The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » General book question... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

peterdgr8
View Profile
New user
94 Posts

Profile of peterdgr8
Should the performance personality of an author be taken into account on a book buying decision?

Or should one merely buy a book that looks interesting and adapt effects to your own stage persona even though a large part of the success of executing a particular effect described in the book is very much integrated with the author's stage persona (that I may have seen on either DVD or YouTube clip) which I may not have?

I'd love to read some of your thoughts on this.
Mark Boody Illusionist
View Profile
Inner circle
1339 Posts

Profile of Mark Boody Illusionist
Peter
I believe you should be buying a book for the info. it contains. Just like when you buy a magic trick, you adapt it to your style of performing. There is only 1 David Copperfield or Lance Burton, don't be a copycat, take those ideas & make them original to you.
peterdgr8
View Profile
New user
94 Posts

Profile of peterdgr8
Good answer. Thank you.
rjthomp
View Profile
Regular user
Pasadena
194 Posts

Profile of rjthomp
If the performer has a very "strong" performing style, which doesn't match yours, I'd definitely take it into account. Much more of an issue with with DVDs than books though. And for people just starting out its a good idea to be exposed to as many different styles as possible...

-Rob
Adam Wood
View Profile
Loyal user
Ontario, Canada
225 Posts

Profile of Adam Wood
No, the performance personality of an author shouldn't really be taken into account when buying books, just the information contained. I could never be as wacky as Tom Mullica or as serious as Phil Goldstein, but I love to do the tricks they've invented utilizing my own performance skills and personality. You can adapt most effects to your own performance style. Be you and you'll be original! Smile
“The hard must become habit. The habit must become easy. The easy must become beautiful.” -Doug Henning

"Don't make magic impossible, make impossible magic!" - Adam

PEACE, LOVE & MAGIC!!!
hbwolkov
View Profile
Inner circle
2947 Posts

Profile of hbwolkov
I agree with the stated remarks. Writing ability does not usually correlate with performance style and ability. Purchasing decisions should be based on the merits of the book not on a performance of the author. Isn't wonderful when a talented performer is an exemplary author.
Northern California
Jeff Haas
View Profile
Special user
917 Posts

Profile of Jeff Haas
I think it's important to know what type of performer the book is about. Can you imagine trying to understand tricks by Tom Mullica or David Williamson or Eugene Burger if you'd never seen them perform?

Once you know what the performer is like, it makes it easier to adapt the material to yourself.
nanowarrior
View Profile
New user
17 Posts

Profile of nanowarrior
I read about a trick by Tamariz, which required the performer to have lost track of something in his pockets. Well, some performers have such a meticulous personality that they cannot pull this off: as they do it, it rings false to the audience. So you have to keep it into account I believe.
markmiller
View Profile
Special user
731 Posts

Profile of markmiller
Good to be exposed to as many different styles and performers as possible when starting out because beginners rarely have established their own style yet. Also if you like a Tamariz effect that requires you to lose track of something, like the example above, and that doesn't fit you and you still want to do that effect. It will force you to be creative and develop a different plot point or handling which then makes the trick become more you.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » General book question... (0 Likes)
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.07 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL