The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Chris Kenner Superfly & R Paul Wilson The fly (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Allan Bright
View Profile
Regular user
134 Posts

Profile of Allan Bright
Hello,

I am considering buying either Kenner's or Wilson's version of 3 Fly. I have seen individual post on those effects but I was wondering which one I should get.
It is hard to decide when I haven't see any of them live.

Your help is appreciated.

Allan
parmenion
View Profile
Inner circle
Switzerland/Zürich
3993 Posts

Profile of parmenion
Allan stay away from Wilson 3fly !
I don't know the Kenner's gimmicked coin but I know the Wilson...
I think Bob Kohler should soon release his U3F2, perhaps you should waiting for it.
“I love talking about nothing. It is the only thing I know anything about.”
<BR>Oscar Wilde experimentaliste <br>
<BR>Artist pickpocket Professional
<BR>
<BR>Looking for the best book test in French? send me a PM!
Douglas Lippert
View Profile
Inner circle
E Pluribus Unum
2339 Posts

Profile of Douglas Lippert
Quote:
On 2009-08-26 17:28, parmenion wrote:
Allan stay away from Wilson 3fly !

Why do you suggest that? Some magicians recommend U3F because you can let the coins be examined. I like U3F because you just have one gaff to worry about.
Douglas Lippert
Former I.B.M. Ring #8 Secretary
http://www.facebook.com/Doug.Lippert
StuBeck
View Profile
New user
69 Posts

Profile of StuBeck
I own both U3F and SuperFly. With both sets the coins may be examined.
Allan Bright
View Profile
Regular user
134 Posts

Profile of Allan Bright
Stubeck, what's your favorite between U3F and Superfly then ? Maybe, I should wait for U3F2...
StuBeck
View Profile
New user
69 Posts

Profile of StuBeck
They are both good and you will be happy (as I am) with either set. There is a sequence/phase in U3F that I love to say and do which cannot be done with SuperFly. But the gimmick in SuperFly allows me to get in and out of the routine easier than U3F and the gimmick can be used in other routines (SuperFly). I purchased U3F when it first came out so Im more comfortable with it, and have owned SuperFly for a little over a week or so, so it hasn't seen a live audience. So...they're both great, you'd be happy with either set but I haven't enough non-mirror performances with SuperFly to make an honest call. I do, however, believe that once polished it'll be a difficult call. I like them both for different reasons.
GeorgeG
View Profile
Inner circle
Thousand Oaks, CA
1019 Posts

Profile of GeorgeG
I definitely prefer U3F over R Paul Wilson's TheFly; SuperFly seems way too expensive and hate to be disappointed as I was with TheFly
MJ Marrs
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
1106 Posts

Profile of MJ Marrs
First off, Super Fly has become my all time favorite magic trick.

However, I recently purchased R Paul Wilson's "The Fly" directly from Joe Porper. I'm quite pleased with all aspects of the coin set and routines. Three Fly (various versions) has long been my favorite coin routine to perform, even though in paid performances I use a 1-coin routine and a version of Roth's shell coins across as the workhorses of my walkaround sets. Three Fly will probably always be my favorite (albeit not most performed) coin trick to play with and perform so I simply had to add Wilson's "The Fly" to my repertoire.

The engineering and principles behind the coin set are amazing. Paul Wilson is brilliant and he's always been one of my favorite magicians. Joe Porper's workmanship is of course top notch. I'd say that if one were going to limit oneself to a SINGLE Three Fly routine, then I don't think that the majority of magicians would be pleased to use "The Fly" as their ONLY routine; simply because having a standard Three Fly routine with regular ungaffed coins, such as Kenner's original routine or Wilson's "Crowded Coins," or Kohler's gaffed coin version (U3F), allows for a more free handling of the coins (including an audible component of real coins clinking at one or more instances during the routine). However, if one is willing to learn more than one version of Three Fly, then adding Wilson's gaffed set provides some visually stunning moments that aren't possible with any other set of coins/routines that I've seen. The moves aren't difficult with "The Fly" routine that is well taught on the DVD, but there are a couple of moves that will take me a bit more practice to get down, especially since my sense of timing is always something I'm working on.

I hope this helps out with anybody who is trying to decide if "The Fly" is for them.

Cheers,
MJ
bsears
View Profile
Inner circle
Cincinnati, Ohio
1035 Posts

Profile of bsears
I still do the old-school, non-gaffed version from Totally Out of Control. It gets the same reaction as any of the others when done well.
MaxfieldsMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Instead of practicing, I made
2995 Posts

Profile of MaxfieldsMagic
Quote:
On 2010-03-06 11:41, bsears wrote:
I still do the old-school, non-gaffed version from Totally Out of Control. It gets the same reaction as any of the others when done well.

Key phrase: "...when done well." That's why I still use gaffs! Smile
Now appearing nightly in my basement.
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
See R. Paul do it at http://www.petebiro.com
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
afknight
View Profile
Elite user
490 Posts

Profile of afknight
Quote:
On 2010-03-06 18:39, Pete Biro wrote:
See R. Paul do it at http://www.petebiro.com

thanks for sharing the video Pete. I'm in the air on whether this version is for me particularly since I already own both superfly and U3F already. something to ponder....
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Chris Kenner Superfly & R Paul Wilson The fly (0 Likes)
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL