The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Johnson precision magic's 'the mint' (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Calvin826
View Profile
Elite user
418 Posts

Profile of Calvin826
Hello there.

Can anyone tell me about Johnson's 'The Mint'?

http://johnsonmagicproducts.com/shop/ind......s_id=102

Is there a demo of it anywhere? How clean looking is the routine?

Thanks for your help.
Eric Jones
View Profile
V.I.P.
Director of Product Development
2101 Posts

Profile of Eric Jones
I used to love performing this trick. Theres also a great version of this trick in plastic with different color gems that I used to use as a lead in to Hot Rod.

The Mint Looks like this. you start off w/ a cube of silver. You roll the cube between your hands and it smooths out and changes into a ball of silver. You then smash your hand against the al and it flattens out into a disc. You then squeeze it and it changes into a coin.
“We're two tigers away from an act in Vegas.” Greg House M.D.
<BR>
<BR>http://www.ericjonesmagic.com
lithyem
View Profile
Veteran user
San Diego, CA
311 Posts

Profile of lithyem
This is one of my favorite effects. I don't practice it too much lately but whenever I do I have a good time. When handled smoothly it can be one of the most magical effects you've seen. To me its what magic should look and feel like. If anything its one of the more inexpensive and worthwhile purchases you can make. It gives you a huge playground of creative routining to work in and if you're lover of silky sleight of hand, it will be a real learning experience in practice.

Michael
TC Ryder
View Profile
Elite user
Florida
486 Posts

Profile of TC Ryder
It is made really nicely and very visual. If you are good at switches you can do this. If you have a Topit you can end very cleanly.

TC
www.realcoinmagic.com

"Real Coins for Real Magicians"
pabloinus
View Profile
Inner circle
1544 Posts

Profile of pabloinus
Do you need many sleights to make the changes from one shape to the other? TC and Michael mentioned switches and silky sleights, Do you guys feel this is for a beginner, or for a more skilled person

Thank you

Pablo
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
6680 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Pablo...this is pure sleight of hand. You want your best sleight skills with this.

A simple Bobo Vanish works, but it is good to know the Shuttle Pass, Utility Switch, and other coin sleights just to have the immediate chops. There are shortcuts, but I don't recommend them.

A beginner COULD do this with the required practice. This, however, is a challenge to the coin magic experts. A person with good l***ing skills could do this at a table, or, standing (providing you know a good ditch), but this is an effect with which to do your best!

And the effect that started this one? Gem Busters!

You start with a clear plastic cube with a different color gem on each side, roll it into a ball, and slap it on the table, ending in a disc with the gems all around it. Love it!

Doug
pabloinus
View Profile
Inner circle
1544 Posts

Profile of pabloinus
Thank you Doug, I will pass on this one.

Pablo
TC Ryder
View Profile
Elite user
Florida
486 Posts

Profile of TC Ryder
Yes Gem busters, I couldn't remember the name of that trick. Thanks for reminding Dougini. I was thinking about that trick when I saw this post.

TC
www.realcoinmagic.com

hpcman
View Profile
New user
NYC
94 Posts

Profile of hpcman
Yes a beginner can do this trick. There is a lot of pocket management that will be needed to work out the trick. The product comes with a gimmick to make the cube into the ball. But a purse palm, finger palm and shuttle pass are all necessary. Please never discourage a “beginner” from something. The more they work the better they will be. The product is worth your purchase.

Ben
joseph
View Profile
Eternal Order
Please ignore my
16957 Posts

Profile of joseph
I've wanted this for a long time, and it is still on my list..I agree it
must be fun practicing this one...
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Einstein)...
hpcman
View Profile
New user
NYC
94 Posts

Profile of hpcman
Generally, the effect is a very long lead into a coin routine rather then a stand alone piece. This could be a nice change from the standard four coin productions used.

Ben
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
6680 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Quote:
On 2009-08-22 22:45, hpcman wrote:
...(snip)...The product comes with a gimmick to make the cube into the ball. But a purse palm, finger palm and shuttle pass are all necessary...(snip)...The product is worth your purchase.

Ben

I trashed the square with the hole in it and tiny ball, and replaced it with a larger chrome ball bearing. It's easy just to do a Bobo Switch, and either Lap (sitting), or, as you said, use pocket management or a topit.

I was just messing around with Gembusters the other day. What a neat little plexi wand that comes with that!

Doug
Douglas.M
View Profile
Elite user
435 Posts

Profile of Douglas.M
I like Chad Long's take on this effect. He uses a candy cane that gets rolled into a candy mint ball and then smashed flat. Objects everyone knows from Christmas or the candy store.
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
6680 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Chad Long is GREAT! His three coins across routine on Youtube is phenomenal!

Doug
vpatanio
View Profile
Special user
515 Posts

Profile of vpatanio
I found this while browsing the Theory 11 media.

http://media.theory11.com/2245-theMINT

Vinny
BRodgers
View Profile
Special user
543 Posts

Profile of BRodgers
Vinny,

Thanks for posting my video. The Mint really is a great effect when performed properly.

Here is a larger higher res. version of the video: http://www.thementalplayground.com/mint.html
Creator of The Phantom Band 360
TC Ryder
View Profile
Elite user
Florida
486 Posts

Profile of TC Ryder
Nice routine. I may have to pull mine out again and play with it.

Cheers!!

TC
www.realcoinmagic.com

Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
6680 Posts

Profile of Dougini
BRodgers, that is the best work I've seen so far on The Mint! Ha! I LOVE to be fooled!

Doug
dooblehorn
View Profile
Inner circle
Pittsburg, CA
1656 Posts

Profile of dooblehorn
Yah, gem busters was one of my first tricks as a kid...it looks really amazing if you put a bit of practice in...
krintz
View Profile
Regular user
135 Posts

Profile of krintz
Anyone have a used set they want to unload? PM me.
Mods, apologies if this should be in the for sale section...
Krintz
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Johnson precision magic's 'the mint' (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL