The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Claustrophobic volunteer in a head chest (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5952 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
I have a Spikes! Illusion, which is a really nice, and is similar in effect to an Arrowhead/Murder Inc./Dagger Head Chest. When I tried out the illusion for the first time, the participant started to get claustrophobic about 30 seconds into it. Have those who perform these effects found this to be a rare occurrence? Is there a good way to qualify the volunteers?
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Yes, I have had this happen. Last fall, a similar thing happened when I used the wife of my performing partner. She was to apparently be just someone from the crowd. It was going to be a late night show, and we thought this perhaps safer than trusting the drunks in the crowd. She sat there fine, but after she came out, she almost hit the floor passing out. She then told me that she gets sick and disoriented when she is in a confined dark space. It looked good from the crowd's POV, but it scared the crap out of me.

On another occasion, a big tough guy started to get panicky inside the box. My assistant got very close to the box and kept talking the guy down, while the music kept all that private from the audience. Needless to say we finished the routine as fast as we could.

I know of no other way to qualify a volunteer without just asking the crowd for a volunteer who is not claustrophobic, afraid of the dark, etc. Then, you just hope for the best.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
SpellbinderEntertainment
View Profile
Inner circle
West Coast
3519 Posts

Profile of SpellbinderEntertainment
Very good stories Michael!

First, it was wise to choose someone ahead of time,
even if it is an audience member, they can be pre-qualifed in the lobby.

Second, it could be worked into the presentation story,
that this piece takes you to a mysterious and dark realm,
and is not for the timid….
if they go for it, they hopefully are not the kind to freak.

This is another good example of always play it safe!

Thanks for the question Alan!

Magically,
Walt
Blair Marshall
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Canada
3661 Posts

Profile of Blair Marshall
Blindfolding them might work, I've not had this problem (yet!)

B
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5952 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
Quote:
On 2009-08-28 12:02, Michael Baker wrote:
I know of no other way to qualify a volunteer without just asking the crowd for a volunteer who is not claustrophobic, afraid of the dark, etc. Then, you just hope for the best.

I figured out a way, a number of weeks ago, of how to qualify several people on stage. But, the equipment required would require more room in my car.

Asking people would be insufficient, because most people would have no clue whether they are or not. I remember trying on one of those cheap Indian hood blindfolds, which was too small for my head, and I freaked out to the point where I almost tore it off. I didn't realize that a slight pressure on my nose, in a dark confined space, would trigger such a reaction.
lebowski
View Profile
Veteran user
377 Posts

Profile of lebowski
Years ago I saw the claustrophobic thing happen on tv with this trick done on David Letterman by Kammar the magician. Dave was yelling "I can't breathe. Get this thing off my head." If memory serves, after a long run of appearances on the Letterman show it was Kammar's last after this incident. Anyone remember seeing this?
Frank Simpson
View Profile
Special user
SW Montana
883 Posts

Profile of Frank Simpson
Lebowski-

I remember this one... I do remember Dave standing up with the entire apparatus dangling from his shoulders. My recollection was far less that Dave was experiencing actual claustrophobia, and more that he was mugging for his particular brand of comedy.
chmara
View Profile
Inner circle
Tucson, AZ
1911 Posts

Profile of chmara
Pre-Interview -- very direct -- are you afraid to be in small dark places in case I ask you to help on stage ---???

Include - Head Chest, Murder, Inc., Arrowhead in worrisome effects.

And -- if using a head chopper make sure the victim's neck is small enough to fit and he is flexible enough to kneel.
Gregg (C. H. Mara) Chmara

Commercial Operations, LLC

Tucson, AZ

C. H. Mara Illusion & Psychic Entertainments
cardone
View Profile
Special user
860 Posts

Profile of cardone
I get to the gig early and find someone ...then put their head in the box before the show to see if they are ok ... It makes me feel better and I don't have to worry about them freaking out during the routine ....
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Claustrophobic volunteer in a head chest (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL