We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Derren going against his advice? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Jonathan
View Profile
Inner circle
Oklahoma
1223 Posts

Profile of Jonathan
I was shocked to see this video. In his book Absolute Magic, doesn't he come down on performers who make cheap jokes about those in the "cheap seats"? I think he even gave an example pretty close to the exact joke he makes here. And he says one of the audience members looks like a tramp (or something like that). Surprising!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xGWIcWJmtHQ&feature=related
Nathan Pain
View Profile
Inner circle
iowa
2822 Posts

Profile of Nathan Pain
I didn't click n the video but it could be attributed to his British sense of humor...

Nathan
AnDraíodóir
View Profile
New user
Ireland
89 Posts

Profile of AnDraíodóir
As well as what Nathan has said, it probably has a lot to do with the setting and context. It's a charity event so it's a much more laid back situation, with people that aren't necessarily paying, or in this case donating money, to see him. You have a fair point though, however, I think Derren's delivery and charisma lets him get away with it and it wasn't necessarily in bad taste.
Philip Ryan

"The more I learn, the more I learn how little I know" -Socrates
Matthew Townsend
View Profile
Inner circle
1302 Posts

Profile of Matthew Townsend
Coor blimey Guv'nah!

People often say one thing and do the other, just look at polititians.

Maybe he changed his mind, maybe he doesn't really care. At the end of the day, the audience laughed at the joke so it payed off.

Pip pip, what, what my good man!

Jolly good!

Peace & Love

M
muse
View Profile
Special user
Scotland
926 Posts

Profile of muse
And there's plenty of scope for getting into trouble with a British sense of humour, believe me
Ross
View Profile
Elite user
Bristol
466 Posts

Profile of Ross
There is also a distinction to be made between aiming jokes at people in a close up environment (or up on stage) with directing them at an audience member that can't be seen. I think the 'tramp' joke was done with taste, and it was funny.

That said, I remember Derren asking a lady if she was bullied at school, when she was on stage, and I found that a bit mean, and unusual for him too.
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
12357 Posts

Profile of John C
Quote:
On 2009-08-20 07:13, Jonathan wrote:
I was shocked to see this video. In his book Absolute Magic, doesn't he come down on performers who make cheap jokes about those in the "cheap seats"? I think he even gave an example pretty close to the exact joke he makes here. And he says one of the audience members looks like a tramp (or something like that). Surprising!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xGWIcWJmtHQ&feature=related

It's all context and environment. You have to be able to sense when the time is right.

j
The ULTIMATE Routine Series: rebirth soon!
Jon_Thompson
View Profile
Inner circle
Darkest Cheshire
2404 Posts

Profile of Jon_Thompson
I really can't really see why anyone would get upset about this. The only thing you can expect of a joke is that it's funny.
parmenion
View Profile
Inner circle
Switzerland/Zürich
3992 Posts

Profile of parmenion
Exactly Smile

Anyway, Johnathan don't take all say Derren to first degree !
The first rule in show biz is "there are not rules"
It's remenber me a man who told to me just before a show :"
What ! you don't wear a tie, but you have to , you haven't read the David Stone's book ?! he wrote you must have a tie to work !"
In reality Stone almost never wear a tie when he works...
So, don't mix-up what he has wrote and what he does Smile
“I love talking about nothing. It is the only thing I know anything about.”
<BR>Oscar Wilde experimentaliste <br>
<BR>Artist pickpocket Professional
<BR>
<BR>Looking for the best book test in French? send me a PM!
FairieSnuff
View Profile
Regular user
157 Posts

Profile of FairieSnuff
To be fair he was performing at a "comedy" show .. as in people were expecting humour far more than magic.... I guess he just filled the role he would have been expected to play?..
Kevin Cook
View Profile
Elite user
431 Posts

Profile of Kevin Cook
Although Derren wrote Absolute Magic he has never actually taken the time to sit down and read it. Which is a shame. There are many good ideas within its pages, many of which Derren could learn and grow from.
Jonathan
View Profile
Inner circle
Oklahoma
1223 Posts

Profile of Jonathan
Actually, to answer my own question, I would imagine those people in the audience paid quite a lot for those tickets so they wouldn't be poor and thus the line wouldn't be in poor taste.

I watched "the gathering" recently for the first time and he had an easy shot with the woman saying "africa" when asked to choose a country. He could have nailed her for a laugh, but didn't. So, he knows when not to (not sure I could have restrained myself).
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
17687 Posts

Profile of Slim King
Quote:
On 2009-08-20 12:30, Jonathan wrote:
Actually, to answer my own question, I would imagine those people in the audience paid quite a lot for those tickets so they wouldn't be poor and thus the line wouldn't be in poor taste.

I watched "the gathering" recently for the first time and he had an easy shot with the woman saying "africa" when asked to choose a country. He could have nailed her for a laugh, but didn't. So, he knows when not to (not sure I could have restrained myself).

By jove .. I think you've got it !!!!
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
Jon_Thompson
View Profile
Inner circle
Darkest Cheshire
2404 Posts

Profile of Jon_Thompson
I think Brown's funniest line was "Out poud, please. I'm not a f*****g mind reader!" Smile
eSamuels
View Profile
Inner circle
3097 Posts

Profile of eSamuels
Quote:
On 2009-08-20 12:30, Jonathan wrote:

I recall that. My first thought was "she doesn't look like Sarah Palin!"

I concur with what's been said; he has developed a sharper tongue/wit (in performance), in recent years. I think it's great, as his use of cutting lines is quite selective and, as a result has the added element of surprise. I wonder how much of this is the Nyman influence?
pearljamjeff
View Profile
Inner circle
Ann Arbor
1245 Posts

Profile of pearljamjeff
His previous advice about not "making fun" or insulting the audience seems to be much more influenced by Andy's line of thought in this area. Now-a-days I think Derren feels more free to be himself.
Jeff Travilla - I own an advertising agency to help finance my magic addiction.
Dick Christian
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Virginia (Metro DC)
2620 Posts

Profile of Dick Christian
One can safely get away with saying and/or doing all sorts of things that lacking the situation, venue, audience and context as well as inflection, facial expression and gesture -- all of which reflect attitude and are impossible to properly portray via the written word -- would be inappropriate in other situations.
Dick Christian
Jon_Thompson
View Profile
Inner circle
Darkest Cheshire
2404 Posts

Profile of Jon_Thompson
Quote:
On 2009-08-20 12:57, Jon_Thompson wrote:
I think Brown's funniest line was "Out poud, please. I'm not a f*****g mind reader!" Smile

Oh flipping heck! That should be "loud", not "poud" as eny fule kno...
pete
View Profile
Loyal user
Finland
207 Posts

Profile of pete
Quote:
It's all context and environment. You have to be able to sense when the time is right.

j

Exactly!!! If you know the rules, you can break the rules!

Anyway, I don´t like those old stupid jokes.

Pete
BlakeAdams
View Profile
Special user
Texas
641 Posts

Profile of BlakeAdams
I must say, that was one of the best "wich hand routines" ive every seen. I loved how he got the who audiance involved. that made a simple trick into a mega trick. wow that was impressive.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Derren going against his advice? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL