The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Have become farsighted, was nearsighted (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

charliemagic
View Profile
Special user
545 Posts

Profile of charliemagic
I have just had cataracs removed from both eyes & now need reading glasses.
As most of my work is close up & I am out of focus unless I put on the glasses.
My question is .. How do you handle this issue?
I was thinking og asking about bi focals where the top is clear glass & the bottom is prescription.Can not see myself putting glasses on & off when I work the tables.
As I am still in 'recovery' I am scheduled to get a full eye exam in a few weeks.
Going today to get an 'off the rack' set to use temporarly.
Txs
Charlie
davidpaul$
View Profile
Inner circle
Georgetown, South Carolina
3094 Posts

Profile of davidpaul$
How about a contact lens for reading in just one eye. My eye doctor recommended
that to me because I do need glasses to read. By using one contact lens you will still be able to see at a distance as well as close-up.

We all have a dominant eye. There is a simple test to tell which eye it is. When that is determined you just put the contact on that eye. You brain compensates somehow and you can see fine at both distances. I buy the throw away lenses, wear a day and throw them away. Cost me about .40 cents and I only use them when I'm performing. It works great. You might want to explore that route....
Here's lookin at you.
David Paul
Guilt will betray you before technique betrays you!
charliemagic
View Profile
Special user
545 Posts

Profile of charliemagic
David,
Thanks a lot.
I will look into that idea.
Charlie
Bryanpier
View Profile
New user
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
62 Posts

Profile of Bryanpier
If you only have one contact in doesn't that mess with your depth perception?
If pro is opposite of con, then what is opposite of progress?
Scott F. Guinn
View Profile
Inner circle
"Great Scott!" aka "Palms of Putty" & "Poof Daddy G"
6586 Posts

Profile of Scott F. Guinn
I suppose the answer to that depends on the person. I was VERY nearsighted in my right eye. I'd worn glasses since grade school. (My left eye was/is only about 20/40 - 20/60, so not too bad at all.) About 10 years ago, I got lazik surgery on my right eye only. As a result, my right eye is far-sighted, and my left eye is near-sighted. Doctors call this "mono-vision." It took about a month to get used to, but now my right eye is dominant when ssing distance, and my left eye dominant up close. I don't need glasses to see far away, nor for reading. I love it!

I imagine that one contact would be very similar. But if it's anything like my surgery, it definitely takes a bit for the brain to adjust.
"Love God, laugh more, spend more time with the ones you love, play with children, do good to those in need, and eat more ice cream. There is more to life than magic tricks." - Scott F. Guinn
My Lybrary Page
Adam1975
View Profile
Special user
UK
900 Posts

Profile of Adam1975
They can do that lasik eye surgery cheaper now a days by cutting corneas........... Smile
Ive upped my standards.Now,up yours!
davidpaul$
View Profile
Inner circle
Georgetown, South Carolina
3094 Posts

Profile of davidpaul$
Quote:
On 2009-08-19 05:10, Adam1975 wrote:
They can do that lasik eye surgery cheaper now a days by cutting corneas........... Smile

Good one !!

Scott is right, depending on the person it may take some time for your brain/eye
coordination to adjust but it does work. In my case it only took a few hours. The body is amazing in how it compensates. People that are blind have much more acuteness and sensitivity to our other senses. People who do not have that malady will never experience other heightened developed sensitivity.
Guilt will betray you before technique betrays you!
Adam1975
View Profile
Special user
UK
900 Posts

Profile of Adam1975
Quote:
On 2009-08-19 10:58, davidpaul$ wrote:
Quote:
On 2009-08-19 05:10, Adam1975 wrote:

Good one !!

Scott is right, depending on the person it may take some time for your brain/eye
coordination to adjust but it does work. In my case it only took a few hours. The body is amazing in how it compensates. People that are blind have much more acuteness and sensitivity to our other senses. People who do not have that malady will never experience other heightened developed sensitivity.

Cheers....
I wouldnt want to make a spectacle of myself would I Smile
Ive upped my standards.Now,up yours!
Irfaan Kahan
View Profile
Veteran user
346 Posts

Profile of Irfaan Kahan
I'm shortsighted. What can they give me for that?
I'm a Magician playing the part of an Actor
charliemagic
View Profile
Special user
545 Posts

Profile of charliemagic
Just wants to say thanks to everyone all the info.
I will discuss with my Dr.
Charlie
charliemagic
View Profile
Special user
545 Posts

Profile of charliemagic
Oh..just wanted to add that when I had one eye done I was wearing my glasses with one lense..I was able to see both far & near..So what everyone is saying about eyes compensating is true based on my experience.
Txs again,
Charlie
Scott F. Guinn
View Profile
Inner circle
"Great Scott!" aka "Palms of Putty" & "Poof Daddy G"
6586 Posts

Profile of Scott F. Guinn
Quote:
On 2009-08-20 10:07, Irfaan Kahan wrote:
I'm shortsighted. What can they give me for that?

Experience.
"Love God, laugh more, spend more time with the ones you love, play with children, do good to those in need, and eat more ice cream. There is more to life than magic tricks." - Scott F. Guinn
My Lybrary Page
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Have become farsighted, was nearsighted (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL