The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Levitations (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Beaudini Magic
View Profile
Loyal user
Ohio
259 Posts

Profile of Beaudini Magic
I've been looking to purchase a good all around levitation for the evening show I've been working on. As of now, I own a few illusions, but not a levitation. My new show will travel to different venues, hopefully cruise ships! I'm looking for a practical levitation, preferably without wires ect., required for the Asrah. I've been looking at the portable asrah by Julio Lepan. What do you think? Any info on levitations would be greatly appreciated. Thanks a lot.
-Beau Alexander
"Make the Path, Others will Follow"
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
6018 Posts

Profile of Dennis Michael
I can't speak from experience, but like youself, I want a levitation.

Each one has a gimmick, and they each have their pluses and minuses. A broom levitation packs small, is inexpensive, and can play surrounded. The price is low. Other suspensions such as the Super-X, are low priced. Some like the 3-in-1 must have a backdrop, and eight feet behind that.

You need to really research this and make a decision on which one you want.
Dennis Michael
Saydean
View Profile
Loyal user
Omaha,Nebraska
206 Posts

Profile of Saydean
Den,
I just want to correct you on the 3 in 1 info.
Yes it takes up 8 ' of length but is less than 2' wide at its base, in performing it you only need 3-4' of space. For someone who wants to do levatations its still the best built lowest cost unit you will ever find.
Remember, it was built by a magician for magicians, and if you want a model with smaller space we can do it for you. Just let us know and well do it .
thanks,
Saydean
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
6018 Posts

Thanks Saydean for the information.

Den
Dennis Michael
omnibozo
View Profile
Regular user
Boulder, CO
149 Posts

Profile of omnibozo
if you can gather the money, the Yogano Chair Levitation offers a lot of solutions to performance problems. It can be done nearly surrounded, and with care, surrounded. It is self contained. It is possible, with some prep time, to do with a spectator (CEO, older birthday girl...). You get an actual rise. You can pass a hoop. Nothing to attach to the stage or set. Suspensions just aren't as cool as real levitations... but you will be paying for whichever version you choose.
Bob LaRue
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
6018 Posts

Yea, any of the Yogano Levitations are great and a bit pricy. They can be seen with how it is done on Tilford's Illusion Website, so you spend $5,000 dollars and Tilford exposes it all!
Dennis Michael
Beaudini Magic
View Profile
Loyal user
Ohio
259 Posts

Hey guys thanks for the advice, I really appreciate it. Den, if i get a levitation soon, ill let ya know what i think. Thanks again.
-Beau Alexander
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
6018 Posts

By the end of next week, I'll have four levitations.

1. The Flying Carpet (Already have that)
2. Broom Suspension (Surrounded Performances)
3. Super-X Suspension (Photo Shoot- Hade-E Levitiation)
4. Electrial Aga Levitiation (Stage/Illusion Show)

Griffin and Kramien both state that it is one of the most powerful illusions and some sort of levitation should be in a quality show.
Dennis Michael
Beaudini Magic
View Profile
Loyal user
Ohio
259 Posts

I really think that every show needs one. I must get one! I am allmost convinced to buy the 3 in 1 levitation, but im not quite sure. Boy do you have your fair share of levitations and suspensions. I allmost baught an abbots super x at an auction, but got hospitality instead. Thanks again!
-Beau Alexander
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
6018 Posts

Ahhh, The 3-in-1 is so tempting. I am seriousouly considering that one. I like the vertical lift concept and the cost.
Dennis Michael
Saydean
View Profile
Loyal user
Omaha,Nebraska
206 Posts

Profile of Saydean
For those fellow magic Cafe members I will offer a $100.00 additional discount for the 3 in 1 . E-mail me direct if your interested.
Just a side note however,as a working illusionist, I was fed up with high priced underbuilt illusions and I swore that if I ever got the chance I would make a illusion that was well built,easy to do and required no special parts and that it would be sold at a low cost. I am really tired of the "You dont buy the illusion, you buy the seceret" concept of illusions. So many really great performers stop doing magic because of the high cost of the illusions, maybe with mine the next "Copperfield" will be able to live his dream.
Saydean Smile
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
6018 Posts

Can't pass this deal up! Sign me up!
Dennis Michael
David Todd
View Profile
Inner circle
1486 Posts

Profile of David Todd
Has anyone on the board purchased the Yogano Chair levitation or the Yogano Diablo ? Are they noisy at all ? Can they be done fairly close to audience?

I think the chair or the "Diablo" (used as a table for most of show) could be quite effective to float a birthday girl or boy.

The photo ops and repeat business might make it worth the price .

The chair prop looks like it could use a little work. It looks a little bit "fake" , though it is the chair levitation that appeals to me the most because of it's potential to appear as an "ordinary" item.

Smile
omnibozo
View Profile
Regular user
Boulder, CO
149 Posts

Profile of omnibozo
A close friend owns and uses regularly the Yogano Chair style levitation. It is quiet enough to use pretty close up... though I would always use music with it to be sure... the problem is the weight. Other, lighter, suspensions play pretty well for the bparty circuit... not quite as cool as a levitation, but far less weight to carry and set, and much safer for the kids. The chair is covered with wood grained contact type paper, but I have never seen or heard an audience question it.
Bob LaRue
Scott Wells
View Profile
Special user
Houston, TX
924 Posts

Profile of Scott Wells
Well, I surprised that no one has yet mentioned Walter's "Ladder Levitation" (which is really a suspension). It is top notch and can be performed with 45 degree angles. It is great for floating a lightweight lady (wife of CEO or such) limited to about 120 pounds. The real beautiful thing is the hoop. The metal hoop can be used with any levitation and takes it to another level.

If you decide to go cheaper than the full blown Ladder Levitation (his 3001 Suspension) then it has other advantages and disadvantages over the Ladder Levitation. There is also the cheaper "Great White Hoop" which is an acceptable alternative to the metal hoop and is equally deceiving.

After thinking about it for several years, I finally purchased the full blown model with the metal hoop, cases and all. And I'm not the least bit disappointed. I raised my price for my performances and I think my audiences appreciate it and feel that they're getting their money's worth.

Although my show is largely stand-up comedy magic with lots of audience participation, I have added the Ladder Levitation for larger audiences. I agree with Griffin and Kramien that some sort of levitation should be in a quality show.

yours,
Scott
"A magician who isn't working is only fooling himself." - Scott Wells, M.I.M.C. with Gold Star

The Magic Word podcast: http://themagicwordpodcast.com Listen to convention coverage, interviews with magicians, pictures, videos and more.

Magic Inspirations website for all things Banachek: www.magicinspirations.net
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5269 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
I agree with everyone here that a Levitation enhances a show. A good, well-blocked, well-rehearsed levitation is sure to make a small show look huge.

Suspensions are OK, but they are harder to sell to the audience, than a true levitation. I strongly agree with Scott, that Walter Blaney’s Ladder Suspension and Hoop combination (even the cheaper Great White Hoop) is one of the best suspensions I have ever witnessed. I think that this type of suspension (which includes all the “X” type, Princess Flying Carpets, and Chair types) is best performed with a spectator from the audience.

The Sword suspension probably comes next in general effectiveness, but like the Broom Suspension, requires an assistant to perform.

The Broom Suspension takes some work to present effectively and magically. Hans Moritti “Paper Tree” version is one of the best. He literally cuts up the apparently paper tree support at the end of the illusion. I have also seen a mike-stand, a giant Sword, and a Neon Light version of the Broom Suspension. All were presented well but lacked the oomph that levitation has.

The version that uses the draped form (Arisa/Aga’s???) can be pretty effective (check out Goldfinger and Dove’s act!) and magical. However, the audience can only see the covered shape of the assistant as she floats.

I think that Dean’s offer is great! A working levitation for under $1000.00 USD! I have seen most of the so-called portable, mechanical levitations. All of them cost much more than this. Other than what has been posted here, I have not seen the technical specifications and I don’t know how quiet it is. I suspect that it will prove itself to be a best buy!

Thinking about it, many if not all of the suspensions start in the $400.00 range. That is simply a chair suspension of a Princess Flying carpet style. The Broomstick and the Sword Suspension (and the like) start at about $1500 for a good, safe, well made one. The various mechanical levitations seem to start in the $2000.00 range and up.

Unit weight, ease of set-up, angles, noise, need for a special harness, need for a trained assistant and so for the are all variables which should enter your decision.
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
6018 Posts

Great Post, and filled with Information.

I just bought the Gossomer Broom setup, and a mechanical levitation. I got a homemade Super-X for photo shoots, and as soon as they contact me I'm getting the 3-in-one.
Dennis Michael
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5269 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
Den, you have to be the King of levitations and suspensions! You have one of almost every style (except the sword suspension, but then the Broom suspension is similar enough…).

Really, I would appreciate your personal critique on each.

The Gossamer harness is supposed to be the best available. Is that your experience?

Why so many? Do you do that many different styles of acts?
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
6018 Posts

Your questions, where to start! First the sword suspension is on my list to get!

I always wanted to do levitations and never had the money for them. My first purchase was the Flying Carpet. Then I started looking into suspensions, from Davis Ginn's Photos, "Promoting You an Me II" and Mark Wilson's, video on Levitations, and trying to understand them. I was reading everything I could find about them, Ken Griffen and Stan Kramien raved about them in their Illusion "Know-How" books.

Denny Hanny (Denny & Lees) was a big help in my quest for knowledge as were quite of few brother magi here at this site.

Steve Thomas sold me a homemade Super-X type suspension frame only. I have a few ideas for photos with it. I then saw on Magic Auction the GOSSAMER HARNESS and Denny Hanny told me that was the best. After viewing it and it's price at Stevens Magic and hearing what others had to say and it came with the base and bar, I bid on it and won the bid. (Still haven't got it delivered yet) At the same time I bid on the Aga mechanical levitation. Supposely it is one of the best models made, except it uses 120 volts. It will work with my stage illusion show. (Still waiting for that.)

Now why all of these when one will do.

The Broom can be surrounded for those types of events and publicity shots, the Flying Carpet for my kids show, and I want the Aga for a Hade-E-Levitation table, and for a few ideas for my Illusion show. (Probable the most powerful of the suspensions because it floats up and down.)

Now why the 3-in-1 on top of this? I don't know, the price was right I guess and I have a love for floating! I'll find somehow to use it. Maybe I'll do the Flying Carpet at a magic convention... after a few groans from the magicians, I'll put the screen back pick the girl up a few feet (3-in-1 Levitation) and roll off the flying carpet, making her float for real. That should shock them!

Just prior to your post I went out in my shed and pulled out a plastic box to build the Fearson Box Illusion just for fun, that should cost me a whole $10.00 for the gimmick.

My wife said when are we going to see your show, does it come with room, breakfast, lunch, and dinner, with numerous rest room breaks!!! There is enough for several days worth of entertainment.

Your last question. Yes,I have several acts I have a Kid's Safey Act, a Kids Magic Act, I'm putting together a family fun fundraiser evening illusion show a-la John Kaplan theme park style, a close-up show for kids (Same a my stage kid show, except it's the minature version and props of it, with some changes.) Now the routines are written so I could easily do a suitcase birthday show together.

I'm just a big kid with my magic toys to play with.
Dennis Michael
davekilpatrick
View Profile
Loyal user
Syracuse, NY
282 Posts

Profile of davekilpatrick
I've always loved the Zaney Blaney Ladder Levitation. When I saw Copperfield do it live (before on TV), I was flabbergasted. I've studied illusions since the 70s, but was caught of guard with that one. However, with about three replays of his TV special, I knew exactly what was going on, and loved it even more! My only gripe is the price. Is it still $6000 plus $2500 for the hoop? You can get many LEVITATIONS for less than that SUSPENSION. By the way, is there a place on the web to purchase this? In my mind it is the best SUSPENSION ever.

Also, can anyone tell us how reliable the Yogano props are? I'm interested in the Sit Down Levitation (the chair) and the Saturn Levitation. If I get one now at age 42 will I be using the prop in my retirement? Mechanical stuff makes me nervous.

Finally, who can tell me about this 3 in 1 levitation you're all referring to?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Levitations (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.22 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL