The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Arthur Monroe's Voodoo from Annemann's PME (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

WDavis
View Profile
Inner circle
1276 Posts

Profile of WDavis
Just wanted to know how many people perform this piece? does it play well, any hiccups, and where can I get (what is) a lota bowl?
WDavis
View Profile
Inner circle
1276 Posts

Profile of WDavis
Nevermind on the Lota Bowl, did a quick google search and found out. but I am still curious as to the rest of my questions. any advise/opinions on the routine would be great.
Garrad
View Profile
Elite user
446 Posts

Profile of Garrad
I thought voodoo was the one with the box and coin a version of which appears on the Osterlind DVD's
You might say reality is the result of complex negotiations between the observer and the observed. But that is simply a point of view.

Many Thanks
Garrad
mindshrink
View Profile
Special user
Delhi,India
916 Posts

Profile of mindshrink
I have always toyed with the idea but have not performed it.
A lota is a bowl--metal/clay with a small neck(relatively).or a rounded body with a neck like a vase.
In ancient India..a lota was a multipurpose mug.....before the taps came into use.
PC SORCAR has made a great routine using a lota bowl(an opener for almost 50 years)...calls it water of India.
Dave McFarland
View Profile
Regular user
Portland, OR
184 Posts

Profile of Dave McFarland
You don't need a lota bowl for that routine; the special feature of a lota bowl isn't actually used in the routine ... I guess Annemann thought anyone reading the routine would already have a lota bowl. Any small container will work, and only if you're going for the eery green light effect described in PME. Richard Osterlind does the same effect in his No Camera Tricks DVD, but without the eery light.
WDavis
View Profile
Inner circle
1276 Posts

Profile of WDavis
Dave,Garrad, Mindshrink, thank you for your answers. My concern was the Lota bowl in the effect. I don't have Osterlind's No Camera Tricks so I was imagining the routine and didn't see much benefit from the eery light except maybe for mood setting. Thank you for clarifying that for me. Cheers,
Dr Spektor
View Profile
Eternal Order
Carcanis
10781 Posts

Profile of Dr Spektor
Check also Mephisto's Journey from Docc... its his take on Voodoo... and it is excellent... the "light" is to create the ambience/atmo/energy/timewarp/whatever to reach across the dimensions to do the effect... and yep, I perform versions of this quite often whenever I get the chance.... but with extra spook stuff like ghost writing and the like... don't overlook this gem.
"They are lean and athirst!!!!"
mindmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
London
1740 Posts

Profile of mindmagic
There's a nice version in "Daemons, Darklings and Doppelgangers" by Tony Shiels. Magic Books by Post should have it.

Paul Daniels presented Voodoo in one of his Halloween specials. Impossible to find on video, apparently.

Barry
WDavis
View Profile
Inner circle
1276 Posts

Profile of WDavis
Dr Spektor, mindmagic, thank you both for your posts. I will look into both of those. From what I have seen of Docc,I like his presentation style, so I will definately look into that one.

I was planning on using this for a halloween show for the neighborhood. I remember Halloween was filled with haunted houses and fun things to do as a child/teenager. Unfortunately, where I live the concept/application of a neighborhood haunted house has gone the way of the dodo. So, I thought I'd give back a little bit to the community and put on a couple of shows through out the night for them. And hopefully inspire others to do something next halloween as well.
Lord Of The Horses
View Profile
Inner circle
5406 Posts

Profile of Lord Of The Horses
Check Threadgill's "The Illustrated Mentalist" book, if you can find a copy. The book was published around 1978.

You will find an effect called "Journey Into The Dark" which in my opinion is the best.

It's very similar to Docc's "Mephisto's Journey" but it's done with books rather than playing cards.

I have always thought that Docc's "Mephisto's Journey" was more directly influenced by Threadgill's "Journey Into The Dark" than by Monroe's Voodoo...
Then you'll rise right before my eyes, on wings that fill the sky, like a phoenix rising!
Oscar999
View Profile
Elite user
401 Posts

Profile of Oscar999
Monroes Voodoo is one of those performance pieces you might pass up if you just read it, but when Osterlind performed it on his No Camera Tricks DVD I was amazed. It really plays strong and very dramatic.

Oscar
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Arthur Monroe's Voodoo from Annemann's PME (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL