The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Jay mattioli on AGT (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
Sam Sandler
View Profile
Inner circle
2487 Posts

Profile of Sam Sandler
Ok so my good friend jay gets caled back for a 2nd chance and they trash him in front of millions!

first off the 3 judges are either morons or being told to act like morons. all 3 say the same thing we have seen this before there fore you are not good enough to be here. they view seeing one silk trick or one box trick as they have seen them all.

what they do not realize or not admitting is that magic is unlike almost anything else. you have all heard some one sing the same song but with their own personality. why is it with magic if you do a similar or even same trick but with your routining and style its not good enough.

what are your thoughts why do you think they did this to him.

they did make one comment that I thought was interesting and that was they wanted to see soemthing differnt and that takes money. although I thought jay did a great job routining the magic however they do not understand magic obviously. but they are ok with watching 30 some singers but 2 magicians is just to many I guess.

oh one last thing I will admit that soem of what he did has been around for a while and the point jay was trying to make is that he made it fun. for petes sakes though all the top guys are using a blammo and silks in their shows.

just venting I guess

sam
sam sandler- America's only full-time DEAF Illusionist
http://www.samsandler.com
http://www.deafinitelymagic.com
Magical Dimensions
View Profile
Inner circle
5001 Posts

Profile of Magical Dimensions
Sorry Sam,
I have to disagree with you. At first I thought that it was going to ROCK because of the double appearance frame, then all of a sudden it went in another direction. It started strong but the rest of the act was just a normal act that wasn’t up to par for a high-end venue.

I liked the guy and respect him but I couldn’t believed my eyes when I seen him doing 20 century silks for a chance of being a Las Vegas headliner.

I have to agree with the judges on this one.

Ray
Christopher Lyle
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas, Texas
5698 Posts

Profile of Christopher Lyle
I agree with Ray here!

Let me say...I'm one of Jay's BIGGEST FANS and I hope he somehow makes it thru to the next round.

however...

I was very disappointed in the routine tonight. He comes out with a BANG! and then took a dive. EVERYTHING he did was very "amateur" hour. My wife and I watched it and my wife commented when he pulled out the silks "is he doing 20th Century Silks?"

For my WIFE to be able to call it by name should say something about the magic choice....

The good news about the act is that Jay looked REALLY GREAT, had awesome music, and had a ton of energy on stage. He just made a bad call on the act. I would have loved to have seen his Dove Act. Perhaps he was saving it for the finals. I hope he makes it. He got our votes! We called in...did anyone else?
In Mystery,

Christopher Lyle
Magician, Comic, Daredevil, and Balloon Twisting Genius
For a Good Time...CLICK HERE!
Dirko
View Profile
Loyal user
Michigan
287 Posts

Profile of Dirko
I thought he didn't make it to Vegas?
Christopher Lyle
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas, Texas
5698 Posts

He did make it to Vegas...but was sent home immediately after getting off the plane in an unexpected "TWIST" of events.

Simon Cowell decided to implement a Wild Card this year...each week, they are bringing back TWO WILD CARDS. Jay was one of two Wild Cards this year who got a 2nd chance.

I hope, tho' his act was quite weak tonight, that he does go on to the finals. It would be great for Magic to have 2 talented people competeting.

We'll see what happens...
In Mystery,

Christopher Lyle
Terry Owens
View Profile
Inner circle
Ft. Wayne, Indiana
1707 Posts

Profile of Terry Owens
My thoughts are along the same line of Ray and Christophers...but my wife, who is a lay person when it comes to magic, really, really enjoyed the performance...and that's who Jay's trying to reach.

I knew before Jay ever came out on stage that he would get buzzed...I just had a feeling about it, so I wasn't surprised...but he had great energy and great music and was fun to watch. I could see that as a segment in a show.
1906Alpha1906
View Profile
Special user
North Cacky Lack
516 Posts

Profile of 1906Alpha1906
I think Jay did a great job. I don't think the issue was him, as opposed to what has already been done by Drew Thomas. When you have both to look at, and then Jay gets the silk thing going - I think it softened the tone suddenly. While it was good, it was unfortunate that the judges were already comparing it to what they had seen by Drew. Notice the buzzer didn't go off until after the opening with the appearance. He started off with a BOOM and the judges were excited to see that Grand Illusion since Drew had being doing that from the start, and then the silks kind of muffled everything. I think the judges were unfairly comparing his performance to Drew's which is most likely the case. The good news is, its 'apparently' not up to them anyways.

Jay- you did a great job regardless!! All America has seen ya now, so the phone will start ringing off the hook! Good Luck!
Christopher Lyle
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas, Texas
5698 Posts

Quote:
On 2009-08-19 08:07, 1906Alpha1906 wrote:
I think Jay did a great job. I don't think the issue was him, as opposed to what has already been done by Drew Thomas. When you have both to look at, and then Jay gets the silk thing going - I think it softened the tone suddenly. While it was good, it was unfortunate that the judges were already comparing it to what they had seen by Drew. Notice the buzzer didn't go off until after the opening with the appearance. He started off with a BOOM and the judges were excited to see that Grand Illusion since Drew had being doing that from the start, and then the silks kind of muffled everything. I think the judges were unfairly comparing his performance to Drew's which is most likely the case. The good news is, its 'apparently' not up to them anyways.

Jay- you did a great job regardless!! All America has seen ya now, so the phone will start ringing off the hook! Good Luck!

I agree! As I said above...I really like Jay and am a big fan of his. I too could see that routine as a filler segment in a larger scale show. Much like SLO MO Duck in DCs show...kinda a filler spot to get from one larger piece to another.

I too think Jay's phone will be ringing off the hook very soon! He's a great performer with a modern day edge about him. But I still hope he goes thru.
In Mystery,

Christopher Lyle
ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3997 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
Jay's disadvantage was that on AGT he's performing for folks who have, indeed, seen almost everything that he is doing "a million times". His act would probably draw large crowds of "normal" regularly, because he does have that energy and entertainment value that 99.999 percent of the magic audiences are looking for.

From a magician's point of view, he put enough twists into his performance that I really enjoyed watching it.

LOVED his first appearance illusion!
Things are more like they are today than they've ever been before...
Sam Sandler
View Profile
Inner circle
2487 Posts

Profile of Sam Sandler
Ok all good comments.

As I mentioned yes I agree I was a bit surprised at the choice of doing 20th silk bit but I was looking at it from the stand point of entertaining the audience that is what he did.

to be honest asnd as jay pointed out he does not have a million dollars to buy all the "new" stuff he is taking what he owns and putting his twist to them.

personally I was hoping he would do his sands routine as it has not been done on there before but then again the judges problably would have said that their nephew has the same sand from toys r us.

lets try to keep him in there as I know he has more up his sleeve.

sam
Christopher Starr
View Profile
Inner circle
Heart of America
1850 Posts

Profile of Christopher Starr
Here's a video of that performance with judges comments:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzkvRw6CKcQ

Based off of what the panel said, they seem to have defined a magician as an illusionist.

The problem with every potential magician contestant is that they are going to have to have a large show to begin with. Say that Lance Burton went on with his killer dove act that brought him to fame. He would have blown the judges away, and have been pushed to the finals. But in the beginning, that is all that Lance had - a great dove act. Lance would not have "gone all the way" to win the competition, as he wouldn't have had the additional material to do so. This show requires a magical contestant to be able to go in with several sensational routines up front - something that very few of them are capable of doing.

We have to face the fact that we have many, many great magicians with a show stopping 9-11 minute act. However, that's all that they have. It may be enough to play revue shows, win FISM, etc., but it's not enough to win this fabricated TV talent show.

My 2¢

Chris
Sam Sandler
View Profile
Inner circle
2487 Posts

Profile of Sam Sandler
Very well said chris
Kent Wong
View Profile
Inner circle
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
2458 Posts

Profile of Kent Wong
I think the key question is whether that act could actually hold its own in Las Vegas, where there are so many magic shows already. Unfortunately, the judges expected more than a silk to appearing cane and a blammo box. When Jay produced the two girls at the beginning, the pace and energy had a lot of promise. I was hoping he would have integrated his assistants much more into the rest of the act. This would have allowed the act to play much larger, while at the same time injecting greater visual variety.

But, then again, who am I to judge? Jay was the one who made it past auditions; he was the one who made it to Vegas; and he was the one who won a "Wild Card" callback. That's HUGE!! Regardless of the outcome, Jay deserves a massive pat on the back for a job well done.

Kent
"Believing is Seeing"
<BR>______________________
<BR>
<BR>www.kentwongmagic.com
Bairefoot
View Profile
Inner circle
1097 Posts

Profile of Bairefoot
People always say that they want to see something new. First of all if its really new they might now even understand what's happening. Also if some produced toilet plungers what would they say then. Then produce s---t now that might be orginal. People want to see vanish,appearace, floating basically or excuse me these judges go buy these and try out. The point is the magicians normally don't have enough material to win. Magicians love these other magicians because they wish they had or wish they could do what they do. In the real world we are mostly just lumped together. For example who out there is lumped with Copperfield, Blaine, and Angel.

Bairefoot
gulamerian
View Profile
Special user
581 Posts

Profile of gulamerian
I think the key thing is from the very beginning they have said they are looking for the next Siegfried and Roy. None of the acts fit that requirement. Until someone comes along with something totally unique they will not win.
Christopher Lyle
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas, Texas
5698 Posts

On Brittian's Got Talent...I have heard Simon Cowell tell other Magician performers who go on with something OTHER than Grand Illusion that "to go on a show of this caliber they want something BIG! They're looking for another David Copperfield."

It's that reason that I have never auditioned for the show. I have been contacted now by phone and email to get a walk on audition for the last 3 years and I have turned down the opportunity each and every time.

I'm a Parlor/Cabaret Magician and I also do a lot of Strolling and Restaurant work. My magic packs small and plays big...but they don't want that on this show. Well...let me rephrase. They DO WANT THAT so they can buzz people off and make them look like an ass!

Charlie Caper just won Sweden's Got Talent (AWESOME!) with very small routines. I loved that! I think the show over there isn't a BIG as it is over here. I don't know if Simon Cowell has anything to do with that show or not...

But over here...Parlor Magic on the show just ain't gonna jazz them up...regardless of how good they are.
In Mystery,

Christopher Lyle
Ray Pierce
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
2604 Posts

Profile of Ray Pierce
Jay looked great and had contemporary dance moves and music but as always ... the problem was the underlying structure.

Did the act build towards a climax? Not at all. He made a big production opener that looked very nice but was a very generic effect... and then followed it in an ever decreasing visual scale. Plan your climax first, then let everything else build towards that. If you're going to spend the money on anything... make it count.

All of the elements that he spent money on were mostly "dressing", which is fine if you've got a really solid core. I love the 20th century silks... I have 3 versions of it that are very clever but it has no place on that show.

There was an act in the early audition rounds that was very funny... he was dressed as a rock and roll act with rock music, the leather pants and everything... then he started doing silks and stock effects that looked TOTALLY out of place with his character. To see this big guy prancing around like Mick Jagger doing silks was laughable. Adding original music to old effects doesn't make the effect (to the audience) original.

I was expecting great things out of Jay based on what people have said about his originality and knowledge. Those might be strong talents of his but the structure and understanding of producing an act sadly didn't come through in this effort.
Ray Pierce
Andrew
View Profile
Loyal user
285 Posts

Profile of Andrew
Well, this is going to sound lame, but here it is anyway.
I agree with just about everything that’s been said here. I too expected more than a Silk To Cane or Twentieth Century Silks...BUT, to hear the judges pronounce their disappointment in terms of “We’ve seen that a million times…” speaks to their ignorance more than to any lack of talent from Jay.
After all, hasn’t everything seen so far by these judges been done “a million times” before?

Mac King has one of the best magic shows in Vegas, but would he get past these judges with his act? I rather doubt it. I’ve developed a dollar bill to orange routine that is pretty original and always gets a tremendous response. It’s amazing and entertaining. I’ve fantasized about a way that it could be packaged to impress the judges on AGT and I keep coming back to the same conclusion; I would be buzzed off before the act could get off the ground. (UNLESS perhaps, I changed a tiger into a half-naked lady in whose mouth was an orange that was cut open to reveal the previously borrowed bill!)

As Christopher Lyle has said, his style of magic, regardless of the fact that is VERY entertaining, is just not what these judges want…or have been told to accept.
The fact is, I enjoyed both of Jay’s acts. His energy made them entertaining.
Ah! If only the judges on AGT could have the insightful skills of the judges on SGT, they could detect talent like that displayed by Charlie Caper and Jay Mattioli!
Andrew
Professional Provider of Wonderment!
www.andrewsfamilymagic.com
michaelmystic2003
View Profile
Inner circle
3062 Posts

Profile of michaelmystic2003
The judges, ESPECIALLY THAT %$^^&$# Piers, know nothing about magic. I personally liked Jay's take on the 20th Centure Silks.

I swear, if I was ever to go on AGT (which I wouldn't) I would tell Piers off the moment he starts trash-talking.
Learn more about my upcoming book of close up magic and theory SYNTHESIS & SECRETS: A Magic Book in Four Acts: https://www.michaelkrasworks.com/synthesis-secrets
Bairefoot
View Profile
Inner circle
1097 Posts

Profile of Bairefoot
Did you hear Osborne say, "Oh no not the stick" or something like that. I guess we magicians only call it a cane.

Bairefoot
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Jay mattioli on AGT (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL