The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Fire cage cloth (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Sorcerer
View Profile
Loyal user
289 Posts

Profile of Sorcerer
Recently I've changed cloth for my fire cage cause cloth I was using was not fire proof (never had a problem with that, but I think it's a great risk)

The new cloth is fire retardant, but as opposite to the old one, it's "slippery", so it tends to slip back, falling behind cage (really embarrasing if this happens "live")

I've considered fixing cloth with double-sided Scotch tape or velkro, but I've found sometimes it makes pulling cloth too difficult. I'm used pulling cloth really fast cause I like the apparition to be in the blink of an eye.

I'm also thinking using some kind of wire to retain cloth till pulling but I still haven't found a method which mantain it firmly and releases smoothly cloth by pulling.

My usual cloth stayed on cage by itself, but I just don't want using it anymore to avoid fire risk.

I was wondering if anyone has this problem and could share their solution on it.

Thank you
aboycemagic
View Profile
Regular user
New York
153 Posts

Profile of aboycemagic
Hello, Did you throw out your old cloth yet because if you didn't you can go back to that one and use this product http://www.theatrefx.com/store/commerce......._related

To make your cloth fire retardent.
Hope this helps
Craig Dickens
View Profile
Veteran user
368 Posts

Profile of Craig Dickens
Can you sew a different, non-slip fabric to the inside spots where the cage corners are?
e-mail at:magicaldickens@aol.com
motivationalmagic
View Profile
Regular user
Pennsylvania
179 Posts

Profile of motivationalmagic
You can use very, very tiny pieces of velcro. It will be sufficient to hold your cloth in place, and yet provide minimal resistance when pulling the cloth from the cage.

I've used tiny pieces of velcro as small as 1/4 inch to 1/2 inch square to keep the fabric in place.

Sometimes, then, you might have a little trouble finding the velcro when you want to stick it in place onto the cage. One way of doing this is to sew a bead or a small piece of wood within the fabric, this way they can be quickly found.

For a fire cage, another option might be a flat strip of wood, such as thin quarter inch paneling wood, sewn into your fabric. Perhaps 1/2 inch wide, by four inches long or so. Line this up on the edges of the top of your fire cage, and you have a perfect layout connection when setting up the cloth.

I've applied this idea of tiny pieces of velcro to several various types of illusions or effects, and it has made a huge difference. Not only does the fabric stay in place, but I know that the prop is set up 100% the same each and every time, with no worry of something misfiring.

Rich
Motivational Magic
"The Magician on a Mission to Motivate"
www.MotivationalMagic.com
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22593 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
You have not described your old or new cloth, so being in the dark, may I suggest you sew your old cloth to the top of your new cloth, this will give added weight and may keep your cloth on cage.

As with any new material, the cloth before sewing should be washed or steamed to remove the sizing from the new material. This is to reduce the chance of the material shrinking and this will also make the cloth more pliable.
Amazing Binky
View Profile
Loyal user
Lancaster,OH
221 Posts

Profile of Amazing Binky
How about magnets?
Sorcerer
View Profile
Loyal user
289 Posts

Profile of Sorcerer
Hello guys

Thanks to everybody. Really good ideas. I've tested Craig's idea and it works!

Sure little velkros or magnets as motivationalmagic and Amazing Binky sugested work too. Thank you both too.

Fire retardant fluid seems a good idea, but as I already have a new cloth, prefer this one cause the old one was a little damaged. Thanks anyway aboycemagic.

Asking questions in this forum is a pleasure. Thanks Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Fire cage cloth (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL