The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Help required (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

SeaDawg
View Profile
Special user
The Lunatic Fringe
718 Posts

Profile of SeaDawg
As some of you may know, I have spent the past 2 years struggling with RA (rhumeatoid arthritis) and my hands are not getting much better... some days after an hour or so of practice I have such severe hand pain that it is unbearable... so coins are pretty much out, cards are becoming a problem at times...

A friend suggested exploring mentalism, which is a field Ihaven't delved into much...

Any suggestions as to books, DVD's or specific pieces that might be a great starter...

My performing persona is a lot like the great Matt Schulien. Rather than confrontational magic I like the "wouldn't it be amazing if" style.

Thanks the seadawg
Crazy people take the psycho-path thru the forest...
Dreadnought
View Profile
Special user
Athens, Georgia
836 Posts

Profile of Dreadnought
"13 Steps to Mentalism" by Corinda is the logical starting point. This book is to mentalism what "Expert at the Card Table" is to card magic.

Good luck and God bless you in your endeavors.
Peace

"Ave Maria gratia plena Dominus tecum..."

Scott

Would you do anything for the person you love?
Mark Rough
View Profile
Inner circle
Ivy, Virginia
2110 Posts

Profile of Mark Rough
A few years back Bob Cassidy wrote up "The Thirty Nine Steps" (I believe it's in his book, Fundamentals) that is a good reading list for mentalists. I believe Fundamentals is available at lybrary.com.

Yup, here it is:

http://www.lybrary.com/fundamentals-p-56......rs_id=41

(Generally, I hate ebooks, but this is worth getting, printing and binding.)

So, while your persona seems quite bit different from Dr. Bob, there's still a lot to be gained from checking this book out, even if it's only for the chapter I mentioned.

You might also want to check out some bizarre stuff. Often the mechanics can be simple, but the effect can be devastating.

Good luck, my friend, and have fun!
What would Wavy do?
stashu
View Profile
Regular user
155 Posts

Profile of stashu
Hey SeaDawg! I'm new too, so what I say may be of no value to you, but I would say 13 Steps & Practical Mental Effects are best to get you started! You'll learn a lot of fx, but you also learn a lot of important techniques like the NW, billets! I have carpel tunnel, so I send you my best wishes and hope you get better!
Jamie D
View Profile
Inner circle
Ontario, Canada
2292 Posts

Profile of Jamie D
May I mention Ted Lesley's paramiracles book is great. Also, anything by richard Osterlind is gold. I would highly suggest his easy to master mental mirricals dvd's as a satrting point but really anything by him is pure gold in my opinion. I would also recomend the psi series by banachek as it is wonderfull as well.

Daren
Twitter @darjames
Christopher Taylor
View Profile
V.I.P.
British Columbia Canada
2275 Posts

Profile of Christopher Taylor
While the 13 steps and the others mentioned above are all excellent, I tend to recommend Max Maven's book, "Prism" as a starting point for experienced magicians moving into mentalism. Cheers.

Christopher
Christopher Taylor

Member P.E.A.

www.taylorimagineering.com

MAKING MENTALISM MORE IMPOSSIBLE
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13151 Posts

Profile of Tony Iacoviello
Who says you can't teach an old dawg new tricks?

Sent you an PM my friend.
scottybarnhart
View Profile
New user
81 Posts

Profile of scottybarnhart
Definitely, definitely start with Corinda's "13 Steps" for the fundamentals and Annemann's "Practical Mental Magic" for demonstrations. After going through those (it doesn't take long!) you can then move on to virtually anything. I think after those, Osterlind's "Easy to Master Mental Miracles" is good.
"Talent is luck. The important thing in life is courage." - Woody Allen, Manhattan
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18816 Posts

Profile of IAIN
I would say there's plenty of life in the old dawg yet - and to try out karl Fulves self working mental magic...there's a poker demo in there that requires no sleights, but is superb...especially if you use an esp deck instead....

and a few other gems, in fact, if you don't own any of karl's books - invest in them, some of his card magic books can be easily adapted to postcards, photos and so on, and therefore take on a life of their own...AND you wont have to worry about R.A...

good luck, have fun, and hope your R.A. imrpoves/becomes more manageable...
I've asked to be banned
Tom Jorgenson
View Profile
Inner circle
LOOSE ANGLES, CALIFORNIA
4452 Posts

Profile of Tom Jorgenson
I Ditto and second the Fulves books. You've got the personallity to bring any of it off...and self working usually means a respite for your hands. You can jump into Fulves stuff immediately, and for $6 or so a book.
We dance an invisible dance to music they cannot hear.
markthorold
View Profile
Inner circle
Shrunken heads atop
1943 Posts

Profile of markthorold
Apart from books check out any items put out by Rick Maue ,for a starter Id heartily recommend Mixed emotions .Its a hands off piece that plays for small and large audiences .
Regards Mark
E.O.I
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Help required (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL