The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Someone help me understand Mentos mints... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

rossmacrae
View Profile
Inner circle
Arlington, Virginia
2477 Posts

Profile of rossmacrae
I'm working on a routine involving the (now-)famous reaction between Mentos mints and Diet Coke. Details later.

I have no experience with Mentos. Bought a roll and it didn't work. My son pointed to the work "chewy mints" on the label, and the candy coating (like a giant white M&M) and said that the Mentos I want are crunchy, and that they are also known to emit sparks of light when crunched in the dark. Went back to the grocery and could only find "chewy".

So please answer a stupid question: Do they make the original kind any more, and what do I look for or ask for to get the right kind?

Thanks.
See the BALLYCAST Sideshow Blog & Podcast

There is no "way to peace." Peace is the way.
Skip Way
View Profile
Inner circle
3771 Posts

Profile of Skip Way
I've been a Mentos fan for years and the only version I know is the chewy center type. If there's a "crunchy" version, I'm not aware of it.

(From Wikipedia) Jamie Hyneman and Adam Savage, known as "The MythBusters," explained that the fruit flavored Mentos produced a smaller reaction because the wax coating blocks the pits that allow nucleation. The plain mint Mentos give the best reaction. Diet colas are also preferred because they do not contain large amounts of sugar like regular colas. Sugar molecules help keep the carbon dioxide in solution, slowing the reaction. Artificial sweeteners in diet colas are much sweeter per molecule, and so make up a smaller proportion of the solution and allow a faster, more enhanced reaction.
How you leave others feeling after an Experience with you becomes your Trademark.

Magic Youth Raleigh - RaleighMagicClub.org
kcg5
View Profile
Inner circle
who wants four fried chickens and a coke
1868 Posts

Profile of kcg5
Uhh, they are the fresh maker?
Nobody expects the spanish inquisition!!!!!

"History will be kind to me, as I intend to write it"- Sir Winston Churchill
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
In my neck of the woods (okay, blighted sidewalk) the candy that was said to emit sparks when cracked in half were called Necco wafers. Round like Mentos, but flat and skinny. Haven't seen them around in a long time. Don't know what happens when you drop them in Coke.

Of course there's always Alka-Seltzer tablets if you want some fizz.

Jack
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2491 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
Skip's answer is right on. In simple terms, soda is carbonated at a pressure three and a half times the normal pressure we all feel all the time. This "atmospheric" pressure will not hold gasses anywhere but in order by weight; heavy on the bottom, lighter on top. In normal conditions, adding carbon dioxide gas to a can or bottle of soda (a heavy liquid) will giver you a bottle of soda, with the gas on top. That is no Fizz at all. If you have ever opened a can of soda that is too old and gone flat, that is what you have. Somehow it does not taste so good. In normal drinking of a soda, the carbon dioxide is released slowly as "Fizz". At three and a half atmospheric pressure, the carbon dioxide will stay dissolved and mixed in the liquid long enough to shelve for a time and then drink.

What the candy coating does is allow the release of the carbon dioxide all at once and instantly. Hence the reaction. The carbon dioxide comes out so quickly that it literally pushes the soda up and out.

Class dismissed.
Magic is like Science,
Both are fun if you do it right!
RS1963
View Profile
Inner circle
2734 Posts

Profile of RS1963
I don't know if they do or not but the only candy that I have ever heard of or read about emitting sparks when bitten are were, Life Savers peppermints.
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
I learned something about soda. If you are at 5000 feet and drop a warm Dr. Pepper it will explode and blast soda all over your car and up your shorts and then if you don't get the soda off your car while wet, which is only a few minutes at 100 degrees, it sticks there.
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1053 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
Here's an article in New Scientist. Looks like a bona fide physicist--Tonya Coffey at Appalachian State University in Boone, North Carolina--has investigated and written about the phenomenon.

A more detailed article is in American Journal of Physics -- June 2008 -- Volume 76, Issue 6, pp. 551-557, but you can't get the article on the web without paying.

John
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
227 Posts

Profile of balducci
Quote:
On 2009-08-21 23:00, rossmacrae wrote:
I'm working on a routine involving the (now-)famous reaction between Mentos mints and Diet Coke. Details later.

I have no experience with Mentos. Bought a roll and it didn't work. My son pointed to the work "chewy mints" on the label, and the candy coating (like a giant white M&M) and said that the Mentos I want are crunchy, and that they are also known to emit sparks of light when crunched in the dark. Went back to the grocery and could only find "chewy".

So please answer a stupid question: Do they make the original kind any more, and what do I look for or ask for to get the right kind?

Thanks.

From what I've read on the web, seems like it should have worked for you with the chewy mints. Was your cola / soda flat by chance?
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
Stevethomas
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern U.S.A.
3728 Posts

Profile of Stevethomas
The sparking is caused by the crystalline nature of some candies. Much as the piezo effect between 2 crystals being rubbed or struck together. Peppermint (or, more correctly, Pep-O-Mint) Lifesavers candy will spark when crunched.

Steve
rossmacrae
View Profile
Inner circle
Arlington, Virginia
2477 Posts

Profile of rossmacrae
Okay, I've reached a conclusion - in a glass (however large) the mentos did no better than a crushed Alka-Seltzer.

So I'm working from there (trying to make a harmless liquid look like it is reacting to a metal stirrer as though it were acid).

Any other ideas would be gratefully tried.
See the BALLYCAST Sideshow Blog & Podcast

There is no "way to peace." Peace is the way.
RS1963
View Profile
Inner circle
2734 Posts

Profile of RS1963
Quote:
On 2009-08-22 22:17, rossmacrae wrote:
Okay, I've reached a conclusion - in a glass (however large) the mentos did no better than a crushed Alka-Seltzer.

So I'm working from there (trying to make a harmless liquid look like it is reacting to a metal stirrer as though it were acid).

Vinegar and baking soda. would work well.
Doomo
View Profile
Inner circle
2364 Posts

Profile of Doomo
Quote:
On 2009-08-22 22:17, rossmacrae wrote:

Uhmmm... NOT in a glass... The candies go into the bottle... Just a fyi.
If you ever get to a point where words have no meaning, you're probably talking to a dog.

Remember! More Bang For LESS Bucks! It is the right way!

www.rfaproductions.com
Tom Cutts
View Profile
Staff
Northern CA
5930 Posts

Profile of Tom Cutts
I think this will clear things up...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Jlv8F9cerA&feature=related
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Someone help me understand Mentos mints... (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL