The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All in the cards » » Distinguishing your Decks (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
11912 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
Quote:
On 2009-08-19 09:26, magicPhred wrote:
I have a few trick decks, decks with gaff cards in them, and one or two that are just set up a certain way. I have a MP deck, Inv Deck, and a Cartoon deck. I also have a deck where the top card is a double backer, a deck set up to do Dream of Aces, a deck set up for Skinner's 3 card monte and a red deck where the top card is blue, in a blue box.

Whew.

I put initials on the bottom of each deck (MP, ID, D of A, etc...) to tell me which is which. No one has ever looked at the box much less commented on the initials. I have been asked why I have so many decks, but I usually say something like, "some people collect comics or spoons, I collect card decks. Look at this blank one for example..." and then I go into my MP routine. Never have an issue after that.


I also use initials, good plan.
Tricky Tom
View Profile
New user
9 Posts

Profile of Tricky Tom
I use two decks also, a regular deck and then Invisible deck. I leave the cellopane wrapper on the Invisible deck, it can be easily felt. Usually I have no problem placing the decks in the pocket and keeping them in "order " but this serves as a back up incase I end up shoving things in my pocket and loosing track of which deck is which. I like the lead under seal and the button or spot of glue idea.
mcharisse
View Profile
Inner circle
York. PA
1214 Posts

Profile of mcharisse
I have a routine with two decks and have a mnemonic device to remember which deck is always kept inside, closest to my body. In this case you might go with the Is Inside+Invisible
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3079 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
Try keeping one deck in your right pocket and one in your left.

Come back in 10 years and tell us how many spectators ever said, "Hey, your cards were in the other pocket!"

And tell us how you responded, and whether it was a problem.

Talk about the K.I.S.S. principle! To this day not a single person has ever noticed that the deck has jumped from my left pocket to my right.

BTW: left is normal, right is gaffed.

I suppose you could do it the other way around, but it would be risky.
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14013 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Quote:
On 2009-08-19 09:26, magicPhred wrote:
I have a few trick decks, decks with gaff cards in them, and one or two that are just set up a certain way. I have a MP deck, Inv Deck, and a Cartoon deck. I also have a deck where the top card is a double backer, a deck set up to do Dream of Aces, a deck set up for Skinner's 3 card monte and a red deck where the top card is blue, in a blue box.

Whew.

I put initials on the bottom of each deck (MP, ID, D of A, etc...) to tell me which is which. No one has ever looked at the box much less commented on the initials. I have been asked why I have so many decks, but I usually say something like, "some people collect comics or spoons, I collect card decks. Look at this blank one for example..." and then I go into my MP routine. Never have an issue after that.


Ahhhhhhhh! But then there is the girlfriend, (or fiance in my case) who is slightly more familiar with your magic props. She said to me very directly "I figure that the reason you have so many card decks is that each one is special for a particular trick."

What could I say? She had me.

Boys. You may fool every body else, it's mighty hard to fool your girlfriend!
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
scottsheltonmagic
View Profile
New user
Raleigh, NC
59 Posts

Profile of scottsheltonmagic
Unless you're handing the card boxes out to the audience, you can put small stickers on the bottom of the card box and label each one of your gimmicked decks.
Damon Zale
View Profile
Regular user
175 Posts

Profile of Damon Zale
I agree with stoneunhinged although someone HAS once noticed that a deck jumped from my left pocket from the right

Daffydoug you can say you have more then 1 deck for tricks like do as I do , some to practice shuffling (those get beat up) etc etc.

I bought a whole case of cards while I was with my girlfriend in Costco and now I just always say "you know my cards are regular they are from Cotco" ...so she doesn't think they are gimmicked Smile
Mr. Mystoffelees
View Profile
Inner circle
I haven't changed anyone's opinion in
3615 Posts

Profile of Mr. Mystoffelees
In addition to inconspicuously marking my card boxes, I use a stick-pin on the sides of the boxes to indicate what they contain. You can not see the small hole, but it is easy to feel...
Also known, when doing rope magic, as "Cordini"
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14013 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Quote:
On 2010-04-18 08:53, dimazales wrote:
I agree with stoneunhinged although someone HAS once noticed that a deck jumped from my left pocket from the right

Daffydoug you can say you have more then 1 deck for tricks like do as I do , some to practice shuffling (those get beat up) etc etc.

I bought a whole case of cards while I was with my girlfriend in Costco and now I just always say "you know my cards are regular they are from Cotco" ...so she doesn't think they are gimmicked Smile


I wish it were so. But my woman has a very sharp mind. She is one of those observant kind of woman who remembers every tiny little detail of every thing in her life and every conversation you have had from years back...she is extremely difficult to fool. Dang near impossible.

When I do fool her with a trick, it's a victory.. Anyway, she wouldn't buy it. Trust me, you have to know her to know what I'm talking about.
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
Failed Magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Still working on the DL even after made
2102 Posts

Profile of Failed Magician
I usually bring two decks only, one gaff or stacked and one normal. Switching could be simply put it down to one pocket and take the normal from another one. Or if you have a quite big pocket, just put the two together.
Magic comes through perception. -HS
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14013 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Another way of distinguishing decks: When at home, I have made paper bands to wrap around each individual deck. Each is clearly marked on front with a black sharpie marker to indicate the effect. Also marked on the sides that way if they are stacked you can still know what's inside at a glance.

Saves a lot of confusion and time.

Of course, obviously when I load my pockets, I remove the bands, at which point it becomes a memory task to remember which pocket contains which deck. Not too bad if you only have one or two decks on your person. Beyond that, it can get a little hairy. But it works great for keeping your decks organized at home. You just have to remember to be careful to replace the bands before you put the decks away.
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
Failed Magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Still working on the DL even after made
2102 Posts

Profile of Failed Magician
I like the idea of creating a little bump or hump on the deck using glue. Invisible and accurate.
Magic comes through perception. -HS
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14013 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
You mean kind of like Braille?
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
Failed Magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Still working on the DL even after made
2102 Posts

Profile of Failed Magician
Something like that. One hump or no hump means regular, then you make your own systems. Two humps means ID, etc, etc.
Magic comes through perception. -HS
nlokers
View Profile
Regular user
Grand Rapids, MI
143 Posts

Profile of nlokers
I've got quite a few, so I cut post it notes into strips and then label each deck, then if I need them I find them, throw them in a little case and then take of the little notes putting them in the same order as the decks so that I can easily see which one is which in the case.
J.Warrens
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
1098 Posts

Profile of J.Warrens
Glue is not needed. Simply take a soft lead pencil and push it down into the case to create your "braille" bumps. The key is to stand the box upright and to make sure that it has a surface underneath it that has a little "give" - like a close-up pad.

That's all there is to it.

Cheers.
Phil J.
View Profile
Elite user
457 Posts

Profile of Phil J.
To distinguish between two decks, in my pocket I stand one deck on end and the other on it's side.
You were born original... Don't die a copy Smile
magicdano
View Profile
Regular user
Danny Habel
145 Posts

Profile of magicdano
When switching out one deck for another, try making a small but similar mark on both boxes. That way you can keep it simple, like one deck in each pocket but still have the spectator notice/see the markings and come to the conclusion it is surely the same deck.
Nicolino
View Profile
Inner circle
2843 Posts

Profile of Nicolino
Quote:
On 2010-09-10 20:25, J.Warrens wrote:
Glue is not needed. Simply take a soft lead pencil and push it down into the case to create your "braille" bumps.

BrilIant! Really brilliant!
When reading page 1 of this thread I was almost going to post the glue idea (which I use myself), but then I found someone already posted it on p2, but your idea is the pinnacle. Thanks for posting!
The Mati Envelope
A brandnew peek device for the working mentalist!

Chance's Token
Tarot cards in a scenic piece of mystery.....
J.Warrens
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
1098 Posts

Profile of J.Warrens
Quote:
On 2011-03-18 10:42, nicolino wrote:
Quote:
On 2010-09-10 20:25, J.Warrens wrote:
Glue is not needed. Simply take a soft lead pencil and push it down into the case to create your "braille" bumps.

BrilIant! Really brilliant!
When reading page 1 of this thread I was almost going to post the glue idea (which I use myself), but then I found someone already posted it on p2, but your idea is the pinnacle. Thanks for posting!


:) Glad to be of help!

Cheers!

J.Warrens
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All in the cards » » Distinguishing your Decks (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL