We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Tips for Postcards from the Road (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

RJE
View Profile
Inner circle
1848 Posts

Profile of RJE
First, I want to say that I love performing this effect. We originally bought ours from Hocus Pocus a number of years ago and so if there have been any structural improvements lately, I'm sorry if this thread covers those by mistake.

This is a wonderful effect, in my opinion, that unfortunately cannot be done at every venue due to some tricky angles. However, if you are at a venue where it can be done, here are a two tips for presentation that I can offer from experience.

One, if you have the version with the rickety tripod like I had, throw the tripod out. Not only was it feeble, but it didn't extend high enough to justify using a chair in the routine. It was useless. Also, if it was hanging from a tripod, why not just lower the tripod to retrieve the prediction? The premise just didn't work for me.

Instead, hang the prediction from a backdrop or the ceiling. This works a lot better (you can't simply lower the backdrop or ceiling, so therefore you have to have some other way to retrieve the prediction, like a chair) and the prediction can now be hung at whatever height suits you. We either tape it directly to the ceiling, or hang a piece of magic rope from the ceiling and attach the prediction. When hanging it from a backdrop, we again dangle it from rope at the height required.

I will not get into any exposure here, those that own this will understand what I'm saying without having to tip any secrets.

Next, keep the chair, but carry a role of duct tape, magnet and elastic band with you to the show. If the show is in a banquet hall or other venue that uses chairs set on the floor then use one of the venue's chairs for the effect. This looks a lot more convincing than pulling out old woody. It also helps if you do not have a black backdrop.

So the prediction is hung from their ceiling and you simply grab one of their chairs to retrieve it. Little things that make it more "real" in my opinion.

Hope these help.
parmenion
View Profile
Inner circle
Switzerland/Zürich
3992 Posts

Profile of parmenion
I disagree, if you're a dwarf the tripod is fine.
“I love talking about nothing. It is the only thing I know anything about.”
<BR>Oscar Wilde experimentaliste <br>
<BR>Artist pickpocket Professional
<BR>
<BR>Looking for the best book test in French? send me a PM!
Joshua Lozoff
View Profile
Inner circle
Chapel Hill, NC
1332 Posts

Profile of Joshua Lozoff
Great tips. A magnet is a fantastic idea. Shimming inside the envelope? (IF this is better answered in a PM, that's fine...
Joshua Lozoff

joshualozoff.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Tips for Postcards from the Road (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL