The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Multiplying Balls (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Loyal R
View Profile
Elite user
Canada
417 Posts

Profile of Loyal R
Hello,

I want to put a Multiplying Balls routine in one of my act. Since I have never done Multiplying Balls and knows almost nothing about them, what are the best?

Thanks
Raphael
Dare to Dream...
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5726 Posts

Profile of Regan
Fakini
Mister Mystery
Stanyon
View Profile
Inner circle
Landrum, S.C. by way of Chicago
3433 Posts

Profile of Stanyon
Quote:
On 2009-08-18 08:10, Regan wrote:
Fakini

'Nuff said!
Stanyon

aka Steve Taylor

"Every move a move!"

"If you've enjoyed my performance half as much as I've enjoyed performing for you, then you've enjoyed it twice as much as me!"
Loyal R
View Profile
Elite user
Canada
417 Posts

Profile of Loyal R
Is it easy to perform? (And yes, yes yes, I know, It still need some practice)

Thanks
Raphael
Dare to Dream...
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Truthfully, no they are not easy to do. You'll have to train your fingers to do what they must. But overall, Fakini's will make your learning time much easier than if you were working with wooden balls, or some other product that doesn't offer the properties that Fakinis do.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Loyal R
View Profile
Elite user
Canada
417 Posts

Profile of Loyal R
Ok Thanks!

Do you think that the Prohands hand exercisers could help to train? If yes, should I use the Via or the Gripmaster? What tension/lb?

Thanks
Raphael
Dare to Dream...
JNeal
View Profile
Inner circle
I used to have 999 posts, now I have
1622 Posts

Profile of JNeal
If you have full size (adult) hands, go to a store that sells replacement cue balls for billiards. Buy a ball either 2 and an eight,h or 2 and a quarter inches in size. Practice palming and rolling it around your fingers as well a moves like the De Biere production. This will strengthen your fingers sufficiently, and make handling the Fakini balls a dream.
visit me @ JNealShow.com
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Quote:
On 2009-08-18 11:36, JNeal wrote:
If you have full size (adult) hands, go to a store that sells replacement cue balls for billiards. Buy a ball either 2 and an eight,h or 2 and a quarter inches in size. Practice palming and rolling it around your fingers as well a moves like the De Biere production. This will strengthen your fingers sufficiently, and make handling the Fakini balls a dream.

What he said. Work with heavier balls. It's like a baseball player using a bat weight or swinging two bats to warm up. But, the essential need is to get your hands and fingers used to the necessary movements, not just stronger. Strength will come with efficient practice.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Loyal R
View Profile
Elite user
Canada
417 Posts

Profile of Loyal R
Quote:
If you have full size (adult) hands

Unfortunatly, I don't have "adult" hands.

Thanks
Dare to Dream...
magicians
View Profile
Inner circle
Teacher and Legend
2898 Posts

Profile of magicians
Quote:
On 2009-08-18 15:09, Loyal R wrote:
Quote:
If you have full size (adult) hands

Unfortunatly, I don't have "adult" hands.

Thanks

Maybe snooker balls, or they also have miniature pool balls. Bumper pool??
Illusionist, Illusionist consulting, product development, stage consultant, seasoned performer for over 35 years. Specializing in original effects. Highly opinionated, usually correct, and not afraid of jealous critics. I've been a puppet, a pirate, a pawn and a King. Free lance gynecologist.
Loyal R
View Profile
Elite user
Canada
417 Posts

Profile of Loyal R
Ok Thanks a lot for your help everyone!
Dare to Dream...
joculari
View Profile
New user
Canada
80 Posts

Profile of joculari
Dream multiplying silicone balls. Cheaper alternative to Fakini and comes with a crash course DVD.

Fakini still comes in number 1 on my list I'm just trying to provide other options Smile
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
After owning a lot of different kinds of Billiard Balls. I really is personal choice. I have owned Fakini, but I do not care for the difficulty to get them from the pocket or cloth dropper. Fakini now makes a special tube dropper for $100, but you have to be pretty skin to wear it.

The German Wood balls are just to slick. The Vernet are so prickly it hurts you finger after a short time, and depending on what you wear, may catch and snag your clothing. They now came out with colored ones, but that does not stop the hurting.

Ireland Multiplying Golf Balls were about the best in its day, but they no longer make sponge like that any longer. The metal shell were a great fit. Nothing last forever and they disintegrate in time.

Loftus / Empire Magic came out with a yellow golf ball set but they are just not up to professional standards.

I would have liked it if Goshman who made some new type of multiplying golf ball would have included a shell just for the sake of it, then I would have liked to try these out. But he did not.

I never got to handle them but I once saw a set of hollow wooden balls from Japan at a magic convention with a dull white finish. They looked like a good alternative. Boy, were they expensive.

I have a set of French studded balls. They are nice but if you ever drop on you will be gluing gems on for a long time. The shell has the gems glued on so the extra with does not satisfy handling easily.

I am sure there are a few more set out there I am not aware of at this time. What you want is a ball that will grip easily and stay between your fingers. A shell that is snug but will release easily, and one that does not make you look like you have a giant hand or one that makes you curve your finger to grip them. Everyone says 2", but I suggest you go with what fits between your finger so you can give the best presentation of you skills.

I have a video of Romaine, and he jams the balls between his short fingers. It does not look good. When he does the finger rolls, you can hardly tell what he is doing because the balls covers his fingers and most of his hand. Self pride is one thing, but giving your audience a good showing is more important to my way of thinking.
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
You made some really good points, Bill. I do see a lot of advice mentioning 2" balls, but if they don't fit your hand easily, then the compromise may be too great. If the audience can't see the balls, maybe the balls aren't too small... maybe the venue is too big.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
7130 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Quote:
On 2009-08-20 11:56, wmhegbli wrote:
(edit)
Ireland Multiplying Golf Balls were about the best in its day, but they no longer make sponge like that any longer. The metal shell were a great fit. Nothing last forever and they disintegrate in time... (edit)

I have an original Ireland set. I've taken good care of them, and just re-coated them with white rubber paint. Beautiful, and they stick to your hands! Bill's right though, without special care (store away from light), the rubber disintegrates over time.

Doug
Fred-Erik Johanson
View Profile
New user
Estonia
89 Posts

Profile of Fred-Erik Johanson
I'm also in a look for a great set of multiplying wood balls. I'm also considering buying Fakini and I thought that maybe first is good to try the difficult, then the little easier ones. Also it would be good to have some balls that I can use with silks and stuff. I have seen some 50 mm balls, but all these has been red. anyone maybe give a link to great white wood multiplying billiard balls.

-Fred
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1053 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
Quote:
On 2009-08-18 08:03, Loyal R wrote:
Hello,

I want to put a Multiplying Balls routine in one of my act. Since I have never done Multiplying Balls and knows almost nothing about them, what are the best?

Thanks
Raphael

What kind of act is it? If you wish to do multiplying balls in an intimate setting, your issues will be somewhat different than if you perform on stage.

John
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
Loyal R
View Profile
Elite user
Canada
417 Posts

Profile of Loyal R
Its an act/routine with dancing canes, silks, coin, cards and a illusion for the finale
Dare to Dream...
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
GEt Geoffrey Buckingham' book on the subject. Also John Booth's marvels of Mystery for a simple but effective routine.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Anatole
View Profile
Inner circle
1912 Posts

Profile of Anatole
In _Routined Manipulation, Part II_, page 94 Lewis Ganson writes "Personally I use light wooden balls, coloured with enamel (not polished), as I find they suit my hands and the enamel gives a little extra 'cling.'" It may be that the finish on wooden balls as they come from the dealer's shelf is too polished.

Treating the hands with a lotion of glycerine and rosewater might also help. (When I first heard this tip when I started magic back in the 60's, my first thought was "Glycerine??? As in nitroglycerine???" But glycerine by itself is used in many health and beauty aids. In a pinch, just running the hands under cold water just before the performance sometimes helps.)

----- Amado "Sonny" Narvaez
----- Sonny Narvaez
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Multiplying Balls (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL