The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All in the cards » » Distinguishing your Decks (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
Stiles
View Profile
New user
26 Posts

Profile of Stiles
So right now I carry two decks. A regular deck of blue bikes and a blue invisible deck. At first I took the seal off the regular deck to mark it by feel, but I realized after that a good observer will catch it (when challenged on the invisible deck being regular one of my responses is to toss my regular deck for inspection).

What I have started doing now is taking pencil lead from a mechanical pencil, peeling back the seal, and replacing it with the lead underneath. This lets me tell by touch which deck is regular and it's so insignificant that it is difficult to notice.

I am now thinking of cutting the lead down to make thin discs and using those for a braille like identifier for different decks.

Anyone want to share how they address this issue?
dobber
View Profile
Regular user
163 Posts

Profile of dobber
Your idea certainly is creative but how hard can it be to keep track of two decks?

Are you performing with one deck and then switching to the ID as a finale, suddenly "remembering" one more trick after your performance?

Just curious.
Stiles
View Profile
New user
26 Posts

Profile of Stiles
It's not difficult at all to keep track of the two decks but I still like having the ability to distinguish the two by touch.

Once my skill improves the plan is that I put the deck away after my routine, under protest, and then perform ID as the encore if appropriate. Currently I use the regular deck to practice sleights and the ID to fool my friends. By the time they think to ask "is that a regular deck?" it's already in my pocket and I simply throw my practice deck to them. To date no one has realized they are different decks.
dobber
View Profile
Regular user
163 Posts

Profile of dobber
If I understand your post correctly, ID is the only trick you perform for friends? Is that right?

Just a suggestion, but why not show them a couple of so called "self working" tricks and then switch in the ID for your ending? You will be building up confidence while setting them up for the kill.
magicPhred
View Profile
New user
44 Posts

Profile of magicPhred
I have a few trick decks, decks with gaff cards in them, and one or two that are just set up a certain way. I have a MP deck, Inv Deck, and a Cartoon deck. I also have a deck where the top card is a double backer, a deck set up to do Dream of Aces, a deck set up for Skinner's 3 card monte and a red deck where the top card is blue, in a blue box.

Whew.

I put initials on the bottom of each deck (MP, ID, D of A, etc...) to tell me which is which. No one has ever looked at the box much less commented on the initials. I have been asked why I have so many decks, but I usually say something like, "some people collect comics or spoons, I collect card decks. Look at this blank one for example..." and then I go into my MP routine. Never have an issue after that.
maratekin
View Profile
Regular user
146 Posts

Profile of maratekin
I usually write the name of the effect under the flap of the deck - this hides it from the spectators (and allows me to keep my gaffed decks separated), but it doesn't help your desire to distinguish the deck by feel. One thought I had would be to use a piece of tape across half of the bottom panel of one of the decks - it would be essentially invisible to spectators (particularly if it's a good quality cellophane tape) but would allow you to notice by feel across the bottom panel. This wouldn't be optimal for multi (3+) deck situations, but it should work if you are trying to keep track of just the two decks.

Hope this helps.

Tx -

Mark
Beaulieu
View Profile
New user
57 Posts

Profile of Beaulieu
There are many ways to distinguish between decks! I am a relatively new magician. Having purchased an Invisible Deck, I was pondering this very question! I wanted to seperate my decks by feel and ended up punching small holes in the base of the case. That works if my hands aren't too sweaty. The pencil lead under the seal is pretty smart. I may have to try that out!
"What is wanted is not the will to believe, but the will to find out" ~Bertrand Russell
Doctor REvil
View Profile
Elite user
469 Posts

Profile of Doctor REvil
Why not just put a divider in the pocket?.....one deck one side the other......
Karma means you buy now & pay later.....think I've over spent....!

Check out my ebooks at the lybrary.....

http://www.lybrary.com/david-gemmell-m-13404.html
obsidian52
View Profile
Veteran user
United States
307 Posts

Profile of obsidian52
On occasion I have used and I carry various gaffed decks in my pockets, and although the pencil lead is a good idea, I generally just glue a small button on the bottom of the case, or 2 buttons or 3, whatever the case may be so I can feel them at a moments notice.
BMF
View Profile
Regular user
Saint Louis
132 Posts

Profile of BMF
Quote:
On 2009-08-18 19:38, Stiles wrote:

Once my skill improves the plan is that I put the deck away after my routine, under protest, and then perform ID as the encore if appropriate.

Never save your best stuff for the encore. That applies to anything in life. Never, ever save your strongest performance for an encore; many times you don't even get an encore, and it would be a shame that nobody gets to see you at your zenith.
aktino
View Profile
New user
86 Posts

Profile of aktino
In those instances when I need to keep track of different decks/cases during performance, then I "mark" each case with one or several small blobs of glue. A blob of epoxy glue is transparent and therefore invisible but can easily be felt by the tip of a finger.
rochaz
View Profile
Veteran user
I'm TORN.........
378 Posts

Profile of rochaz
Quote:
On 2009-08-19 09:26, magicPhred wrote:
I have a few trick decks, decks with gaff cards in them, and one or two that are just set up a certain way. I have a MP deck, Inv Deck, and a Cartoon deck. I also have a deck where the top card is a double backer, a deck set up to do Dream of Aces, a deck set up for Skinner's 3 card monte and a red deck where the top card is blue, in a blue box.

Whew.

I put initials on the bottom of each deck (MP, ID, D of A, etc...) to tell me which is which. No one has ever looked at the box much less commented on the initials. I have been asked why I have so many decks, but I usually say something like, "some people collect comics or spoons, I collect card decks. Look at this blank one for example..." and then I go into my MP routine. Never have an issue after that.

That's what works for me!
I keep the decks in one of the compartments in my close up case standing "bottoms up."
That way I can easily spot the deck that I need and just reach in grab it and go!

Respectfully,
Rochaz
- We do not want them to suspend disbelief in the way they would in theater and story. We want them to think critically and observe carefully. Our job is to force them to believe in magic even against their better judgment.”
Whit Hayden

:Juan R Rocha:
andykean
View Profile
Special user
U.K - Now living in New Zealand Auckland
802 Posts

Profile of andykean
I write on the bar code for feke decks only.sven, brain, blank etc
A quick glance and instantly know which deck is which.
Not my idea but I can't remember where I read it!
Regards
Andy
Magiguy
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
5361 Posts

Profile of Magiguy
Michael Weber teaches a VERY cool method, where he prints deck seal stickers and discreetly edits the seal as a means of identifying the deck. I won't go into too much detail (out of respect to Mr. Weber), but I highly recommend that you get out to see his lecture.
Roger Kelly
View Profile
Inner circle
Kent, England
3327 Posts

Profile of Roger Kelly
If you have a pocket big enough for two decks, try keeping them orientated accordingly: One upright and one on its side. Or simply have one in play and 'switch' as you 'remember' one last effect...
asgar
View Profile
Elite user
401 Posts

Profile of asgar
Tear or glue some paper to the ordinary pack.
Magic is believing in yourself, if you can do that, you can make anything happen.
Rennie
View Profile
Inner circle
I think I have about
2042 Posts

Profile of Rennie
Quote:
On 2009-08-22 09:50, Doctor REvil wrote:
Why not just put a divider in the pocket?.....one deck one side the other......

My feelings exactly. It's the K.I.S.S. Principle, Keep It Simple Stupid!!
This thread is getting a simple issue very confusing..
The effect is the important thing, how you achieve it is not.......
tstark
View Profile
Loyal user
Arizona
265 Posts

Profile of tstark
I just read a tip in an old Genii magazine in Dai Vernon's column. It addresses this very issue from an entirely different angle. If you are doing tricks with one deck and wish to work with another for whatever reason (gimmicked, setup, etc) the second deck would look different from the first. Then explain briefly the reason for the difference as a reason to use this second deck. As an example, if you use a bridge deck you would bring out a poker deck and mention that the second deck is what would usually be used at the card table as you show some gambling work. Bring out an older deck and mention that it was in fact the first deck you ever remember working with and you have kept it all this time, or it is part of a collection. You may find more compelling reasons to introduce the second deck but the basic idea is to hide in plain sight. Just an option.
tstark
View Profile
Loyal user
Arizona
265 Posts

Profile of tstark
As an added note, I have decks that are in fact gimmicked antiques in regular boxes (not the trick deck Haines, Enardoe, or Deland boxes) such as Torpedo or Aviator or Lombardy. This makes it childishly simple to ring in a gaffed deck because no one suspects an 80 year old deck, especially if it comes from a regular box.
DN777
View Profile
Veteran user
360 Posts

Profile of DN777
I like to carry around 2 decks as well, one of them is stacked with Richard Osterlind's breakthrough card system. The other deck I use for manipulation (XCM). The XCM deck is contained in a "fast box", where the 2 flaps are removed. The way I tell them apart is simply by flicking the closing flap inside my pocket.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All in the cards » » Distinguishing your Decks (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.2 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL