We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Learn from the masteR??? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

WazMeister
View Profile
Loyal user
231 Posts

Profile of WazMeister
Learn from the originator!

I'm a fan of Bill Malone after getting his "Bill On The loose: Vol 3". Some of the best acts, tricks and routines I've seen so far (Not seen many though being honest).

Watchiung this DVd he mentions marlo alot, he also has a Malone meets Marlo dvd set, I get the hint he thinkgs Marlo is/was a great magician.

My question is, a lot of his tricks are taken from Marlo. Should I stem back to the originator and find books/dvds from marlo to learn or learn through the eyes (bill) of someohe who learnt from the master (marlo).

I have that thinking of "Why learn from the trainee, when I can learn from the teacher?"

Who was Marlo anyway?

;)

Also if I was to learn (which I am) Bill Malones ambitous card routine and various other tricks from his dvd but have my own act/patter is this classed as ok?
Or am I just being a copy cat and nicking someone elses tricks?

So if I did my ambitous routine, would I expect someone to one day say "hey, you stole that from Bill Malone!"

Waz
Beaulieu
View Profile
New user
57 Posts

Profile of Beaulieu
Many students will take what they have learned from their teachers and expand upon it. It never hurts to check out something new, but it may not always be all it's cracked up to be (Especially if the person you first heard of has done great things by expanding upon what THEY learned from their teacher). I don't know about Marlo though, so I can't comment.

When you perform tricks, you don't have to tell the audience where you learned it. In fact, that would be a BAD thing (giving away secrets and all)! If someone says, "Hey, you stole that from Bill Malone." give credit where credit is due. Doing "original" magic is very very hard to do. You will almost always be using something that someone has done somewhere. Be honest with where you learned things if you're called on it, but don't worry too much about it.

And, being as I am very new to magic... feel free to disregard what I have said if someone else says something better.

Thanks,
Ben
"What is wanted is not the will to believe, but the will to find out" ~Bertrand Russell
jcards01
View Profile
Inner circle
Waterloo, IL
1438 Posts

Profile of jcards01
Marlo's stuff may be very hard to find, nothing wrong from learning from Bill. He is very accomplished. Bill is for the most part showing Marlo's routines and giving any insight for what Bill has added and why.
Jimmy 'Cards' Molinari
www.jimmycards.com
DomKabala
View Profile
Inner circle
I've grown old after diggin' holes for
2827 Posts

Profile of DomKabala
Quote:
On 2009-08-19 08:26, WazMeister wrote:

Who was Marlo anyway?

http://randywakemanmagic.com/bio.html

Edward Marlo was one of the most influential sleight of hand artists with cards in the last 100 years...he coined the term "Cardician" and many were fortunate to be "touched" by his tutelage.

Cardamagically,
DOM Smile Smile
We don't stop playing when we grow old...we grow old when we stop playing.

God is enough, let go, let God. Gal 2:20

"Anything of value is not easily attained and those things which are easily attained are not of lasting value."

Smile Smile Smile Smile
Irfaan Kahan
View Profile
Veteran user
346 Posts

Profile of Irfaan Kahan
Ed Marlo and Bill Malone were "session buddies" for a long time. Card magic was revolutionized by people like Dai Vernon, Harry Lorayne, Paul Harris, and Ed Marlo.

You would do well to learn from Bill Malone. You would also do well to learn from Dai Vernon. As far as the spectators are concerned, there's no such thing as an old or new trick (Unless you cut some in half, maybe!). Often, too, the older effects are better than the newer versions or new effects altogether.

The point being, old or new, Malone or Marlo, there's a wealth of information out there for the student. Information is powerful, seek it out and prosper.

Good luck.
I'm a Magician playing the part of an Actor
WazMeister
View Profile
Loyal user
231 Posts

Profile of WazMeister
Awesome replies guys, Thanks!

Any suggestions on books or dvds from Marlo I could get? Any good UK shops that may sell them?

I tend to learn better from watching rather than reading though, suppose Marlo never did a dvd or video.
Irfaan Kahan
View Profile
Veteran user
346 Posts

Profile of Irfaan Kahan
Google "Revolutionary Card Technique" (book) - or contact the major suppliers and ask them directly for it.
I'm a Magician playing the part of an Actor
Stanyon
View Profile
Inner circle
Landrum, S.C. by way of Chicago
3412 Posts

Profile of Stanyon
Quote:
On 2009-08-20 07:21, WazMeister wrote:
Any suggestions on books or dvds from Marlo I could get? Any good UK shops that may sell them?

I tend to learn better from watching rather than reading though, suppose Marlo never did a dvd or video.

http://www.randywakemanmagic.com

Randy has some worthwhile Marlo goods. Randy was a member of the sessions group that met with Ed. (So was I!)

Randy's a great guy to do business with.
Stanyon

aka Steve Taylor

"Every move a move!"

"If you've enjoyed my performance half as much as I've enjoyed performing for you, then you've enjoyed it twice as much as me!"
jcards01
View Profile
Inner circle
Waterloo, IL
1438 Posts

Profile of jcards01
Just for kicks, visit my website sometime and follow the Marlo link. There is a page where you can list books by Ed, books by other authors that contain Marlo material, and magazines that Ed contributed articles to.
Jimmy 'Cards' Molinari
www.jimmycards.com
wingz
View Profile
Regular user
155 Posts

Profile of wingz
There are some DVDs out there if you prefer watching then reading.

Here are some examples (not a complete list):

The Legendary Cardician Combo Featuring Edward Marlo (2 DVD's)

Ed Marlo: It's All In The Cards DVD

Ed Marlo: A Private Session DVD (series)
jcards01
View Profile
Inner circle
Waterloo, IL
1438 Posts

Profile of jcards01
The "All in The Cards" DVD (a 2 DVD set) is put out by Dave Solomon and is a good buy. There is also a "Prime Time Marlo" put out by Jon Racherbaumer that is excellent with a younger Ed performing. There are also a handful of DVD's that Randy put that have some good material.
Jimmy 'Cards' Molinari
www.jimmycards.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Learn from the masteR??? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.24 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL