The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Best Book Of The Year Awards? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Peo Olsson
View Profile
Inner circle
Stockholm, Sweden
3260 Posts

Profile of Peo Olsson
Unfourtunally I can't keep on holding this anual award.
Hopefully somebody that love books as much as me can from now on.
Pictured to the left my hero and me during FISM 2006 in Stockholm.
Leo Reynolds Jr
View Profile
Special user
864 Posts

Profile of Leo Reynolds Jr
This is sad news,
I used your list to buy several good book.

All The Best
Leo Jr.
Andi Peters
View Profile
Inner circle
1330 Posts

Profile of Andi Peters
Any volunteers?
Adam Wood
View Profile
Loyal user
Ontario, Canada
225 Posts

Profile of Adam Wood
PM Sent.
“The hard must become habit. The habit must become easy. The easy must become beautiful.” -Doug Henning

"Don't make magic impossible, make impossible magic!" - Adam

PEACE, LOVE & MAGIC!!!
Peo Olsson
View Profile
Inner circle
Stockholm, Sweden
3260 Posts

Profile of Peo Olsson
It looks like Mr Wood will be the one that will take over.
Andi Peters
View Profile
Inner circle
1330 Posts

Profile of Andi Peters
Nice one Woody!

Let me be the first to offer a nomination.

Jon Allen's Experience.
Caliban
View Profile
Special user
727 Posts

Profile of Caliban
I know it's only September, but have there been less books released this year? Last year I voted for David Regal's book but there were also several others that were real contenders: Goeffrey Durham, Ian Keable, Jack Parker ... etc.

I haven't bought a single book this year that I would want to nominate.
Andi Peters
View Profile
Inner circle
1330 Posts

Profile of Andi Peters
So far Jon Allen's Experience is in the lead.
Adam Wood
View Profile
Loyal user
Ontario, Canada
225 Posts

Profile of Adam Wood
Although these aren't official votes, I'm very glad that there is such enthusiasm for this year's best book award. As a lover of literature I await this year's best book, as voted on by the Café members, with as much interest and eagerness as you yourself do! Keep thinking and doing your research, most especially on those books that are not yet in your library, to come up with your personal nomination for best book of 2009. I hope that everyone who had bought a book published this year casts their vote, and tho those who have not, what book has been recommend to you most? I hope that everyone takes part in this year's best book award! I know a lot of people wait and see what book is selected, but won't participate in the voting process, don't let others speak for you, have your own say! Let everyone know what book you think is the best offering of 2009!

Take care and don't forget to VOTE!!!

Adam Wood
“The hard must become habit. The habit must become easy. The easy must become beautiful.” -Doug Henning

PEACE, LOVE & MAGIC!!!
mrehula
View Profile
Loyal user
209 Posts

Profile of mrehula
Quote:
On 2009-09-02 05:41, Caliban wrote:
I know it's only September, but have there been less books released this year? Last year I voted for David Regal's book but there were also several others that were real contenders: Goeffrey Durham, Ian Keable, Jack Parker ... etc.

I haven't bought a single book this year that I would want to nominate.

I've been thinking the exact same thing!
Peo Olsson
View Profile
Inner circle
Stockholm, Sweden
3260 Posts

Profile of Peo Olsson
Is the Essential Dai Vernon concidered a reprint or not, as it collect all Lewis Ganson's old books?
bugjack
View Profile
Inner circle
New York, New York
1624 Posts

Profile of bugjack
Quote:
On 2009-09-02 23:18, Adam Wood wrote:
Although these aren't official votes, I'm very glad that there is such enthusiasm for this year's best book award. As a lover of literature I await this year's best book, as voted on by the Café members, with as much interest and eagerness as you yourself do! Keep thinking and doing your research, most especially on those books that are not yet in your library, to come up with your personal nomination for best book of 2009. I hope that everyone who had bought a book published this year casts their vote, and tho those who have not, what book has been recommend to you most? I hope that everyone takes part in this year's best book award! I know a lot of people wait and see what book is selected, but won't participate in the voting process, don't let others speak for you, have your own say! Let everyone know what book you think is the best offering of 2009!

Take care and don't forget to VOTE!!!

Adam Wood

Are you suggesting that people should vote on a best book they haven't read, just one that's been recommended to them?
Barry Donovan
View Profile
Special user
848 Posts

Profile of Barry Donovan
Well I'm not sure when High Spots was released but think it was this year?

but high spots caleb wiles for me although only 70 odd pages is personally my fave
when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth
michaelmystic2003
View Profile
Inner circle
3062 Posts

Profile of michaelmystic2003
Was Oliver Meech's book The Plot Thickens released this year?
Learn more about my upcoming book of close up magic and theory SYNTHESIS & SECRETS: A Magic Book in Four Acts: https://www.michaelkrasworks.com/synthesis-secrets
Adam Wood
View Profile
Loyal user
Ontario, Canada
225 Posts

Profile of Adam Wood
Bugjack,

How will I KNOW that you read the book you will nominate? Of course I would hope that everyone nominates a book they've actually read, but like in any other electoral processes, people may nominate and vote for the selection of their choice; whether they know anything about it or not. I'm sure that in past years people have voted for books they've never read, but maybe because it had been talked about and recommend so often, they voted for it. I'd love it if only those who had read a book participated so that the results would be based solely on the books merits, but I believe such thing to be completely impossible. Remember, this is about fun and I hope that every participant keeps that rule number one!

Best always,

Adam

PEACE, LOVE & MAGIC!!!
bugjack
View Profile
Inner circle
New York, New York
1624 Posts

Profile of bugjack
Sure, I'm sure people in the past have voted a book they haven't read. That's different from encouraging people to do so. I don't think this is about "fun" as much as it is about trying to recognize the top book issued to this community. I'm sure the Café's Best Book winners receive some increased sales and increased recognition, so there's ample reason to take things seriously.

Peo has done this for years, now he's stepped down and the ring has been passed. Great. Just my two cents, but it would seem important to lay down some simple rules or directives designed to ensure that voting is taken seriously. Like, perhaps, a date late in the year upon which a list of eligible books is listed and when voting starts, and a date voting ends. And to maybe let the thread go dead until then. Otherwise people will be chiming in with questions and votes long before it's really practical to accept them. But, again, just my two cents.
Adam Wood
View Profile
Loyal user
Ontario, Canada
225 Posts

Profile of Adam Wood
Bugjack, I'd rather include than exclude, I'm encourging people to nominate and vote, that's all. How they vote is completely up to them. Giving out the info now, which may very well be forgoten and as you said could generate questions and early votes long before the nominating process even beigns, would just be counter-productive. Café members will be notified with a post well in advance of the start of the award process so they will have lots of time to moniate and vote. Using a forum such as this to accurtely determine the definative best book of 2009 is quite simply impossible. This award will go to the best book as nominatted and voted on by Café members. As for passing the ring, I prefer to look at it like a relay race. The first runner extends the batton, the second runner grabs hold, but only when the first is sure that the other runner has a firm grasp does he let go for good. When the award have been completed is when I'll know whether or not I've done a good job. Everyone will enjoy the best book award in their own way, though I do hope that it includes a healthy dose of of good old fashioned fun! My 1 and 3/4 cents (CAN U.S. exchange rate!) Smile

PEACE, LOVE & MAGIC!!!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Best Book Of The Year Awards? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL