The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Anyone use crumpled dollar bills to do sponge ball routines? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

defconskylude
View Profile
Regular user
136 Posts

Profile of defconskylude
I just learned how to do paper balls over the head using napkins and figured I'd use crumpled dollar bills to do sponge ball routines and paper balls over the head. I feel this is more impromptu rather than carrying 4 red sponge balls in my pocket.

I can just go into my wallet or borrow the money from the spectator and just crumple the money in front of their face and make them disappear. This would be funny and provide a shock factor. Then just wow them with the routines and a killer ending.

One ending would be to do a transposition with their crumpled money by turning two $1 bills into a $2 bill and let them keep it.

Another ending would be to produce ten or twenty $1 bills when the spectator opens their hands.

I also have a $100 silk bill, a mismade $1 bill and a mismade $5 bill. I can incorporate these into the middle of the routines or make them as a finale.

Thoughts?
kentfgunn
View Profile
Inner circle
Merritt Island FL
1639 Posts

Profile of kentfgunn
I'd respond to your post but I can't spell defconskylude.

Ok, maybe I can. I've used bar napkins wadded up for this effect for years. I have one in a pocket already rolled up. Roll up three in front of the spectators and go into a pretty generic sponge ball routine. I wad up all three of them, have a spectator who is my stooge stand behind the main spectator. He catches the wad-o-balls as I loft it over their heads.

Seems to get a good reaction for me.
Bryanpier
View Profile
New user
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
62 Posts

Profile of Bryanpier
Quote:
On 2009-08-21 18:59, defconskylude wrote:
I just learned how to do paper balls over the head using napkins and figured I'd use crumpled dollar bills to do sponge ball routines and paper balls over the head. I feel this is more impromptu rather than carrying 4 red sponge balls in my pocket.

I can just go into my wallet or borrow the money from the spectator and just crumple the money in front of their face and make them disappear. This would be funny and provide a shock factor. Then just wow them with the routines and a killer ending.

One ending would be to do a transposition with their crumpled money by turning two $1 bills into a $2 bill and let them keep it.

Another ending would be to produce ten or twenty $1 bills when the spectator opens their hands.

I also have a $100 silk bill, a mismade $1 bill and a mismade $5 bill. I can incorporate these into the middle of the routines or make them as a finale.

Thoughts?

The only problem I see with this is the size of the bills for a 'sponge ball' routine. 10-20 sponge balls compact really well because they are, well, sponge. I don't see how you can get 10-20 crumpled up bills in someones hand and play it off as a few. Also, and this is only my opinion, try not to get to wrapped up in one theme. I've seen some magicians stick to one theme, dollar bills for example, for their entire set and it gets repetative. Mix it up. Again, just this one guy's opinion.
If pro is opposite of con, then what is opposite of progress?
defconskylude
View Profile
Regular user
136 Posts

Profile of defconskylude
I understand what you're saying and I agree that it will be difficult to get 10-20 crumpled bills into the their hand. I'll try to see how small I can crumple a single bill. Otherwise I'd have to try it with just five to six crumpled bills and see how it feels. I'd probably have to hold the spectators wrist or their hand so they're distracted.

Majority of the tricks I do involve bills, rubber bands, and finger rings.
Hansel
View Profile
Inner circle
Puerto Rico
2492 Posts

Profile of Hansel
Aldo Colombini in his "Stand Room Only" dvd
Follow Me...
Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/Hansels-Comedy-and-Magic-Show-929625643774678/
Youtube: HanselSP
Twitter: @HanselSP
Instagram: HanselSP
M for Magic
View Profile
Special user
675 Posts

Profile of M for Magic
Chalie Miller's impromptu C&B routine uses rolled up dollar bills and can follow a small sponge ball routine nicely. I think Johnn Ace Palmer does a small sponge ball type routine preceding his C&B routine as a lead-in. I think the routine is viewable on the net.
Yehuda
View Profile
Elite user
403 Posts

Profile of Yehuda
Greg Wilson has a routine in his "off the Cuff" lecture DVD. I think it's a classic "2 in the hand, 1 in the pocket" type spongeball routine, and at the and he uncrumbles the 3 bills and they have all become 20s. Something like that.

Yehuda
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
You are only stopped by your imagination and the size you can handle.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
J.G. the magnificent
View Profile
Special user
Griffith Indiana
885 Posts

Profile of J.G. the magnificent
You could also use cotton balls however I guess you are voting for the bills. I know the Mark Wilson Book Of Magic has material on paper ball magic.
Jeremy Gates
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3149 Posts

Profile of gaddy
Entirely plausable. Have fun!
*due to The Magic Cafe's editorial policies, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
J.G. the magnificent
View Profile
Special user
Griffith Indiana
885 Posts

Profile of J.G. the magnificent
Mark Wilsons sucker torn and restored napkin routine with fake bills.
Jeremy Gates
panlives
View Profile
Inner circle
2087 Posts

Profile of panlives
Quote:
On 2010-12-16 11:50, J.G. the magnificent wrote:
Mark Wilsons sucker torn and restored napkin routine with fake bills.

Oh yes - good thinking!
"Is there any point to which you would wish to draw my attention?"
"To the curious incident of the dog in the night-time."
"The dog did nothing in the night-time."
"That was the curious incident," remarked Sherlock Holmes.
Tim Dowd
View Profile
Special user
...Making the Magic Happen!
942 Posts

Profile of Tim Dowd
I second the cotton balls because you can light them and eat them at the end... saw Brian Brushwood do this (they have to be cotton, no man made fibers)
Timothy Dowd
...Making the Magic Happen!
http://www.timothydowd.com
http://vimeo.com/channels/mymagic
These are my points of view; I accept no responsibility for your interpretation of what I just said...
Yellowcustard
View Profile
Inner circle
New Zealand
1310 Posts

Profile of Yellowcustard
I do a imprompt chop cup with rolled up notes. And after seeing somthing on a sanky DVD I do it with a sigend bill.
its prety much part of my maatyin things I do.
Enjoy your magic,

and let others enjoy it as well!
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24256 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
I was following that post until this part

Quote:
its prety much part of my maatyin things I do.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Yellowcustard
View Profile
Inner circle
New Zealand
1310 Posts

Profile of Yellowcustard
Opss it was late and I was tired. I meant that the trick done that way is now somthing I use regular in walk round. It nice when you collect ideas from souces and see them come together. Aslo it came from messing around a bit to become a strong routine.

Sorry Bill cheers for reading
Enjoy your magic,

and let others enjoy it as well!
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24098 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Bills can talk when either doing the sleight or landing on the floor when doing over the head routine. I use toilet paper, it help adds comedy.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Anyone use crumpled dollar bills to do sponge ball routines? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.5 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL