The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Ben Harris:: Oil and Water Deluxe:: Review (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

JamieD
View Profile
Inner circle
London
1800 Posts

Profile of JamieD
Oil and Water Deluxe :: First Published in “Singapore Lecture Notes” in 1985 :: 18 Pages

So we see the return of another updated Ben Harris Miracle. I must say, I was genuinely excited about receiving this one. The classic plots of magic ‘such as oil and water’ have always intrigued me. Finding ways to update the originals of each effect, bring it up to date and make it the best possible handling for both spectator and magician. Oil and water is no exception. Over the years readying hundreds of books, lectures notes and watching just as many DVD’s and old video’s to find Thee BEST handling of the classic plot. Settling on Cameron Francis and Derren Brown’s versions as the one I used now.

So how does Ben Harris’ Deluxe Oil and Water compare?

It’s an absolute knock out! Before I continue with this review, I have to say, that this one is without a doubt my favourite “single trick” pdf from Ben so far. It really does everything an Oil and Water routine needs. For me, one of the most important things in an Oil and Water is that it looks simple and easy for the spectator to follow. This it does perfectly! What if I were to say that the spectator will begin by mixing the cards should you so wish... Then, by picking the stack up, displaying (with no funny moves) that they are STILL mixed and then still with no funny moves, show that they were separated, you’d think me mad? Well I’m not! This version of the classic really does live up to all the expectations I had hoped from an Oil and Water routine. What I also love about this routine is that the spectator can begin the trick by mixing them and then at the end, she can turn the mixed pile over to discover it’s unmixed state. There is only really one complex ‘Sleight’ in the routine. That being said, nearly any magician with basic knowledge of card magic can do this easily. Ben has also placed a conditioning open routine. Which is your basic ambitious card BUT, really settles your audience into what’s going to happen. Sometimes the smallest details are the most important.
You do have to drag yourself though the opening pages of tittles and agreements but it is well worth it to get onto the actual trick. The effect is brilliantly well described and is deafly simple to perform. Everything about the routine screams ‘clean’. Most other routines use weird false count or card displacements. Sometime they even use extra cards or complicated set ups. This can be done from a shuffled deck. No set up. Spectator mixes them. No iffy or complicated counts or displacements.

The opening stage of the trick really caught me of guard. Do you remember when you were younger; getting a trick that was self working, like the Dynamic coins. When you slapped that brass cap on the table and that stack of coins appeared, it was not only magical but it was bloody confusing. Although you were following the instructions, you still couldn’t believe it worked. The same with this effect. I was following Ben’s instructions to a point which told me that the cards were separated and not mixed. I turned over the cards and sure enough, they were actually separated. Although, I was completely and utterly confused as to how that had happened.

In my honest opinion, This could be the ultimate in oil and water handlings. No complicated sleights or moves. Nothing looks suspicious. Simple and easy for the spectator to watch. Not long and drawn out. The spectator can begin the trick by mixing them AND can turn over the final pile to show they are separated. Clean, Clean, Clean.

Rating:: ***** 5/5 stars!

“A truly brilliant handling of one of magic’s most classic plots. Simple and easy to perform and possibly one of the cleanest versions you’re every likely to find! From a shuffled deck and a definite must for any card magician.”

Available soon from http://www.wowbound.com Price:: $8.95

Reviewed by Jamie Daws
TORCE - VMRS - DARK SERIES
www.JAMIEDAWS.CO.UK
zmakingmagic
View Profile
Regular user
Burbank, California
119 Posts

Profile of zmakingmagic
Is this routine the same as Mr. Harris's other Oil and Water routine "Slick?"
Ben Harris
View Profile
V.I.P.
The Land Down Under
2126 Posts

Profile of Ben Harris
Yes, it's pretty much SLICK.

Ben Harris
+Inventor of the world famous Floating Match+
+Author: Machinations (Vanishing Inc, 2020)+
EVERYTHING BEN HARRIS
papawemba
View Profile
Special user
656 Posts

Profile of papawemba
Thanks for the review !
Anyone know if the description in lecture note SINGAPORE LECTURE NOTES is complete enough ? (It is written "basic handling" !?)
http://www.wowbound.com/downloadscontent.html

Thank you !
Nicolas
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Quote:
On 2009-08-30 06:32, JamieD wrote:
Do you remember when you were younger; getting a trick that was self working, like the Dynamic coins. When you slapped that brass cap on the table and that stack of coins appeared, it was not only magical but it was bloody confusing. Although you were following the instructions, you still couldn’t believe it worked.

YES I do. What an incredible feeling it was.

Ben's effect sounds fiendish!

Chris
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
papawemba
View Profile
Special user
656 Posts

Profile of papawemba
This oil and water is called deluxe http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3kQ-9GOV4CI
I hope it is not the same as Ben Harris...?

Thanks !
Nicolas
Ben Harris
View Profile
V.I.P.
The Land Down Under
2126 Posts

Profile of Ben Harris
Papa,

The video you reference has nothing to do with my handling of the effect.

Cheers

Benny
EVERYTHING BEN HARRIS
papawemba
View Profile
Special user
656 Posts

Profile of papawemba
Hey than you Ben !
I will take a try on your version, sound very cool !

Nicolas
Ben Harris
View Profile
V.I.P.
The Land Down Under
2126 Posts

Profile of Ben Harris
Hi Papa,

All of our products and ebooks carry a 100% money back warranty. If, within 7 days you decide our product is not for you, then just ask for a refund.

I hope you enjoy Oil & Water Deluxe.

Benny
EVERYTHING BEN HARRIS
Charlie Justice
View Profile
Inner circle
Mount Dora, Florida
1142 Posts

Profile of Charlie Justice
I recently purchased this and it is by far the best ungaffed oil and water routine I have ever played with. From a borrowed deck you can perform such a strong piece of magic that looks impossible. I too got fooled myself while learning it. Great fun.

Peace, charlie
Zombie Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
I went out for a beer and now have
8733 Posts

Profile of Zombie Magic
Anyone know if there is an online demo?
BaryBazz
View Profile
Loyal user
United Kingdom
213 Posts

Profile of BaryBazz
Ordered this effect and its great although I found the first part a bit confusing. This demo cleared it up and its very close to the supplied version.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MH_UirOVtKY

Has to be one of the best ungimmicked versions of this effect and I will use it.

Barry
Bietfriek
View Profile
Special user
Bye, bye after
502 Posts

Profile of Bietfriek
I've performed this routine several times and always got great reactiona.
Ben Harris
View Profile
V.I.P.
The Land Down Under
2126 Posts

Profile of Ben Harris
Hi guys. Thanks for enjoying this effect.

If someone would like to shoot a good and accurate demo (preferably with a live audience) I'd be prepared to offer a $100 credit for use to purchase any downloads from http://www.wowbound.com

Send it across for approval and we can then label it as the official online demo.

Cheers

Benny
EVERYTHING BEN HARRIS
Zombie Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
I went out for a beer and now have
8733 Posts

Profile of Zombie Magic
Ben's a man that trusts his products!

I love Ben's Creeps matchbox trick!
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
Recovering Cafe addict with only
10798 Posts

Profile of saysold1
Any El**ley C's needed?
Creator of The SvenPad Supreme(R) line of aerospace level quality, made in the USA utility props. https://svenpads.com/
drawfull
View Profile
Veteran user
qmagi.com
328 Posts

Profile of drawfull
Quote:
On 2012-10-08 01:20, saysold1 wrote:
Any El**ley C's needed?

There's a video for SLICK up above, but yeah
Ben Harris
View Profile
V.I.P.
The Land Down Under
2126 Posts

Profile of Ben Harris
Of course, you can trim the counts out if you like. Just takes a little thought.

Cheers

Benny
EVERYTHING BEN HARRIS
swayne100
View Profile
Veteran user
389 Posts

Profile of swayne100
I've been looking to add an oil and water to my repertoire. Just bought this and breezed through the pdf. It sounds great! Definitely one of the cleanest I've come across.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Ben Harris:: Oil and Water Deluxe:: Review (0 Likes)
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL