room, and the number of people started to grow.

I went into a variation of Chris Capehart's 3 ring routine, my own 3 ring circus. And was involving several folks, as I crash linked right in their hands and went through about a 6 minutes performance.

By the time I was done, I had more than 20 folks watching and applauding.

Then as he was now busy from all these new folks, I stepped away to an opening about 15 feet away form him, and was just leaning up against a wall and fiddling with the rings, thinking through, and miming some moves, and I looked up and I had about 6 more people watching me. So I started engaging them, got a great conversation going with a little old lady, and ended up doing another set of the same ring routine. I need the practice, so this was all just great. What better way to practice than with a live audience.

This time when I finished, I had close to 30 people huddled around being amazed at what was happening with these big silver rings.

I had been concerned that this particular audience which contains many Amish might be offended by magic. But it seems that my kind of magic, (family and Morally righteous) won't be a problem.

Now I can't wait until this Saturday when I will do my whole street routine and pass the hat.

I didn't think I was going to do much other than just show a friend something with the rings that we had talked about, but I ended up gaining a great deal of confidence for this venue, and having a bunch of fun.

Magic, Don't leave home without it!

BroDavid
If you stand for nothing, you will fall for anything.
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5307 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
I am reminded of another thread somewhere here on the Café wherein some magicians felt that the rings were amongst the worst tricks ever and much exposed! Just goes to show that some folks probably have never seen a real magician do the rings live and in person! Not to mention that these same folks probably don’t watch exposure shows on TV.

Great story! Great experience!

I’m looking forward to reading about your full street act/passing the hat experience.
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
Jeffrey Cowan
View Profile
Regular user
Los Angeles, CA
135 Posts

Profile of Jeffrey Cowan
Where's the part about passing the hat after you finished?! Smile
BroDavid
View Profile
Inner circle
America’s North Coast, Ohio
3177 Posts

Profile of BroDavid
I could not pass the hat on this session because the people who run the facility are very testy about you being out of place. And since I didn't have a permanent stand in the building, they would have thrown me out for good. I will be performing there outside, (when it isn't raining) and I am working on getting them to let me use the common space inside during the winter.

BroDavid
If you stand for nothing, you will fall for anything.
markjens
View Profile
Loyal user
N. CA
213 Posts

Profile of markjens
I had never been a great fan of the rings until I spent about twenty minutes with Tim Ellis and his rings. What a brilliant presentation, and more, wonderful handling of the rings. I am now a real converted believer - oh yeah, in rings, too Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » What happened, was this... » » Just me and my rings (a 3 ring circus) (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.1 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL