The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Troublewit Folding? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22114 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
The best Troublewit routine I have witnessed is Dick Stoner's, he of course uses the same figures that Sid Lorraine published in his publication. Dick's routine flows from one figure to another while pattering an interesting story.

I believe it is one of his best routines he has put together, of course he created it back in the 1940's or so. If you get a chance, ask him to show it to you. You will be mesmerized.
Vietnam Veteran 1967, Sgt. E-5

Graduate of Chavez College of Prestidigitation and Showmanship

"Magic With A Twist Of Comedy"
DWRackley
View Profile
Inner circle
Chattanooga, TN
1909 Posts

Profile of DWRackley
When I worked in a magic shop as a teen, there was one of these just lying around. It was red and blue, and it seems like it was much larger than 26x40. A couple times the owner, Carl Davis, showed me some of the shapes it would make. I’d play with it when business was slow (and Carl wasn’t around!)

I’ve made a couple of my own over the years, just to play with, but had no idea the history or importance of it. Now I’m looking at it with fresh eyes, and it would be a perfect fit for one of my characters!

Thank you, Andrew!
…and for the link, Domino…
...what if I could read your mind?

Chattanooga's Premier Mentalist

Donatelli and Company at ChattanoogaPerformers.com

also on FaceBook
DWRackley
View Profile
Inner circle
Chattanooga, TN
1909 Posts

Profile of DWRackley
Found an item of interest on The Learned Pig in the Online Books section. (Won’t post the link here for obvious reasons.)

In “Novel Notions” by Robertson-Keene, at the bottom of page 109 begins a short section titled “To Paper-Folders”. Don't think he’s exactly talking about Troublewit, but it makes sense anyway. They can be made with regular typing paper if anyone wanted to take the bother, his presentation would work for close-up or parlor, and could even provide souvenirs for certain audience members.

Now if I just knew what material he was referring to as “cartridge” Smile

also on FaceBook
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22114 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
DWRackley, if you would take the time to read the above post, you would have read that Cartridge Paper is refering to Shoot Gun Shell paper. Many Shot Gun people make there own shoot gun shells from scratch. That paper that holds the 'shot' is called cartridge paper.

I hope you take a minute and read this post.
Vietnam Veteran 1967, Sgt. E-5

Graduate of Chavez College of Prestidigitation and Showmanship

"Magic With A Twist Of Comedy"
DWRackley
View Profile
Inner circle
Chattanooga, TN
1909 Posts

Profile of DWRackley
So it says, thank you. It's been a couple weeks since I read that, and I did forget. Thanks for pointing it out. Smile

also on FaceBook
Stanyon
View Profile
Inner circle
Landrum, S.C. by way of Chicago
3392 Posts

Profile of Stanyon
Being an avid "shotgunner" I have never had the urge to make my own shells from scratch and don't know anyone that does. What shotgunners will do is reload usable spent casings with primer, powder, wadding and shot. Maybe around the turn of the 20th century shooters may have been "rolling their own" (doubtful), but shotgun ammo has been mass produced since the later half of the 1800's.

FWIW
Stanyon

aka Steve Taylor

"Every move a move!"

"If you've enjoyed my performance half as much as I've enjoyed performing for you, then you've enjoyed it twice as much as me!"
sleightly
View Profile
Elite user
New Hampshire
500 Posts

Profile of sleightly
Here is a link to the citations for cartridge paper and its early use in ballistic shells:

http://cool.conservation-us.org/don/dt/dt0594.html

DWRackley: Nice catch on the Keene reference. It seems like he is referring to Troublewit, although one could prepare pre-made shapes with other standard origami folds. Keene does detail construction and forms in More Novel Notions...

Andrew
sleightly
View Profile
Elite user
New Hampshire
500 Posts

Profile of sleightly
Can we get this thread moved to Rectangles and Pentagons and Squares, Oh My? It more properly belongs with the paper folding topics.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Troublewit Folding? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL