The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » APPealing or APPalling? » » Rising Card - Chris Kenner (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
Josh Chaikin
View Profile
Inner circle
Kansas City
1430 Posts

Profile of Josh Chaikin
Quote:
On 2009-08-18 15:46, Joshua Barrett wrote:
Quote:
On 2009-08-18 12:28, Christopher Williams wrote:
Quote:
On 2009-08-18 10:23, Joshua Barrett wrote:
I got it. it is very cool. My wife made me do it for her bout 20 times before she gave up. only problem iv had is some people think the phone is using voice recognition.

Chris gives instructions to this incase someone says that, but I have never had anyone say that to me yet...funny, as I wouldn't mind if it was voice recognition!

cool, I have not watched the video, only the written instructions ill view it soon

How to you reset it to view the instructions again? What was written there doesn't seem to work (I don't see the app on the settings menu).
Salby
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1256 Posts

Profile of Salby
Will this work with a Palm Pilot (Palm TX)??

What format is this in??
You know how to make God laugh?........... Tell him your plans!!!
mike storz
View Profile
Inner circle
Orange, CT
1353 Posts

Profile of mike storz
Just ordered it and really like it! Thanks for letting me know. Smile
Josh Chaikin
View Profile
Inner circle
Kansas City
1430 Posts

Profile of Josh Chaikin
Quote:
On 2009-08-18 20:50, Salby wrote:
Will this work with a Palm Pilot (Palm TX)??

What format is this in??

No, it will only work on the iPhone. It's available in the iTunes store, so it's in their proprietary format (M4V I think?).
Douglas Lippert
View Profile
Inner circle
E Pluribus Unum
2343 Posts

Profile of Douglas Lippert
Quote:
I got it. it is very cool. My wife made me do it for her bout 20 times before she gave up. only problem iv had is some people think the phone is using voice recognition.

I had someone ask me in private if it was voice recognition. I said, that's a cool idea, thanks! hahaha..
Douglas Lippert
Former I.B.M. Ring #8 Secretary
silverking
View Profile
Inner circle
4574 Posts

Profile of silverking
This is killer.

Like any trick, the duffers will likely not achieve the full effect, but those who actually take the time to perform this properly will get a lot of milage from it.

Considering how good this is, and the number of iPhone and iPod users out there (who can search for and download this effect directly from their phones or ipods if they find it), I'd not openly use the term "rising card", which will show up on an iTunes search.....but rather use something like "mental choice", or some other pointless term that doesn't contain "card", or "rising", and won't lead the idly curious directly to the effect.

Brilliant work from Kenner, typical of his ability to hit the mark on pretty much everything he releases.
Christopher Williams
View Profile
Inner circle
Portsmouth, UK
4464 Posts

Profile of Christopher Williams
Quote:
On 2009-08-18 20:16, Josh Chaikin wrote:
Quote:
On 2009-08-18 15:46, Joshua Barrett wrote:
Quote:
On 2009-08-18 12:28, Christopher Williams wrote:
Quote:

Chris gives instructions to this incase someone says that, but I have never had anyone say that to me yet...funny, as I wouldn't mind if it was voice recognition!

cool, I have not watched the video, only the written instructions ill view it soon

How to you reset it to view the instructions again? What was written there doesn't seem to work (I don't see the app on the settings menu).

Go into the app itself and hold your finger down on the settings app
www.magicman13.co.uk

Copies of the limited edition 'MindPlay' still available
Jason A
View Profile
New user
49 Posts

Profile of Jason A
Very cool idea .
its good to do with the invisible deck.
wolfmaster
View Profile
New user
50 Posts

Profile of wolfmaster
The method looks very deceptive. I just don't like the "hand" design. Probably it would look better if the designed looked like a deck inside the iphone.
Anyway I might buy this one, iphone magic is practical.
Steven Leung
View Profile
Inner circle
found the Magic Rainbow after
1614 Posts

Profile of Steven Leung
Go get it. The best iPhone app up to this date. Period.

Maybe I should say get anything Chris Kenner wrote, produced, will write and will produce.
Most memorable moment - with Maestro Juan Tamariz & Consuelo Lorgia in FISM Busan 2018.

"Being fooled by a trick doesn't always mean they are having a good time" - Homer Liwag

https://hhpresents.com/
https://www.glitchstudiohk.com/
Douglas Lippert
View Profile
Inner circle
E Pluribus Unum
2343 Posts

Profile of Douglas Lippert
Quote:
On 2009-08-20 00:51, Steven Leung wrote:
Go get it. The best iPhone app up to this date. Period.

Maybe I should say get anything Chris Kenner wrote, produced, will write and will produce.

Good luck getting Superfly if you didn't go to the convention. Smile
Douglas Lippert
Former I.B.M. Ring #8 Secretary
thumbtip
View Profile
Regular user
Simi Valley, California
132 Posts

Profile of thumbtip
Downloaded it today. Very unique...Cool....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=em4uttbIkik
There is the link to view.
"Life is a sexually transmitted, terminal condition" Normal is a setting on a dryer"
teevtee
View Profile
Special user
963 Posts

Profile of teevtee
Yes, great trick, best iPhone magic app by far...

Improvements:

Better graphics and icon... here's why:

The hand graphic is just a sort of poorly lit snap shot of a guys hand holding a deck... bad for a coupe reasons.
1) It's just unattractive
2) It shows the Ace of Spades as the face card. While there is a note given about what to do if this card is selected I would much prefer seeing NO card at the start. It is sort of confusing for people to see a card right off the bat. On top of it they chose to use gimmicky non traditional card designs for the Ace of Spades. It makes it feel faker than it needs to.

Solution:

Forget the whole rising card gimmick, just have a blank screen and the have the choses card fade in. Or show the back f a card and have it flip over and be the chosen card... just make it cleaner.

Better icon:

The icon is of that same Ace of Spades. I hate that it shows a specific card because if that is the chosen card it seems set up or gives away the reveal before the app has even launched. Just use some graphic of a deck of cards or something. Stay away from a specific card for the same reason you should not show a specific card on the face of the pack.

So slight re-designs of the graphic nature of the presentation would help. The actual method, how it works and how easy it is to master are outstanding... best in class.

Oe last improvement... make the card rise higher if you must have the rising analogy to begin with. My preference is to drop the rise and have a different kind of reveal but as is the card barely reveals itself. You need to shale the phone a second time in order to get it to raise high enough to see the majority of the card... why?

Finally... I get the voice recognition idea ALL THE TIME. What I do is specifically keep the phone in my pocket when I ask them to name a card... they have no idea a phone is involved at all. Only then do I pull it out and it is clearly off. I turn it on and because of the method you see my REAL security code screen and my REAL screen saver... then I make sure to tell them NOT to name the card again... so there is no way it could be voice recognition.

I have also done this by forcing a card from a real deck... then revealing it on the phone... you can have it pre set making the presentation even smoother and a card is NEVER named that way.
Bill Lhotta
View Profile
Veteran user
on top of a 14000' mountain in Colorado
357 Posts

Profile of Bill Lhotta
Kudos to Kenner on a great little app! Of course I never expect anything but the best from him.

Here are a couple of other suggestions for improvements that would be super easy to incorporate for the developer and I believe they would improve the overall effect:

I'd rather see a CHSD order on the icons than what is programmed in now. It would be easier to remember and the existing tell tale words could be removed all together. The regular app names for the icons could be used giving it an additional layer of deception.

At the very least have the suit names removed on the page that you scroll to for the spec to start the app because you are going to have some observant specs pick up on this.

These should be very easy to incorporate and hope to see them soon in the next update on the itunes store.

Cheers!

** Bill **
silverking
View Profile
Inner circle
4574 Posts

Profile of silverking
It's $2.99.
teevtee
View Profile
Special user
963 Posts

Profile of teevtee
They could easily program it so that the icons could be dragged to whatever order the user would like them to be in, just as you can actually reorder the real icons on an iphone.
That would allow ultimate customization.

However I see no real problem with having the suit names... no one is studying the thing, if they are you are doing something wrong in the presentation. The effect (as far as they know) has not even begun at that point... they have no reason to question what is a very common and normal looking iphone screen at that point.
Salby
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1256 Posts

Profile of Salby
I'm confused...

Where on the iTunes Website is this app?? I want to download it to my computer and try it out on my Palm Pilot. I believe it will work as it understands mp4 format also.

I just cannot find it on the website. I tried doing a search at that website with a many combinations of the words "Kenner Rising Magic Card", but nothing Smile
teevtee
View Profile
Special user
963 Posts

Profile of teevtee
As far as I know it only works on an iPhone and the iPhone aps store is really (obviously) designed for iPhones, not Palm Pilots or Blackberries or what have you.

It shows up for my by simply searching for rising card.
Salby
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1256 Posts

Profile of Salby
I still cannot find it.

I have changed the format of the videos found in the following iPhone Magic DVD and works fine on my Palm Pilot... I am sure I can alter the format on this if needs to be also.

http://www.mjmmagic.com/store/magic-with......499.html

Any other help on Direction to get the Rising Card effect?
celebrity
View Profile
Inner circle
1966 Posts

Profile of celebrity
To find this you will have to go to the apps store not itunes. It is accessible through itunes though!

However this wont work with the palm pilot as the coding is designed and built into a mimicked iphone interface and would not fit with the palm pilot!
As a mentalist you must always ask yourself what if! And throughout your life you should seek to ask and answer this question over and over again, only then will your wildest dreams become a reality!

Visit - www.mindfx.co.uk to learn more!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » APPealing or APPalling? » » Rising Card - Chris Kenner (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL